Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    It is impressive for what it is.

But what about sound? Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not seeing any XLR sockets. If that's true, I wonder what possessed BMD to skip the mic preaps, phantom power options, and balanced XLR cables required to use real microphones (not to mention decent meters and limiters). You'd think that BMD would understand the need for XLR cables, especially for a box like this designed to be used in electrically questionable (i.e. noisy) places like houses and apartments.

So to use this new device I'd have to either buy some amateur mics for use just with this box, or some kind of audio mixer that can output unbalanced mic-level audio for 3.5mm plugs, like a MixPre-D can (with a custom cable). The newer SD boxes aren't designed to feed an unbalanced signal to a camera IIRC, because they are designed to do the sound recording themselves, which wouldn't be helpful during live streaming.

Hopefully this is just me being blind (again). And if that's true, hopefully some kind soul will point out my folly and correct my mistakes. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

Otherwise, it's a good thing MixPre-Ds are cheap and easy to find on the used markets.
    Um it is a $295 switcher that rivals what I used to do on a $20,000 switcher. Just how much do you want for $295? You need to look at the target market for this which is schools, gamers, webinars and YouTube presenters. XLR could have added to the cost and the majority of users may have had no need for it. There is nothing wrong with 3.5mm inputs and the majority of users may never actually use it and only use it for the four HDMI camera inputs. While it would be nice to have XLR it isn't a big deal to add in a adapter or cheap mixer in-between XLR and the 3.5mm port. There are more expensive BMD switchers if you need more professional features like XLR.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    It is impressive for what it is.

But what about sound? Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not seeing any XLR sockets. If that's true, I wonder what possessed BMD to skip the mic preaps, phantom power options, and balanced XLR cables required to use real microphones (not to mention decent meters and limiters).
    I have to agree with that. Even the you tubers use XLR mics and interface boxes. Anyone with multiple cameras and looking to do switching is going to be using xlr mics. At the least BMD should have included one XLR. Then you can easily plug a mixer in. I don't have any 3.5mm mics.

Otherwise the ATM mini is exactly what I need.

3. Collapse Details
    Does it have a multiview output? It appears you have to either use the HDMI Out for Program Out OR Multiview... which makes it pretty much useless for a live production where you need to feed the house image mag projectors AND have a multiview for the TD.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

4. Collapse Details
    Clearly designed to compete with the Roland switcher. Interesting how they added many features and left others out.

https://proav.roland.com/global/products/v-1hd/
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Clearly designed to compete with the Roland switcher. Interesting how they added many features and left others out.

https://proav.roland.com/global/products/v-1hd/
    But at 1/3 the price....

BMD also make switches at a similar price top the roland

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    Does it have a multiview output? It appears you have to either use the HDMI Out for Program Out OR Multiview... which makes it pretty much useless for a live production where you need to feed the house image mag projectors AND have a multiview for the TD.
    No multiview output unfortunately. The single HDMI output is like an Aux output, you can set it to Program, Preview, or to one of the HDMI input sources, but there is no built-in multiviewer.

It seems like the workflow Blackmagic was envisioning for this switcher was where you have a few locked off shots, where you more or less know what they look like (talking heads, for example). And then you feed the USB-C webcam output into a computer that can show you what the program output looks like for streaming. Then you can set the single HDMI output to Preview out (to a separate monitor), so that you can see what the shot looks like before transitioning to it.

Blackmagic does sell a standalone four input multiviewer (the MultiView 4 HD) for $185, but it only has SDI inputs so it might not be natural pairing with the HDMI inputs on the ATEM Mini. And once you start adding too much extra equipment, you're probably better off just going with the ATEM Television Studio HD ($995) which has 8 inputs (4 HDMI/4 SDI) and a built-in multiviewer.

7. Collapse Details
    I have a feeling that multiview could make its way into the USB connection, but that will kill the streaming from computer. Personally I like streaming from a dedicated encoder, even the cheap ones look pretty good these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12