Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Forget the iPhone 11 Pro as the budget game changer. This is!
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini

As one who used to do a ton of live video switching and live video streaming this is the biggest game changer I have ever seen.

Not only is the hardware itself full of great features but plug the USB into a computer and you get switcher features that rival what I used to do on $20,000+ switchers. All for $295 which any YouTube personality could afford. Even has a full audio editing setup in software and a media store and PSD graphics support that just blows me away.

Pick up a few super cheap HD cameras with clean HDMI output and one has a fully featured production setup.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Pretty cool if it’s reliable. I have a 4 channel card in a PC with OBS to do this (+ 2 more inputs via USB HDMI capture devices).
    For location work this could be excellent.

3. Collapse Details
    I'll buy two for a couple clients the moment they're available.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I've been using the ATEM switchers with the software interface for years (I have an X-keys USB keypad programmed to perform switcher and other functions). Great and versatile tool. I thought the new HDMI switcher looked cute but once I saw it interfaced with the software aspect, was even more impressed.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

5. Collapse Details
    Looks very interesting. One nice thing it shows in the standards matrix is taking 1080i and sending a 1080p output. A bunch of old GH2 cameras are cheap.

The only real issue is cable length due to HDMI. I wonder if they will make an SDI version for a couple hundred more.

If we have money left at the end of our financial year, I'll pick one of these up.

6. Collapse Details
    Yes, very nice looking product. Blackmagic is proving to be a solid company for the lower budget but quality conscious shooters! There has to be some work out there to had setting up one of these with affordable cameras like Greg mentioned.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Looks very interesting. One nice thing it shows in the standards matrix is taking 1080i and sending a 1080p output. A bunch of old GH2 cameras are cheap.

The only real issue is cable length due to HDMI. I wonder if they will make an SDI version for a couple hundred more.

If we have money left at the end of our financial year, I'll pick one of these up.
    You can get 50' HDMI cables that are almost spec compliant. I think 45' is the max but some 50' cables have been tested to work fine up to at least 100' with 1080p sources.

Then there is HDMI over CAT6 solutions which do add a lot of cost to the setup but if you really need longer than 50' that's probably the best way to go. A lot of long run home installations will use CAT6 to send HDMI signals through walls. 50' to the left of the switcher and 50' to the right of the switcher is still a pretty good spread of coverage for a Multicam shoot however. May not cover every scenario but then again this is aimed at budget users who are typically shooting in a small room or at most they kitchen for a online cooking show. Sports coverage could get a bit tricky for schools to cover an entire football field and in those cases I would suggest a CAT6 solution.

As nice as a SDI version would be it suddenly puts it out of reach for a lot of people since SDI cameras cost a lot more. I'm sure it would still provide HDMI but the SDI wouldn't help pa lot of people unless they already had some SDI capable HD cameras or invested in a bunch of HDMI to SDI adapters.

The SDI adapters are another solution that may cost less than the CAT6 solution. BMD has micro converters for $55.00 although they require a power supply. Each camera will require one plus a $59.00 SDI to HDMI adapter adding a $120 cost per camera but that may be one solution for using SDI with this for longer cable runs.

8. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    The SDI adapters are another solution that may cost less than the CAT6 solution. BMD has micro converters for $55.00 although they require a power supply. Each camera will require one plus a $59.00 SDI to HDMI adapter adding a $120 cost per camera but that may be one solution for using SDI with this for longer cable runs.
    I've had to spec a bunch of converters this year so the numbers are close at hand! The street price on the BMD micro converters are $45 without power supply and $59 with, for the SDI to HDMI version, and $39 and $55 respectively for the HDMI to SDI version. There is a copycat version on Amazon for $39 with power supply that has the same feature set, and a series of even cheaper versions of both directions (without the loop out) for around $29. I've had good results with all.

One thing to be aware of with SDI to HDMI conversion is that in 24p mode, many legit cameras (Sony, Panasonic) output 23.98psf rather than 23.98p and none of the ATEM switchers accept this as a format especially this one, since psf is not part of the HDMI spec. The BMD Micro will not make the conversion to 23.98p. The least expensive box that does is the Decimator MD-LX, which is a bi-directional converter for $99 with power supply.

Finally: at the switcher end, a cleaner way to power everything would be to get the versions without power supply and use a USB power hub and run USB-A to micro power cables to each converter (or USB-A to 5.5mm plug for the cheaper versions), rather than a separate wall wart for each. It's a humble savings but it's less bulky and hey, you might have some ports left over where you can charge your phone or other devices.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini

As one who used to do a ton of live video switching and live video streaming this is the biggest game changer I have ever seen.
    It is impressive for what it is.

But what about sound? Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not seeing any XLR sockets. If that's true, I wonder what possessed BMD to skip the mic preaps, phantom power options, and balanced XLR cables required to use real microphones (not to mention decent meters and limiters). You'd think that BMD would understand the need for XLR cables, especially for a box like this designed to be used in electrically questionable (i.e. noisy) places like houses and apartments.

So to use this new device I'd have to either buy some amateur mics for use just with this box, or some kind of audio mixer that can output unbalanced mic-level audio for 3.5mm plugs, like a MixPre-D can (with a custom cable). The newer SD boxes aren't designed to feed an unbalanced signal to a camera IIRC, because they are designed to do the sound recording themselves, which wouldn't be helpful during live streaming.

Hopefully this is just me being blind (again). And if that's true, hopefully some kind soul will point out my folly and correct my mistakes. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

Otherwise, it's a good thing MixPre-Ds are cheap and easy to find on the used markets.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    The GH2 (specifically) has problems driving long cables, I'e had issues at 30 feet when other devices easily power through the same cable.

Be careful of some of the cheap converters, I have a few cheapo's and the audio doesn't work very well. But good for driving monitors that don't need audio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast