Page 88 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889909192 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry G View Post
    Liam -- earlier you said you'd probably be getting an FX9 to add to the C500II..is that still the plan?
    It's still an option but is less likely now. I have a couple of clients who were keen I stayed with Sony. I have now schooled those clients. Also, I was concerned about the ergonomics of the C500MKII and thought for some jobs I might be better on the FX9, but I've tweaked my shooting technique, my muscle memory has improved and now having battle-tested it on challenging shoots around Central America I'm really enjoying shooting with it. I take it to Africa on Saturday and I know it will be a joy to use.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    These are some of the reasons i have it listed higher on an on-going cinema camera list:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-Cinema-Camera

However, not all jobs are the same. Based on my experiences in broadcast and eng, i really like what the Fx9 offers in day to day efficiency and price. And for the price difference, i could afford a mirrorless on a light weight gimbal for those b-roll money shots. Which would increase speed, vs reconfiguring a C500ii from tripod/shoulder to gimbal and back. That said, i have seen the Fx9 on a gimbal. Considering how short e-mount zooms can be, and that the Fx9 is about the same length as the Fs7, this should be doable.

These are two nice cameras with a lot of overlap, but ultimately following difference design logic.

If i used the camera seldom, or rented on for the first time, i feel like the C500ii is more simple and intuitive. But the Fx9 has all the controls on the operator side. The C500ii has manual audio control on the dumb side, and would require the add-on to get audio back onto the operator side.

Clearly, there is a winner, and the answer is always “you are right”
    Good post James. What are the effeciencies you see with the FX9 over the Canon?

3. Collapse Details
    'Fairly Priced'

Im struggling to see the FX9 as winning that! I think it will last 4 years and the canon 6 (spec wise), so $/pa is the same.

Add some FX9 modules and the $/pa is higher.

Over the life of the FS7 log has gone from weird to standard, the same may happen with raw over the next four.

4. Collapse Details
    There is no professional power/battery system available.
    I know DC tap isn’t my fave, but the Fx9 does at least have big boy battery options. And once the module is released there is be “native” v-mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry G
    The other things you mention are all up for discussion but aren't features.
    ...ehhhh

You sure sure having manual audio controls on the operator side isn’t a feature for run n gun?

5. Collapse Details
    I know DC tap isn’t my fave, but the Fx9 does at least have big boy battery options. And once the module is released there is be “native” v-mount.
    So does the Canon. My V2 module turns up tomorrow. Not sure if I'll use it much, we'll see...

You sure sure having manual audio controls on the operator side isn’t a feature for run n gun?
    Certainly, a weird piece of design, but actually you get used to it pretty quick. It's not difficult to reach around and turn the dial while checking the level on the screen.

6. Collapse Details

It does have a more limited feature set. It doesn't and won't ever ....Ergonomics? both cameras have their strengths as has been discussed here. ( I know the fx9 lets you put it on your shoulder without a rig...but boy..I hope you have a really strong right arm, or a really long lens if you think that setup is balanced). Latitude -- the FX9 wins by 1/2 stop in the highlights and loses by at least that much in the shadows. AF? -- both cameras have excellent systems, the FX9 has more sensitive face tracking at distance/smaller size, the Canon wins in user control and selectability, and possibly in AI subject recognition. Sure you can adapt lenses for the FX9 (although isn't there some issue as to them working with the new AF?), but Canon has actual mounts for the lenses that most people use..I've never really heard of anyone wanting to mount a Sony lens on a canon...although I'm sure somebody would like to. blah...blah...blah... See this is where it gets boring...this endless comparison that's only there to prove "my" camera is better.

As I said...both cameras make sense given the buyer's needs, wants and history. There's no need to prove one is better. Both are great. The FX9 may very well be your cup of tea. The C500II is mine. Lets just enjoy our tea, right?
    “You are right”
    Last edited by James0b57; 02-20-2020 at 12:51 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    'Fairly Priced'

Im struggling to see the FX9 as winning that! I think it will last 4 years and the canon 6 (spec wise), so $/pa is the same.

Add some FX9 modules and the $/pa is higher.

Over the life of the FS7 log has gone from weird to standard, the same may happen with raw over the next four.
    Hopefully, it is a nice option to have. And it should be standard on anything with a “cine” badge. At least under the current realities.

8. Collapse Details
    ...ehhhh

Ha...ok.. you win that one. :-). I guess there's a reason that body is so much longer than the Canon. :-) I'm not sure that preferred placement of a feature is actually a feature... more a benefit..but "you're right". The canon placement isn't ideal. I'll only be running and gunning with the extension unit...and I wasn't even going to mention the option for 4 xlr inputs with that battery extension (and smart side added controls)...but now I have to... if they ever deliver the GD thing..

9. Collapse Details
    Man, what are you going on about? I like the C500ii. Yes. Tea. Or vino on the coast.
    Wasn't talking about you...but about the issue we were discussing...that being the endless "A is better, B is better". Although I have to say I prefer Grenache to Pinot (most days).

10. Collapse Details
    Wasn't talking about you...but about the issue we were discussing...that being the endless "A is better, B is better". Although I have to say I prefer Grenache to Pinot (most days).
    You’re right.

Page 88 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889909192 ... LastLast