Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    IBC 2019 : Aputure 300X Bi-Color Light
    Cool

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    This looks killer.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelWorksMedia View Post
    This looks killer.
    Until they come out with the RGB version that will make the 300X owners regret their purchase, who had regretted their 300D Mark II purchase when the 300X came out, who before that regretted their 300D purchase when the Mark II came out. All in the course of say a three year period.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Until they come out with the RGB version that will make the 300X owners regret their purchase, who had regretted their 300D Mark II purchase when the 300X came out, who before that regretted their 300D purchase when the Mark II came out. All in the course of say a three year period.

...that times every piece of tech that exists. Can't be too concerned with product cycles in this business...or you'll go nuts. Just the fact that any of this exists would have blown our minds back in the 90s.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelWorksMedia View Post
    ...that times every piece of tech that exists. Can't be too concerned with product cycles in this business...or you'll go nuts. Just the fact that any of this exists would have blown our minds back in the 90s.
    Product cycles are normal, yes, but I'm pointing out that the product cycles for the Aputure 300 series is much quicker than most other technology, like 6-12 months before each new model is released, which makes it a more difficult investment than say a Skypanel which has been out for years and is still not outdated, or say a Litepanel Astra which got updated once every three or so years and not every 6-12 months.

And also pointing out that the Aputure 300X is close to having all of the base features that many LED lights currently have (one reason the Skypanel has stayed current, because it started out fully featured), but lacking RGB, it just seems a matter of time before that's implemented, so people should be wary about buying this light with that in mind. So yeah, it's a cool product for the price point, but a still feature lacking and risky investment at their current product refresh rate.

Arri got some respect for when they announced the Alexa Mini LF, they warned customers that they have a 4K Super35 Alexa in development for next year, because they wanted the trust of their customers rather than to sell cameras now that customers would later wish they had waited for the new one to come out. I wouldn't be too surprised if Aputure has taken the opposite approach, and has the capability now to do RGB, but figured, "Why release it now when we can trickle in updates, release a bi-color one, sell a bunch of those, then later release and sell the RGB one, and hope that customers will just keep their older units and have even more of our lights in use and sold."

I'd assume Aputure knew they were working or going to be working on a bi-color 300X when they released the 300D earlier this year, but as far as I'm aware they chose not to let customers know that a bi-color version would likely be released shortly after the 300D Mark II.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 09-13-2019 at 02:28 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Product cycles are normal, yes, but I'm pointing out that the product cycles for the Aputure 300 series is much quicker than most other technology, like 6-12 months before each new model is released, which makes it a more difficult investment than say a Skypanel which has been out for years and is still not outdated, or say a Litepanel Astra which got updated once every three or so years and not every 6-12 months.

And also pointing out that the Aputure 300X is close to having all of the base features that many LED lights currently have (one reason the Skypanel has stayed current, because it started out fully featured), but lacking RGB, it just seems a matter of time before that's implemented, so people should be wary about buying this light with that in mind. So yeah, it's a cool product for the price point, but a still feature lacking and risky investment at their current product refresh rate.

Arri got some respect for when they announced the Alexa Mini LF, they warned customers that they have a 4K Super35 Alexa in development for next year, because they wanted the trust of their customers rather than to sell cameras now that customers would later wish they had waited for the new one to come out. I wouldn't be too surprised if Aputure has taken the opposite approach, and has the capability now to do RGB, but figured, "Why release it now when we can trickle in updates, release a bi-color one, sell a bunch of those, then later release and sell the RGB one, and hope that customers will just keep their older units and have even more of our lights in use and sold."

I'd assume Aputure knew they were working or going to be working on a bi-color 300X when they released the 300D earlier this year, but as far as I'm aware they chose not to let customers know that a bi-color version would likely be released shortly after the 300D Mark II.
    You are most likely correct on all of that. Still a very cool product. Iím sure they know their ace card is the RGB version and are holding out. Then when they finally released that a year later you will see the same exact product except with boosted output. And then a year after that youíll see a slightly more boost it out put except with the ballast built-in....and the beat goes on.

Good on them though for making some cool products.

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah I felt kind of burnt buying the 300D only to have the 300D mk2 come out so soon with a much more streamlined cable management system. That alone made me want to upgrade. Then to see this come out shortly after that, I think I'll wait till the RGB version.

On top of that I've never been a huge fan of bi color as I'd rather have a fully focused daylight version that is often brighter and a piece of CTO. Still for those that like bi-color still will be a nice light worth the price.
    Florida Based Photographer & Cinematographer
    http://www.austinburke.photography/

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelFilmGeek View Post
    On top of that I've never been a huge fan of bi color as I'd rather have a fully focused daylight version that is often brighter and a piece of CTO. Still for those that like bi-color still will be a nice light worth the price.
    Depends on how bi-color is done. Many LED lights (such as the Astras), the bi-color version is about 90% as bright as the daylight version, so you're not really gaining much by daylight only and then you're loosing a considerable amount of brightness once you add gels. Or take RGB lights like the Skypanel that are certainly no slouch in terms of brightness despite being RGB and bi-color.

I watched the video for the 300X and he spoke some technical terms to praise how the bi-color is done, but it mostly seemed in relation to shadows and such, and not efficiency, so yeah, I'd want to know if it's as or almost as bright as the daylight only version at 5600k and 3200k or if it's one of those lame 50% as bright type of bi-color lights.

9. Collapse Details
    Depends on how bi-color is done. Many LED lights (such as the Astras), the bi-color version is about 90% as bright as the daylight version, so you're not really gaining much by daylight only and then you're loosing a considerable amount of brightness once you add gels. Or take RGB lights like the Skypanel that are certainly no slouch in terms of brightness despite being RGB and bi-color.

I watched the video for the 300X and he spoke some technical terms to praise how the bi-color is done, but it mostly seemed in relation to shadows and such, and not efficiency, so yeah, I'd want to know if it's as or almost as bright as the daylight only version at 5600k and 3200k or if it's one of those lame 50% as bright type of bi-color lights.
    He answered those questions in the same video: About the brightness of the 300D Mk1 in the 4400 to 5500 range, and closer to the 120D mk2 at the extremes of the bicolor range (2700 and 6500). The 300D Mk2 is supposedly 20% brighter than the Mk1.

10. Collapse Details
    Recently bought two 300d II (my first Aputure lights) & even though I’m a huge fan of bicolor LEDs, the announcement of the upcoming (estimated Q1 2020) 300x does not make me regret the purchase as I desired the maximum output in a daylight balanced COB.

Been contemplating adding a couple more 300d II(s), but with this announcement I’ll now likely wait for the 300x, & when/if Aputure releases a RGB+ version I’ll probably pickup a pair of those too. They’re different tools that fill different needs, yet share common accessories, & more importantly, a single well designed App utilizing Bluetooth Mesh to control them all. And all six lamps will cost less, take up less space in a vehicle, & be easier to carry around location, then a single ‘complete’ S60-C kit.

I own four 2x2’, & two 1x2’, flexible LEDs, & regularly rent SkyPanels, but generally prefer the versatility of single-point light sources. Also I’m based in Los Angeles where the market is so super-saturated with Arri lights that I’d never see a ROI on high-end lamps, so having a modest kit for the occasional simpler jobs makes sense for my needs. Additionally I’m in this cycle where most my jobs involve air travel, & dragging along Arris is impractical, but a suitcase full of Flex Panels, &/or a couple of 300d (in their superb soft cases), is often just what’s needed for some of the documentary work I often do for NGOs. But most often Production’s renting a truck, or two, full of gear, & the crew to manage it, while my humble kit sits unused in a temperature controlled storage unit.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 09-16-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast