1. Collapse Details
    XDCA-FS7 Extension Back Question
    Hello Friends,

I have pretty basic question that I might think anyone who has the extension back could answer, but Mr. Google can't seem to answer, so here I am.

If you're using the XDCA-FS7 extension back, and you choose to record Prores, what else can you do at the same time? Is the RAW output still available for 4K? Can you simultaneously record any sort of XAVC-I codec internally? I'm guessing probably not.

The reason this has come up for me is that I have a client who needs a speech recorded, and they plan to edit in iMovie. I know, I know, iMovie....save the jokes and sarcasm, I'm just trying to be helpful and not spend a whole bunch of time transcoding. I also hate the idea of recording anything other than 4K.

My original plan was to rent an external recorder like an Odyssey, but then someone reminded me that with the XDCA-FS7 you can record Prores.

Bottom line, I want to record, hand off footage, and be done. I also don't want my client to associate me with lots of transcoding.

Thanks!

Tim

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintegreo View Post
    Hello Friends,

If you're using the XDCA-FS7 extension back, and you choose to record Prores, what else can you do at the same time? Is the RAW output still available for 4K? Can you simultaneously record any sort of XAVC-I codec internally? I'm guessing probably not.
    I see you mention 4K. Remember if shooting with the CA back and shooting ProRes it is limited to HD. There is no 4K ProRes recording with the CA back. Whilst recording ProRes with the back it is recording to your XQD cards so no you can't record XAVC at the same time. What I do if I have a requirement like that is to shoot XAVC internally as normal and use an Atomos to record either HD or 4k externally depending on the shoot requirements. With the Atomos it doubles up as a producer/directors monitor to keep them happy. Also works well for quick reviews on location, in the car back at the hotel etc. Beats having to play back from the camera. I had one producer sit for hours on a plane logging and making notes off the Atomos on our way back from Europe. A last point is if you don't need all the I/O capability of the CA back it's cheaper to rent or if buying to go with one of the Atomos monitor/recorders. Re the RAW output being available I think it is while shooting ProRes but it may well be limited to HD. I never had a need to check that out so someone else may be able to answer that question for you.

Chris Young

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you Chris! Very helpful!

Tim