1. Collapse Details
    Shooting with gamma off
    This may be an odd question or I may be interpreting it incorrectly, but does anyone know what is happening when you switch off the gamma in the F35/23?

Is it showing a linear image that you could otherwise gamma encode in post?
    It produces a contrasty dark looking image when switched off, which looks similar to what I get with my film scanner when set to a linear mode.

But then I could be wrong.

I would assume there wouldn't be much benefit of using the gamma-off mode unless doing VFX work that has to be composited in linear and also recording to high bitrate or uncompressed.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by helweg View Post
    This may be an odd question or I may be interpreting it incorrectly, but does anyone know what is happening when you switch off the gamma in the F35/23?

Is it showing a linear image that you could otherwise gamma encode in post?
    It produces a contrasty dark looking image when switched off, which looks similar to what I get with my film scanner when set to a linear mode.

But then I could be wrong.

I would assume there wouldn't be much benefit of using the gamma-off mode unless doing VFX work that has to be composited in linear and also recording to high bitrate or uncompressed.
    Interesting but even if this is the case there really isn't much benifit even for vfx work. If all that was desired was to fit a higher dyamic range into a file the data could just as easily be stored linearly, the reason log curves are used is they destribute the values in a more efficient way that makes the files more flexible for grading in post.