Thread: 18-105 F4 focus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Congrats! The Sony 18-105mm is a flawed but at the same time highly useful lens. Name another parfocal, servo zoom for under $700. I use mine now and again just because it is so small and lightweight. It is nice to be able to perform zooms, especially "snap zooms" and not have to re-focus during the move. I own the Sony 18-110mm but often end up using the 18-105mm instead because it is smaller and lighter weight than the 18-110mm.

Regarding minimum focus distance or "minimum object distance" ( MOD ), it varies with focal length. The MOD will be more when you are not on the wide end of the lens. Manufactures, wanting to cite the best MOD figure, typically site the MOD for the wide end of a zoom since that is the best figure.

Sony's website lists the figures for the 18-105mm as follows:

MINIMUM FOCUS DISTANCE
    1.48 (Wide)-3.12 ft (Tele) (0.45 (Wide)-0.95 m (Tele)

I don't know why some of those figures are negative figures or understand exactly what they mean, but it evidences that the minimum focus distance varies with focal length. I'll bet that when you tried to shoot a subject close to the lens you were zoomed in and not at full wide ( 18mm ).

For all its faults the little Sony 18-105mm is a lens that every Fs7 owner should own. It's dirt cheap, comparatively. A "throw-away" lens. A lens you slap on the camera if you have to shoot in the rain and you don't want to expose one of your more expensive lenses to the elements. Or, if the rest of your lens kit is EF the Sony 18-105mm can save you when you need a parfocal lens or need servo in order to perform a consistently paced zoom in-shot. It's a lens all the other lenses ridicule and fail to show respect and then all of a sudden it says "well watch THIS!" and it does something none of those fancy-pants lenses can do, shutting them all up. The "Rudolph" reindeer of lenses.

[ yes, I imagine my lenses having conversations among themselves. You got a problem with that? ]
    Ha ha -- I don't have a problem with lenses talking among themselves ... Yeah, I agree with you. Flawed but useful is my initial impression... Thanks for the explanation of the MOD. In fact, I was on the telephoto end when I got close to the subject today... I literally picked up the lens from BH on the way to the shoot, so I need more time on it, to learn its quirks, etc...

2. Collapse Details
    Cool. Nice BTS piece. I can see why you would use a lens like the 18-105 on a hazardous set like that Did you use if for the sit-downs?

3. Collapse Details
    Actually I feel that way about the 18-200 not the 18-105.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    Actually I feel that way about the 18-200 not the 18-105.
    I have a strange desire to add a 18-200 PZ to my kit, which is somewhat staunched by the decision to move towards all-FF over the next two years.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    The "Rudolph" reindeer of lenses.

[ yes, I imagine my lenses having conversations among themselves. You got a problem with that? ]

My 18-105 agrees completely.

And the distortion in 4K is easy corrected with Davinci.

I start to like her more and more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12