Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. Collapse Details
    equipment Dolly - Production Cart Suggestions
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, the state.
    Posts
    3,606
    Default
    Hello Listers,

    I've been considering the purchase of a new dolly-cart to replace the hodge-podge of things I'm using now. Seems the most common solution would be a Rock and Roller. In particular, this appeals to me since some of their models have an accessory shelf which can be used on set for a variety of purposes. And it won't break the bank at around $350 sitting on my porch for the cart and shelf. Side note, it seems the Rock and Roller is marketed by other companies outside of the video industry; see U-Line for example. They seem to be identical. One thing very important to me would be the wheel quality thinking something that could roll on either driveway gravel or grass. I really like the idea of the accessory shelf, though I could certainly craft something similar myself.

    Can you suggest anything similar in price (under $500) that would be any better.

    TIA
    Grant


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,790
    Default
    Best bang-for-the-buck: Rock 'n Roller.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    181
    Default
    x2 . get the no flat wheels


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,696
    Default
    Didn’t we all have this conversation a couple months ago?

    If you don’t need to collapse the cart for transport, consider a Rubbermaid utility cart. It’s a big plastic thing that’s pretty indestructible and the price is right. Commonly used on NY sets. Stick a sheet of plywood underneath and have it extend out the front maybe 8”. By drilling a couple holes at the top shelf you can put tripods & light stands on the plywood lip and strap them in place with a bungee cord. Add your own casters with tires (two that rotate direction, two that don’t just like on a car) by replacing the originals and drill pass through holes in the plywood so it’s squeezed between the wheels & cart. Drill some more holes in the sides of the shelves for additional bungees to hole cases in place and then you can roll the whole thing onto a truck built and strap it in place, ready to go for the next day so you can head home.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,018
    Default
    I will chime in again to say test the one you get, if you get an RnR, cause quality is all over the place. Wheels can be wonky and roll roughly, like you've got 1500 lbs on there instead of 100. The handles can bow outward over time. axels can bow in the middle causing the wheels to not be perfectly vertical, other issues exist as well. Someone else on here said they don't on those carts lasting more than a few years. Magliner would be the next step up but even the smallest stripped down one is heavy as hell (to me), don't extend as far (unless you get the larger model that won't fit in a lot of elevators or maybe vehicles for that matter) and don't collapse as small. Also more expensive (sometimes way more). BUT, they roll like a dream and will probably last a lifetime.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,790
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Didn’t we all have this conversation a couple months ago?
    Yep. Which means it's probably about time for another "Hey, I need a $100 tripod for my $50K RED. Any recommendations?" thread.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, the state.
    Posts
    3,606
    Default
    OP here, sorry if I missed a thread....anyone have much good to say about the search function at DVXUser?

    Thanks for the responses, more or less confirming the Rocker as the best economy option.

    Coming from some fabrication background, I thought seriously about fabbing one up from aluminum. Then I slapped myself. I'd rather be shooting than fabbing, I already did my shop time in a previous life.

    I probably should have mentioned that I prefer this to be a folding unit as I use a pickup truck and SUV, so no lift or ramp.

    Run&Gun said:
    "Yep. Which means it's probably about time for another "Hey, I need a $100 tripod for my $50K RED. Any recommendations?" thread."

    The camera vs audio budget discrepancy is what always amuses me most.

    Best, Grant


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,790
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    OP here, sorry if I missed a thread....anyone have much good to say about the search function at DVXUser?

    Thanks for the responses, more or less confirming the Rocker as the best economy option.

    Coming from some fabrication background, I thought seriously about fabbing one up from aluminum. Then I slapped myself. I'd rather be shooting than fabbing, I already did my shop time in a previous life.

    I probably should have mentioned that I prefer this to be a folding unit as I use a pickup truck and SUV, so no lift or ramp.

    Run&Gun said:
    "Yep. Which means it's probably about time for another "Hey, I need a $100 tripod for my $50K RED. Any recommendations?" thread."

    The camera vs audio budget discrepancy is what always amuses me most.

    Best, Grant
    If I had the skills, I think I'd make an "ultimate rock 'n roller". I have some ideas, but not the talent or tools...

    I ALMOST put: and the "I need a $50 wireless for my movie" thread, too. Honestly. And it's not just here. I've seen it on REDUser, also. So many people are so clueless when it comes to knowing what it takes and what goes into doing professional audio properly.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    329
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    If I had the skills, I think I'd make an "ultimate rock 'n roller". I have some ideas, but not the talent or tools...




    Gentle to the gear, yet high performance...
    Last edited by laverdir; 10-06-2019 at 12:19 AM.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •