Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Glad to help Dennis.
    rraud.com There are no tutorials and such. Just a occupational website.. w/ resume, equipment, photos, contact, ect., ect.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Glad to help Dennis.
    rraud.com There are no tutorials and such. Just a occupational website.. w/ resume, equipment, photos, contact, ect., ect.
    Hi Rick,

Thanks again. I've sent you a message via your website contact form.
    You've got quite an impressive resume' and international experience.

Regards,

Dennis

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    How many systems are you buying? When you get up to about 4 of them you should consider the antenna divider. And if they are the same as the G3 systems, the combiner also powers the receivers.
    Hi @Greg_E ,

Thanks for the expert input and willingness to share your experience. The church had an audio house install their system ( see a 'frankensteined' image that I made of the full rack of components from several images, attached ).
    I am a parishioner who just happens to be a photographer, videographer. My audio knowledge is pretty limited but they asked me to consult on putting together a video workflow for videotaping various homilies at the church and embedding them in their website via YouTube.
    So I did some research on a very solid prosumer camcorder Canon Vixia HF G50. Also a wireless audio solution with their then, cheap Comica wireless kit. Well that kit went south
    and, through some great advice in this thread, I was able to recommend the Sennheiser G4 wireless kit in the 'G' frequency range with good frequency preset recommendations as well.

It appears that their house wireless system consists of two ElectroVoice receivers matched with two Electrovoice transmitters. I am not familiar with this brand but am doing some research. For some reason they were having trouble getting transmission from the deacon's wireless system for
    a while. Someone mentioned that they might need to get a wireless kit in the 'A' frequency range to remedy that. Well, with the expert advice I've gotten in this thread, I believe that thought is incorrect and it appears that there are plenty of solid usable preset frequencies in the 'G' range.

I'm thinking that, in a pinch, if they needed a third wireless system for a third participant on the sanctuary, they could use the Sennheiser G4 kit that the video person will be getting. Depending, of course, on how or if the G4 receiver could be hooked into their system. At the very least,
    they could use the G4 kit if one of the ElectroVoice units goes south, correct?

I wonder if I should recommend that they replace their ElectroVoice transmitters with G4? Could they be coupled with the ElectroVoice receivers? If you notice on the closeup of the two EV receivers, they are receiving a frequency of 614.400 and 674.950. In the research I've done on the Sennheisers 'G' range,
    they only go up to 608.000 frequency. Is that correct?

Anyway, just trying to be as helpful to them as possible, without them having to spend money on a 'new system' that their audio house mentioned they may need ( something about "frequencies are being eaten up by various electronic devices these days" ). Sounded like a soft sales pitch to me.

Here are the couple of reference images of their house audio rack:

a link to the below rack system that is full size for better viewing

stv_audio_rack_1800px.jpg

closeup_EV_receivers.jpg

I appreciate any input that you may have.

Thanks.

Dennis
    Last edited by droliff; 09-24-2019 at 08:00 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    I wonder if I should recommend that they replace their ElectroVoice transmitters with G4? Could they be coupled with the ElectroVoice receivers? If you notice on the closeup of the two EV receivers, they are receiving a frequency of 614.400 and 674.950. In the research I've done on the Sennheiser 'G' range,
    they only go up to 608.000 frequency. Is that correct
    ?"

> Yes, correct. The Sennheiser G4 'G' frequency block range, goes from 566 to 608 MHz.
    Even if the G4 Tx could be tuned to the same frequency as the EV-RE, it would not work well (the commanders are likely different).
    Most certainly recommend new systems, in July of next year, the frequencies in the EV system will be illegal to use (however I don't think the FCC would lockup your pastor).
    FWIW, most of the 608 to 700 mHz range was bought by T-Mobile in a previously held FCC auction (aka, money grab).. though the FCC deemed it a frequency restructure). The FCC also sold off the 700 mHz range a few years prior. The 500 mHz range.. should be legal to use for the next five or so years I would think.

