Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Me asking questions again - with its 8-bit codec, have you tried to push the color grading just for the heck of it?

DP Review posted a video about a trip to Mongolia and the interior clips looked gorgeous; exterior just OK.

2. Collapse Details
    thanks for the tip... I took a look at that video, way bigger stuff than I've been able to do so far. Lots of small jobs and editing these past couple months. Playtime has been at a minimum.

Re: the Mongolian footage, I can sympathize... a lot of that video was shot outside, on the treeless steppe, with miles of clear blue sky, in the middle of the day. It's about the worst situation you can get for an 8-bit camera.

On a couple of my shoots, I noticed that the stock non-PP holds details in the shadows pretty well, but not the highlights... so it's typically better to expose for the highlights and lift the shadows vs. the inverse. The codec withstands some minor grading... it's manageable, but you can't be the least bit sloppy with your exposure... especially as you climb in the ISO. As with other cameras like it, Slog2 is a bit easier to work with than Slog3... I've done a couple jobs with Slog2 and Phantom LUTs, and it didn't fall apart (unless, as mentioned, I blew highlights or severely underexposed).

This camera is gradually replacing my FS5 for web jobs, which are going to be crammed down into 8 bits for delivery anyway... and in a pinch, heck, "Parts Unknown" used A7's frequently for various broadcast shots. I'm not asking it to be my forever A-cam.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

3. Collapse Details
    A few days ago I was looking for the Alexa LF clips on YouTube. There's a short film about a similar subject that's in the Made in Mongolia project - horses and horse breeders under a bright sun. And it looks just about the same. Like video.

Not that ARRI would care one way or another. Its stack of Oscar winners says enough.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123