Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks for sharing this Charles, very interesting write up, setup and job. Is Adam C involved in this iteration?

I've only worked with puppets once. I directed and produced a pretty high end corporate film that was an homage
    to Thunderbirds, which I loved as a kid. This was back in the days, about 20 years ago when corporate media had real budgets and I
    was allocated $350,000.00 to create a national sales meeting opening film that had a live audience of about 3,000, but
    was also satellite uplinked live to another 15,000 employees all over the world.

I hired a special effects house in LA to construct the marionettes and to hire
    the puppeteers. We had a full cast of human marionettes, plus a dog and a robot. We shot five different sets to make up
    an epic journey/battle in outer space. I shot it on 35mm film on a single Arri BL-4, using a crew of 25.

I couldn't agree more, working with puppets is difficult and for my space adventure, these were marionettes with strings above and sometimes
    rods from the sides and below so getting them to move in the way that I wanted them to for the story was exceedingly difficult. Making that little
    10 minute film increased my respect immensely for what Gerry and Sylvia Anderson accomplished in the Thunderbirds episodes,
    Thunderbirds was kind of genius and still stands up, in its own campy and weird British way today. I'm still a fan.

I can't comprehend the amount of multi-tasking you must have had going on at your cart and running through your head. Always appreciate you
    sharing your experiences with us, you work on some really interesting content and your insights are always intriguing. At some point,
    I will probably write a story on the new BMD ATEM switcher, probably early next year, it would be good to get a few quotes from you and some
    BTS snapshots that show how you use them for your cart, if you're game?
    Last edited by puredrifting; 09-27-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Yes, Adam Carolla has recorded a few calls and is an EP on the show.

Everything I've heard about marionettes is that they represent a big challenge, especially in quantity--the stories about Team America are legend. I was a big fan of Thunderbirds in my youth. The production design was off the chain on that show.

Re: ATEM switcher, happy to discuss. I use it extensively, not just for switching sources but I take regular frame grabs and bring them into the media pool as lighting and framing references, it's invaluable for that. On Crank Yankers, I have also done on-set previz pulling keys for the blue screen work if we have the background reference stills available.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    Yes, Adam Carolla has recorded a few calls and is an EP on the show.

Everything I've heard about marionettes is that they represent a big challenge, especially in quantity--the stories about Team America are legend. I was a big fan of Thunderbirds in my youth. The production design was off the chain on that show.

Re: ATEM switcher, happy to discuss. I use it extensively, not just for switching sources but I take regular frame grabs and bring them into the media pool as lighting and framing references, it's invaluable for that. On Crank Yankers, I have also done on-set previz pulling keys for the blue screen work if we have the background reference stills available.
    Very cool. I'll hit you up next year sometime when you have time and we can get a few impressions from you about how you use them.

I had a chance to work with the Chiodo Brothers a few times when I worked at a production company in Burbank, I used to go to their shop over on Flower Street and got to see all of the puppets from Team America close up, this would have been right after they made the film.
    They are really creative guys and have done so much stuff that people didn't know they were involved in. Our in-house composer was the composer for Killer Klowns and he was buds obviously with the Chiodos. Some very creative people in our industry. I was lucky enough to shoot some
    interviews with the Chiodos sitting down with Ray Harryhausen, who was friends with my boss. I miss those days, Ray was the coolest guy, he gave me a mold taken from the actual Mighty Joe Young model that fit over the armature he made when I did a little bonus piece on Ray and Mighty Joe Young. I still have it in my office.

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Wow, you had a lot of great experiences! Meeting Ray Harryhausen--legend!
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Here's a complete episode:

Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

6. Collapse Details
    Great job, Charles. And you're right, the background stuff makes it. The aquarium was hilarious.

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Our production designer Gary Kordan posted a bunch of behind the scenes photos from this week's episode--very glad he did! It's fun to step back from the sets and see how crazy things get from "floor level" down!

71846422_10156998250670787_9214976513957429248_o.jpg

72267834_10156998251670787_1587911836680847360_o.jpg

71655779_10156998251450787_3352355775644172288_o.jpg

72143005_10156998251810787_2548633400172871680_o.jpg

71046287_10156998250970787_720947811532668928_o.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CharlesPapert; 09-29-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Wow, you had a lot of great experiences! Meeting Ray Harryhausen--legend!
    Ray was a true gentleman, probably the most creative individual I have ever met. I shared many a meal with him, interviewed him and just hung out with him quite a few times, he was a legend and an amazing artist.
    I have been privleged to work with and get to know many legends in our business but Ray was probably one of the most talented and sort of mythical amongst filmmakers.

Attached is a cast Alginate image of Mighty Joe Young that Ray gave me when we were shooting tabletop of the actual armature he used in the film. For those of you too young to have ever seen it, Mighty Joe Young, made in 1949, was the first real tour de force stop motion animated film.
    The film was considered a seminal work by almost all practical effects artists, animators and major filmmakers and Ray was the man who did it, his patience in doing the stop motion, by himself, day after day, was unbelievable.

Joe.jpg

Last edited by puredrifting; 09-29-2019 at 10:34 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Mid-season clip reel, to be updated once the season finishes airing.

Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

10. Collapse Details
    Mid-season clip reel, to be updated once the season finishes airing.

Great looking setups and lighting Charles!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12