5. Collapse Details
    I wonder if I should recommend that they replace their ElectroVoice transmitters with G4? Could they be coupled with the ElectroVoice receivers? If you notice on the closeup of the two EV receivers, they are receiving a frequency of 614.400 and 674.950. In the research I've done on the Sennheiser 'G' range,
    they only go up to 608.000 frequency. Is that correct
    ?"

> Yes, correct. The Sennheiser G4 'G' frequency block range, goes from 566 to 608 MHz.
    Even if the G4 Tx could be tuned to the same frequency as the EV-RE, it would not work well (the commanders are likely different).
    Most certainly recommend new systems, in July of next year, the frequencies in the EV system will be illegal to use (however I don't think the FCC would lockup your pastor).
    FWIW, most of the 608 to 700 mHz range was bought by T-Mobile in a previously held FCC auction (aka, money grab).. though the FCC deemed it a frequency restructure). The FCC also sold off the 700 mHz range a few years prior. The 500 mHz range.. should be legal to use for the next five or so years I would think.
    Hey Rick,

Thanks again for the expert input. That is really interesting that the EV frequency range will be illegal to use next year. I'm not really sure that I'm qualified to recommend something new for their house system. I guess I could do some research. However, it seems like, since I'm recommending the Sennheiser G4 kit for
    the video workflow, that possibly a Sennheiser solution for their house wireless system as well? Any suggestions, based on the little you can garner from their rack system. It's pretty greek to me all those components ha ha.

Dennis

6. Collapse Details
    - Is the sound to be sent to the (Nexia preamps and a recording device?
    - How big is the sanctuary?
    - is the rack mount / receivers in a back room?
    - What is the budget and how many systems?

FYI, line to mic level attenuation cable: The Senheiser SK-100 series body pack transmitters also have a line-level mode (uses a differently wired input plug)
    Last edited by Rick R; 09-25-2019 at 09:30 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    - Is the sound to be sent to the (Nexia preamps and a recording device?
    - How big is the sanctuary?
    - is the rack mount / receivers in a back room?
    - What is the budget and how many systems?

FYI, line to mic level attenuation cable: The Senheiser SK-100 series body pack transmitters also have a line-level mode (uses a differently wired input plug)
    Hi Rick,

Thanks for following this thread and offering your expert advice.

Is the sound to be sent to the (Nexia preamps and a recording device?
    I think so. Again, I'm not familiar with the various components in the rack, save for perhaps the ElectroVoice receivers.

How big is the sanctuary?
    I'm not exactly sure, in square feet. But here is a link to several images that may give you a visual reference St. Vincent DePaul Church, Akron, Ohio

is the rack mount / receivers in a back room?
    Yes, behind the sanctuary back wall

What is the budget and how many systems?
    Unfortunately I am not privy to the church's budget. But, I do know that currently they have two ElectroVoice wireless kits for the Pastor and Deacon voices. I am going to recommend for the video fellow, the Sennheiser G4 kit in the 'G' frequency range.

I did just receive an email from our choir director that said:

We just got the notice from the Diocese that we’ll have to adjust our
    system anyway, since we won’t be able to use most of the 600MHz
    bandwidth when 2020 rolls around. Paladin will have someone in sales
    get back to me
    Any of your expert input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Dennis

8. Collapse Details
    From the photos it appears to be a decent sized sanctuary, so that kind of rules out the Wi-Fi frequency (GHz) systems.. most have one-third the range of a UHF or VHF system.

"Yes, (receivers) behind the sanctuary back wall"
    As I previously stated, for glitch free performance, the receiver's antennas must be in the same room for line-of-site reception. Remote antennas are a good option, especially for more the one receiver.
    I would avoid using whoever installed the existing wireless systems in the first place for violating the line-of-site rule (wireless audio 101).
    IMO, a Sennheiser G4 series system with the EM100 base station receiver would work very nicely if properly set up at a relatively low cost. The competitively priced Shure systems are another option. The church should expect to pay at least $600 for each system (lavaliere or headset mic, transmitter and receiver). Of course that does not include installation and set-up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123