Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    If you can state your HOW's zip code, I could recommend a frequency bank/channels which should work. However there are always variables; antenna placement, specific Tx/Rx settings, undocumented RF in proximity to your location, ect., ect.
    btw, I work a lot in Midtown Manhattan (aka, 'RF hell') and usually use an external RF scanner to choose a 'friendly' frequency range.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    If you can state your HOW's zip code, I could recommend a frequency bank/channels which should work. However there are always variables; antenna placement, specific Tx/Rx settings, undocumented RF in proximity to your location, ect., ect.
    btw, I work a lot in Midtown Manhattan (aka, 'RF hell') and usually use an external RF scanner to choose a 'friendly' frequency range.
    Hi @Rick R ,

Thanks for the note and offer to give your expert input. I am located in Akron, Ohio 44303 and the church is St. Vincent ( connected to St Vincent/St Mary High School where Lebron James went to school ). I utilized the sennheiser frequency finder by plugging in my location and came up with the results you see in the attached jpeg. I also viewed this very well done, simple and straight forward 10 minute sennheiser G3/G4 setup video on YouTube. My next question is, how many choices are there
    per frequency? In other words, there seem to be choices between for example 557 MhZ and 558 Mhz, because in that video... the fellow has his frequency ( at the end ) set and matched at 557.925 . In making a recommendation of the Sennheiser G4 kit and which of the 3 frequency ranges to get, A1, A or G,
    it appears from the Sennheiser frequency search for Akron, Ohio 44303 that they would be safe with any of the three. Does that sound fair to say?

Thanks.

Dennis

sennheiser_frequency_finder_Akron_44303.jpg

3. Collapse Details
    The radius parameter you have is set to 10 miles. Not nearly enough to adequately ID potential interference. Use a radius of 70 miles..
    Based on the TV channels in the Akron OH area using up to eight Sennheiser G4 100 systems w/ US frequency block G. (566-608 MHz)
    NOTE: I could not find a G4 bank/channel chart so this is based on the chart for the G3 EW100 Range G
    (Radio Microphone EW100/300/500 G3 Range G (566-608 MHz, TV channels Ch33-Ch38)

- Best bet: TV Channel 33, (584-590 Mhz), highest modulation: -80.7 dB
    Bank 4, Channels 1 thru 8 will be intermodulation-free

- Good: TV Channel 35, (596-602 Mhz) highest mod: -77.9 dB
    Bank 6, Channels 1 thru 8 will be intermodulation-free

- Should work: TV Channel 32, (578-584 Mhz) highest mod. -76.2 dB
    Bank 3, Channels 1 thru 8 will be intermodulation-free

(Channels 9-12 in these banks are also intermodulation-free but on different TV channel with more signal strength.)
    There are other frequency options but I do not have time to calculate them.
    Any one of these three banks should work and use channels in the same bank
    Last edited by Rick R; 09-19-2019 at 10:23 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Consult with Sennhieser, last time I contacted them about this topic they were very helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    "Consult with Sennhieser, last time I contacted them about this topic they were very helpful."

- Sennheiser support is helpful but in terms of frequency selection would likely recommend the Rx internal scanner, which in my experience is inadequate, especially for populated RF environments, which Akron seems to be.

Update: I found the G4 ew100 frequency table chart, G4 banks 3, 4 and 6 are similar to the G3.

- Best bet: TV Channel 33, (584-590 Mhz), lowest mod: -80.7 dB
    Bank 4, Channels 1 thru 9 will be intermodulation-free

- Good bet: Channel 35, (596-602 Mhz) lowest mod: -77.9 dB

- Should work: TV Channel 32, (578-584 Mhz) lowest mod: -76.2 dB
    Bank 3, Channels 1 thru 9 will be intermodulation-free

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah the internal channel stepping scanner is OK, but not really real time. It misses a lot of busty transmissions.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    "Consult with Sennhieser, last time I contacted them about this topic they were very helpful."

- Sennheiser support is helpful but in terms of frequency selection would likely recommend the Rx internal scanner, which in my experience is inadequate, especially for populated RF environments, which Akron seems to be.

Update: I found the G4 ew100 frequency table chart, G4 banks 3, 4 and 6 are similar to the G3.

- Best bet: TV Channel 33, (584-590 Mhz), lowest mod: -80.7 dB
    Bank 4, Channels 1 thru 9 will be intermodulation-free

- Good bet: Channel 35, (596-602 Mhz) lowest mod: -77.9 dB

- Should work: TV Channel 32, (578-584 Mhz) lowest mod: -76.2 dB
    Bank 3, Channels 1 thru 9 will be intermodulation-free
    Hi @Rick R,

Thanks again for the input and also for taking the time to find the G4 chart. I watched this very well done 10 minute YouTube video on setting up your Sennheiser G3 wireless kit and it was very helpful on learning some basics that I did not know before ( disabling the 'mute' button on the transmitter sounds like a great idea ). Can you take a look at the attached images and see if I am understanding things correctly? Instead of using the 'scan for frequencies option' on the transmitter then syncing to the receiver, I would use the 'manual tune option' to tune the recommended frequencies in banks 4, 6 and 3 into a list, then sync?

Thanks.

Dennis

ew_100_G4_G_Range_Frequency_Sheet_01_2018-2.jpg

sennheiser_frequency_finder.jpg

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, I think you basically understand the procedure using the on-line frequency finder method.. except you stated: "[I]Instead of using the 'scan for frequencies option' on the transmitter" The frequency scan option is in the receiver, not the transmitter, but we do not need that anyway and have already chosen exactly which bank and channel(s) to use. We just need to select the preset(s).
    Syncing the transmitter to the receiver to establish a radio link, is a different procedure.

You do not have to use the manual tune option. Just set the first system receiver to preset Bank 4 / Channel 1, then 'sync' the transmitter to the receiver to establish the radio link ..or.. set the transmitter to the same bank & channel manually.
    Do the same on the second system except use preset channel 2 in Bank 4.
    If there are reception problems (which there probably won't be), try one of the other recommended channels in Bank 4.

Otherwise, for optimum performance keep the transmitter (Tx) and receiver (Rx) antennas in line-of-sight. Additonally avoid having the Tx antenna in contact with bare skin, this will signifiactly reduce RF strength, especally if the skin moist from sweat and such.
    I would consult the wearer prior to disabling the mute switch. Most of the pastors I've encountered are adept at using the function. OTOH, I disable the mute swtch or 'lock' the Tx for inexperienced folks
    Last edited by Rick R; 09-19-2019 at 04:08 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Hi @Rick R,

Thanks again for your expert input and going the extra mile to help me with my recommendation of the Sennheiser G4 wireless kit to my church. It was also quite an education for me as well. Do you have a website or Instagram that I can follow?

Best regards.

Dennis

10. Collapse Details
    How many systems are you buying? When you get up to about 4 of them you should consider the antenna divider. And if they are the same as the G3 systems, the combiner also powers the receivers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast