Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Fs700 and the new BMD video assist
    While no mention that it works with the VA, both the 5 and 7 inches can read sdi raw out-put. So, as far as I know, there are only 7 cameras that can do this, they are:

The Sony -FS700, FS-5, FS-7, FS-7MkII, Canon-C300MKII/C500 CDNG-Panasonic-VaricamLT, EVA1 So it's to BMD to serve these cameras.

The only requirement that I know that BMD must do is to profile the sensors which I think is not a great problem. But maybe a potential issue could be if the sensor is Braw capable.

Can anybody give specific fs700 sensor details and compare to the other sony, SDI raw out-put cameras?

Starmanric

2. Collapse Details
    Sony FS700, FS5 and FS7 all use the same sensor and raw format.
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

3. Collapse Details
    good to know. hope bmd can profile that sensor.

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    Sony FS700, FS5 and FS7 all use the same sensor and raw format.
    Each of those cameras need to be mapped differently. There are variations between the RAW data signals for each. Trust me I know.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

5. Collapse Details
    Is it difficult to profile?

Starmanric

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by starmanric View Post
    Is it difficult to profile?

Starmanric
    No, but it takes cooperation from Sony and time invested in each model. Not saying that either of these is an issue, but it isn't plug & play.

The FS700 is no longer in production and hasn't been for some time. BMD may look at its available man-hours and question how many units they would sell of their recorders to support a discontinued camera. Just conjecture.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

7. Collapse Details
    The fs700 was discontinued only a couple years ago so I'm sure that there are many out in the wild. I'm also sure that bmd wants to sell as many VA as possible mostly to spread the use of braw but if not there is always atomos.

I have mine with an 18-200mm power zoom f/3.5-6.3 PZ OSS and a smallhd sidefinder. This makes the camera a double duty workhorse both for run and gun and for narrative or docs. Though I use an Ursa for more cinema content. I just sold my af100 great camera.

Cheers
    Starmanric
    Last edited by starmanric; 09-24-2019 at 10:04 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Each of those cameras need to be mapped differently. There are variations between the RAW data signals for each. Trust me I know.
    Thanks for the correction!
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by starmanric View Post
    The fs700 was discontinued only a couple years ago so I'm sure that there are many out in the wild. I'm also sure that bmd wants to sell as many VA as possible mostly to spread the use of braw but if not there is always atomos.

I have mine with an 18-200mm power zoom f/3.5-6.3 PZ OSS and a smallhd sidefinder. This makes the camera a double duty workhorse both for run and gun and for narrative or docs. Though I use an Ursa for more cinema content. I just sold my af100 great camera.

Cheers
    Starmanric
    Yes there are many out there but how many of the people who own them and are interested in the RAW output already own an Atomos or Odyssey for them? How many would be interested in investing in a new recorder for the old camera?

Not trying to be a naysayer, just trying to give perspective on a manufacturer’s decision process.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    You could be right but the new BMD_VA offers 2500 nit (1500 more than atomos) it offers Braw. Plus sd and SSD recording all at starting at 1/2 de price of a full shogun inferno. Not to mention the 5 inch size.

Those of us that purchased the fs700 not only wanted 4kraw but also the capabilities and form factor. I've rented the shogun but I never liked the size. With the small size version I cab go solo. The FS700 while discontinued still offers a lot and with the new VA even more. I'm sure that many will take up the offer. The ev1 while outstanding as is, will be even more with the BMD_VA. All in all imop its mostly the braw capability that will make this a big seller. Panasonic should make more sdi-raw cameras. There are not many sdi-raw cameras I counted about 7 so its to BMDs interest to serve all of them. They are all great cameras.

Cheers

StarmanRic
    Last edited by starmanric; 09-26-2019 at 05:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast