Page 77 of 95 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 944
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,082
    Default
    No idea what these tests are about but I can say for a fact the RAW on the C500MkII looks noticeably better than the compressed. Will I use it on a paid gig? Rarely.


    I'll also add, while I think the FX9 probably has better AF, having used the C500MKII on 25 interviews so far, the Face-detect AF has been fantastic. I haven't shot any zip-wires though.
    Last edited by Liam Hall; 02-14-2020 at 01:54 AM.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,453
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    It seems that there are two things.. either
    a) Raw doesnt work - aka is not what it is cracked up to be.
    or
    b) reviewers dont know how to use it.
    or c) wide dr profiles have made it easier for shooters to maximize dr from the sensor, meaning log and raw are no longer the only way to get those last two stops.

    when Canon released the C300, all the talk was “the right bits in the bucket”. This is just a continuation of that. The fact that Canon has both is fantastic. But Sony has finally joined the party, and given profile which gives incredible dynamic range, without the need for raw or log workflows, but just straight from camera.


    Sony previously have hypergammas, but setting them up was a bit of a learning curve (hehe).

    And even after setting them up, there was always the fear of having done it wrong, and oh my, will i get cancer or develop spiderman powers if i work with hypergammas? will there be pink super whites when displayed on the television?


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    895
    Default
    "Sony previously have hypergammas, but setting them up was a bit of a learning curve "

    What issues did you have setting up hypergammas?


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,453
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    "Sony previously have hypergammas, but setting them up was a bit of a learning curve "

    What issues did you have setting up hypergammas?
    The first time i set them up, i had to figure out what they were. Then i had to dial in a few other settings to make it look like what i wanted to get straight from camera.

    With a picture profile, it is more striaght forward: standard -click-, neutral -click-, cinetone -click-

    But once you get hypergamma and set up and save a profile, it is not difficult. But when you go to a new camera, you have to go through and make sure all the custom settings are the same. Or transfer the scene file from an SD card.

    Ymmv.
    Last edited by James0b57; 02-14-2020 at 01:00 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    895
    Default
    Doesn't sound like a terribly steep learning curve for a video camera to me. In fact I'd take that over mastering an A7's menu structure any day.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,453
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    Doesn't sound like a terribly steep learning curve for a video camera to me. In fact I'd take that over mastering an A7's menu structure any day.
    It’s like cars Lenny. If someone mentions how their Tesla doesn’t require motor oil change, i’m not going to go say how easy changing oil is. I’ll just say, wow, that is nice. Cars, Lenny. It’s about cars.


    Sorry, the above was a running joke for Paul F to read.

    On more serious note, Lenny you are absolutely correct. Cameras paint menus and gamma and all the knees and gamuts and all of that is really fun to dive into. But i do realize that even when i talk to other professional shooters, that they don’t always know what those settings mean. Many do. But many don’t and don’t want to learn. As for me, it can be nice jumping onto an Arri, Red, Sony, or Canon, and actually like the default image settings. There really isn’t some big secret to making an image look good straight from camera. It has puzzled me why, for so many years, manufacturers just lop off the highlights and clip ugly for their default settings. So, while wide dr will never replace personal preferences, it at least takes away the annoyance of traditional standard video profiles, and allows pro and even beginners to benefit from that.
    Last edited by James0b57; 02-14-2020 at 02:24 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    905
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Itís like cars Lenny. If someone mentions how their Tesla doesnít require motor oil change, iím not going to go say how easy changing oil is. Iíll just say, wow, that is nice. Cars, Lenny. Itís about cars.


    Sorry, the above was a running joke for Paul F to read.
    We cant keep changing oil on cars tho, since oil is a finite resource and we gotta learn how to do without. An average car in Norway uses 100 litres of oil just in oil change during its lifetime. We will run out so might as well change tech now rather than later.

    Been driving electrics for 9 years, its a superior technology for sure once the range issues have been sorted. Norwegian arctic winter? Frickin awesome with electric momentum and absolute control of the tires with anti-spin on the electric engine. Our EV is surpassing fossile fuel cars in hills easily. Theyre spinning due to variable momentum and gearing. Our anti-spin just bosses it up the hills with stud-free tires.

    Now lets talk cameras ;)


    1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    895
    Default
    I do understand your point James. Particularly if you are handed a camera you don't know then hypegammas could look like a pretty oblique and arbitrary system . In fact they are an oddly screwy system. From my perspective as a a guy who has owned Sony cameras since the EX-1 introduced Cine Gammas ( very similar) and who's a bit of a geek though, the challenge of learning my camera's color system has been a point of pride. So i've been using my own matrix settings since then which always have gotten around the notorious "Sony look" and I actually didn't like Canon color because i didn't know how to manipulate it. I've also always read everything Alister Chapman has written about each new camera and I certainly was mystified by hyper gammas until I read that .

    Actually I confess to being a little annoyed that s-cinetone works so well right out fo the box . Won't us geeks have bragging rights anymore?
    I can console myself though as I've been working out how to match FS7's and FX9's and that does take a little bit of brain work.

    Lenny Levy


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,453
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    I do understand your point James. Particularly if you are handed a camera you don't know then hypegammas could look like a pretty oblique and arbitrary system . In fact they are an oddly screwy system. From my perspective as a a guy who has owned Sony cameras since the EX-1 introduced Cine Gammas ( very similar) and who's a bit of a geek though, the challenge of learning my camera's color system has been a point of pride. So i've been using my own matrix settings since then which always have gotten around the notorious "Sony look" and I actually didn't like Canon color because i didn't know how to manipulate it. I've also always read everything Alister Chapman has written about each new camera and I certainly was mystified by hyper gammas until I read that .

    Actually I confess to being a little annoyed that s-cinetone works so well right out fo the box . Won't us geeks have bragging rights anymore?
    I can console myself though as I've been working out how to match FS7's and FX9's and that does take a little bit of brain work.

    Lenny Levy
    Haha! Totally agree. Sometimes, i miss the days when it was expected that a camera looked bad straight out of box.

    Your ability to match the Fs7 amd Fx9 will be so valuable. Would be interesting to see the two cameras with matching profiles.
    Last edited by James0b57; 02-15-2020 at 04:31 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. The post by Doug Jensen is hidden due to low votes. Click the arrow to the right to expand it.


Page 77 of 95 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •