Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DDort View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Walt Disney lied about his age trying to join the army to fight the Germans and he wasn't anti-semitic. Not sure if you're spreading fake news or not. I'm no fan of Disney Co., but for other reasons.

I agree with everything you said about Harvey Weinstein. I started to watch a movie the other night but promptly switched titles after seeing his name as executive producer.

The thing is, even if I wanted to watch Weinstein's or Polanski's movies, I know I just couldn't get into them. I'm unable to suspend disbelief or push aside the horrible things they've done.

I find it disheartening that so many filmmakers are able to do so.

Dark days.
    you will end up with very few films to watch if you don't watch any film where there was a bad person involved..

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, and what about other forms of art, like books, plays, paintings, music? What about other businesses and products: cars, software, hardware, websites, grocery stores, restaurants? What if someone involved in one of those things did something bad?

The punishment for a crime are things like fines, jail time, etc. There is no need to try to --- what? --- wipe their existence from memory, burn everything they ever touched to the ground. I don't feel the need to censor works of art because of the artists' lives, much less censor even the discussion thereof. That seems like it's punishing ourselves for their actions.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 03-25-2020 at 02:32 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    "you will end up with very few films to watch if you don't watch any film where there was a bad person involved." this.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DDort View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Walt Disney lied about his age trying to join the army to fight the Germans and he wasn't anti-semitic. Not sure if you're spreading fake news or not. I'm no fan of Disney Co., but for other reasons.

I agree with everything you said about Harvey Weinstein. I started to watch a movie the other night but promptly switched titles after seeing his name as executive producer.

The thing is, even if I wanted to watch Weinstein's or Polanski's movies, I know I just couldn't get into them. I'm unable to suspend disbelief or push aside the horrible things they've done.

I find it disheartening that so many filmmakers are able to do so.

Dark days.
    Walt Disney was 40 years old when the U.S. got involved in WWll. Hardly under age. Better check your facts before you start parroting fake news.
    Whether you're comfortable watching something because someone involved is horrible has absolutely nothing to do with the quality. If you insist on reducing the whole of a person to one thing, incapable of discerning the good from the bad, you'll miss out on a whole lot in life, and not just films.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345