Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    This one is a loaner from Canon Europe for a shoot I’m doing in Palestine. I’ve ordered one, but they start shipping early December.

First impressions are very good. The image is stellar and I haven’t even tried RAW yet.

Only gripe so far is the battery draw - 45wh is what I’m getting, which is a significant increase over my FS7. For those people thinking of buying CoreSWX batteries and using the D-tap for accessories they will be eating batteries through the course of a day long shoot. I can see most people using the V2 or a V-lock plate.

I’ll do a longer right-up when I’m back from Israel.
    Thanks! 45w is still half of what my Arri draws, so that’s not too bad. Look forward to hearing more.

2. Collapse Details
    I believe the FX9 is 36wh so the Canon is not that much more...
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 50/1.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    I believe the FX9 is 36wh so the Canon is not that much more...
    That is correct. Here are the exact numbers from the operation manual. I'm not sure if they have been published elsewhere so here they are . . .

Power consumption:

Approx. 35.2 W (body, lens, XAVC-I
    QFHD 59.94P recording,
    viewfinder on, no external device
    connected)

Approx. 36.8 W (body, lens, XAVC-I
    QFHD 59.94P recording,
    viewfinder on, 3G-SDI×2, HDMI,
    external device connected)

4. Collapse Details
    https://vimeo.com/367592240

Canon C500 MKII & Sumire Lenses

BTS
    https://vimeo.com/368687923

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    That is correct. Here are the exact numbers from the operation manual. I'm not sure if they have been published elsewhere so here they are . . .

Power consumption:

Approx. 35.2 W (body, lens, XAVC-I
    QFHD 59.94P recording,
    viewfinder on, no external device
    connected)

Approx. 36.8 W (body, lens, XAVC-I
    QFHD 59.94P recording,
    viewfinder on, 3G-SDI×2, HDMI,
    external device connected)
    Using autofocus and some of the other features will add a little to those numbers. Anyone buying either the FX9 or C500 should work out what battery power think they need then add 25% IMHO.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Using autofocus and some of the other features will add a little to those numbers. Anyone buying either the FX9 or C500 should work out what battery power think they need then add 25% IMHO.
    Obviously both good camera,s.. this day and age its hard to get a bum camera picture wise .. its just down to favored design what you are used to.. what lenses you already have..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Obviously both good camera,s.. this day and age its hard to get a bum camera picture wise .. its just down to favored design what you are used to.. what lenses you already have..
    Absolutely. I have nothing against the FX9, even though I'm going back to Canon.

8. Collapse Details
    First direct comparison of the two cameras I've seen yet. FX9 review by CVP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-kYtjH3eEs

I thought this was a valuable video considering CVP has a vested interest in selling both cameras. The test comparing the FX9 against the FS7, C500ii and Venice was especially telling. The dynamic range of the FX9 was very impressive for both under and over exposing the subject. The C500ii's skin tones desaturated while the FX9 retained color.

I feel like testing AF would produce mixed results depending up on the subject. In CVP's test they had a man walking toward the camera and the FX9 picks up the face well before the C500ii.

The FX9 is going to be a big hit in the marketplace if these tests are any indication of how these cameras will perform in the wild.

9. Collapse Details
    From my testing, both cameras have their strengths. I think the FX9 will be the easier fit for a lot of people, particularly if you don't need RAW internal recording or FF60fps. If you do, and you need some of the other higher-end features, like anamorphic, or you need to fly it on gimbals/drones etc then the C500mkII will be the choice. The RAW looks amazing on the C500MkII. It's a massive jump in quality from the compressed XAVC format.

10. Collapse Details
    Does anyone factor in B-Camera options when selecting a new A-Cam? Personally I've always felt that Canon offers a lot better options for B-Cam, like the C100, 1Dx, or 5D series. When paired with a C300 or the new C500, these will be great B-Cams.

Compared with Sony, which right now really only has the old A7sII, which leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The FS5 is also a frustrating camera to use.

I've also just demo'd the Canon RF mirrorless camera, and it's an extraordinary piece of equipment. The RF lenses are lightyears ahead of Sony's lenses in terms of focusing (none of that jumpy focus-by-wire crap you get with Sony lenses.) The focus throw on RF lenses is really long and allows for precise manual focusing, so I see that as a major advantage. And overall, the Canon RF camera is just so much more user friendly than any Sony I've encountered. It is a joy to use, whereas I've always found the Sony mirrorless to be lacking on the usability front.

So right now for me, Canon still has the best lens choices on the market, and superior B-Cam options as well. With new RF lenses coming out, that sweetens the deal too. That puts the C500 in the lead, even though I'm a happy FS7II owner at the moment.

Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast