Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    RE above, Forgetting 1-3 ton owner ops, aputure LEDs appeal to me for smaller size, lower weight, lower upfront cost, lower power draw, lower heat, and ability to accessorize. I can fit all I need with all other gear in a compact SUV.
    I couldn't find the weight of the 300d ii. Compared with a joker 800, dimensions are very similar and I think weight would be really close too.

Re ability to accessorize the joker, you have a PAR, PARNEL (zoom attachment), joleko, softboxes, kurve, softube, china/jem ball, big eye.

Heat is hardly an issue with smaller HMIs but vs. tungsten there's no denying the benefits, particularly when working with people not used to being around film equipment.

The real appeal of the aputure 300d ii and I'm assuming 600d is the low cost. Since the 300d ii, I think they finally deserve to be taken seriously and any of their products should at least be considered. I would take 6x aputure 300d iis over a single joker2 800 kit, but I wouldn't (and didn't) buy the original 300d nor would I want to use it. It's not only the cost of the light but the low cost of some dirt cheap soft boxes that don't need to be fire retardant. The joker kurve looks awesome but even Gaffers with lighting packages are reluctant to buy these because of price. Have you seen a BRIESE light? Look up the price!

Onto the 600d, one of the comments on newshooter mentions the higher power draw approaching HMI power draws, which would negate that aspect of LEDs being beneficial. I wonder if there is a point where it must not be more efficient at all and would be a 1:1 power draw and may even get less efficient after that? The mole 20K LED isn't exactly small and there's some serious heat dissipation at work too.

The 600d looks awesome though, I'm glad it's not a giant Fresnel attempt that looks like crap. It looks like the trend is giving us a powerful source that we can do whatever is needed rather than being locked into a certain style. Even if it's just used to fill a 5 foot softbox every single time it may be worth it. 600d, 300d ii, 120d ii would be an amazing interview lighting kit.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by traviswears View Post
    Those 1X1 Geminis are amazing! I think I like them even more than my 2X1s!
    Yes. I picked up my two on your GB and Iím really liking them, a lot. And now that the battery plates finally came in a few weeks ago, they have supplanted my Astras(at least one set).

3. Collapse Details
    I'm so glad Aputure has finally announced a gender fluid light. I mean it's been such a long time coming. Thank god for Generation X.

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 07.34.30.jpg
    Last edited by yoclay; 09-15-2019 at 10:43 PM.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post

Onto the 600d, one of the comments on newshooter mentions the higher power draw approaching HMI power draws, which would negate that aspect of LEDs being beneficial.
    I think it is accepted that the power draw vs light output isn't much better for an LED vs HMI. They also put out about the same amount of heat I assume, it is just that an LED has either a fan or larger cooling area so that it doesn't fry the diode. So they choice of HMI vs LED is mostly about the benefits of the technology. from my experience, LED's have variable color (sometimes), better dimming, and multiple point sources which make them better for panels and mixed lighting. HMI is closer to a point source which makes it better for fresnels, spots, and anything where you want a bright, hard source. The fixtures all appear to be about the same size, although HMI's have the option of being used as a bug light.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy_Dem View Post
    I see they have a "Nova 300c" listed on there as well. I wonder if that is a new product if that's now the official name of their RGB panel that is supposed to be released before the end of the year.
    IBC 2019: Aputure NOVA 300C RGB Panel
    https://youtu.be/_A7BPOEcF7c

6. Collapse Details
    Looking good. They should do some massive bundle with 2x nova 300c, 2x 300d ii, 2x 120d ii.

It's a good time to be in the battery business.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    IBC 2019: Aputure NOVA 300C RGB Panel
    https://youtu.be/_A7BPOEcF7c
    interesting. I might be interested if the price is right. That's if the "300 Watts" isn't actually just the equivalent of a "300W tungsten fresnel tungsten gelled with a full CTB, flooded, and sent through a softbox."

8. Collapse Details
    DoPchoice will be offering it’s usual set of wares for the Nova 300c.

https://www.dopchoice.com/hersteller/aputure/
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 09-18-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234