Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    OConnor Ultimate 1040 fluid head
    Exactly what Run&Gun asked for.

I have the 1030D at 30 lb capacity, which has worked well for most of my setups. This would be nice if I ever end up with a heavier lens or camera. So Iím not personally in the market for this now, but a nice option and upgrade from the 1030D. Looks to be similar size and weight too, though I didnít see specs for that.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/...owtech-system/

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    This reminds me of a period when I was consulting with the O'Connor folks 12 or so years ago (I might have been in one of their ads, I actually can't remember at this point). They were working on a new version of the 2575 at the time, which became the 2575D when it emerged, and when asked for feature suggestions I said "make it go to 11"! At the time, most productions I was working on were shooting on Panaflexes with 1000 ft mags and often with the 11-1 Primo or 12-1 Angenieux, and we always had the counterbalance maxed out. I thought if they could add just another 10% of capacity to the head, it would cover the classic shooting package with a little wiggle room, which I thought would be a major feature to inspire people and rental houses to replace their perfectly functional C series heads. They looked into it but said it would require re-tooling the molds to accommodate a bigger spring and they weren't ready to do that. Once Vitec bought them out, they had the means to be able to change things (some would say they "Vinten-ized" the new heads, merging features of their three head companies). Turning the 1030 into a 1040 is probably a good move, as long as it keeps the classic O'Connor feel.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

3. Collapse Details
    I actually just posted about this in the Industry News Section. I was shooting all day yesterday and crawled into bed at 4am, so didn’t see this post.

Yes, I know lots of people have asked for something similar for a while. I actually talked to someone from O’Connor at NAB several years ago about something between the 1030/1030DS and the much larger 2560, but still keep it available with a 100mm ball. This looks pretty nice. Yes, curious if they’re truthful and it’s not just the marketing dept saying it will feel like 2560/2575 heads(minus the capacity, obviously). Wonder where they will price it? Oh, just looked and B&H has it less than the 1030DS, by just over $300 and about $1200 more than the Vinten 100, which would be its closest competitor for capacity, size and functionality. Just hit my rep to see what they can do. They usually beat B&H on stuff like this. When the Flowtech 100’s came out last year, they beat the snot out of them price wise.

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Yes, curious if they’re truthful and it’s not just the marketing dept saying it will feel like 2560/2575 heads(minus the capacity, obviously).
    I haven't used the very newest versions of the O'Connor heads (I have a 2575C and 1030B) and have heard anecdotally that QC isn't as good as it used to be, since manufacturing went overseas. Still, the hallmark of their heads is that they all have the same legendary feel, so I would hope the new one doesn't present any compromise to that. I recently played with one of the larger Benro's which is clearly a knockoff of the Sachtler 30, and it wasn't the worst (I'll give that award to the 80's era Bogen heads) but it didn't feel nearly as nice as what I'm used to...plus once you are use to clickless drag and counterbalance, it's hard to be satisfied with less.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

5. Collapse Details
    Every Benro head I have used including the two I own have been absolutely terrible. Made the Manfrotto's seam great by comparison. I haven't tried Benro's bigger heads.

The Vinten 100 head I got used with some sticks I don't like as a package for $1400 are pretty decent. The tilt lock doesn't full lock; it adds additional resistance to tilting, but if the camera isn't balanced and the lock is engaged, it can start to tip. The price of buying used and I'd read a common problem with the used Vinten 100s, but saving $6.5K over buying new and for a head that is for my B or C-cam, definitely worth it over buying new. I also got a used OConnor 1030 with sticks I also don't like in a package for $2k, and it's okay, but I tend to prefer the Vinten actually, perhaps because the adjustments for tilt and panning tension, as well as counterbalance, are easier to manage with the Vinten than the older OConnor 1030 head, plus the used OConnor head I got, the mounting plate is a bit loose, so I wedged some gaff tape in it, which mostly solved the issue, mostly. And then the new 1030D I got is my primary head, which is a bit smoother than the Vinten, making adjustments is easier than on the older OConnor 1030, and of course the tilt lock works, so it's a great head.

While the two used heads have their minor issues, I don't feel they're serious enough to warrant me getting another new head such as the 1040 any time particularly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Just hit my rep to see what they can do. They usually beat B&H on stuff like this. When the Flowtech 100’s came out last year, they beat the snot out of them price wise.
    What do you mean by rep? At what company? I have a B&H corporate account and get quotes from them. I got my Flowtech 100 with mid-level spreader for around $2600-$2700 from B&H when it was priced at around $3300.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 09-13-2019 at 12:55 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I haven't used the very newest versions of the O'Connor heads (I have a 2575C and 1030B) and have heard anecdotally that QC isn't as good as it used to be, since manufacturing went overseas. Still, the hallmark of their heads is that they all have the same legendary feel, so I would hope the new one doesn't present any compromise to that. I recently played with one of the larger Benro's which is clearly a knockoff of the Sachtler 30, and it wasn't the worst (I'll give that award to the 80's era Bogen heads) but it didn't feel nearly as nice as what I'm used to...plus once you are use to clickless drag and counterbalance, it's hard to be satisfied with less.
    I think they’re doing all the heads down in Costa Rica at a purpose-built facility.

Yeah, that’s the big reason I don’t like Sachtler. Everything is in steps and it will “freewheel” after you change steps until the next unit of drag kicks in. I got kind of hosed several weeks ago shooting with a clients. I was at a road course shooting racing and every time I would go back and forth on my pan, it would feel slightly jerky and the beginning, like there was no resistance at the very, very beginning, then the drag kicked it. It took me a little bit to realize that the pan drag ring and gotten bumped on the seat of the golf cart changing locations and it was just ever so slightly disengaged from the drag setting and was ever so slightly freewheeling at the begging of every pan. By design, that could never happen with one of my Vintens or with an O’Connor, either. Some don’t get what a big deal it is until you use it or you need to make a drag adjustment ‘on-the-fly’ or even between moves.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    What do you mean by rep? At what company? I have a B&H corporate account and get quotes from them. I got my Flowtech 100 with mid-level spreader for around $2600-$2700 from B&H when it was priced at around $3300.

My rep(salesperson) at my dealer. Your corporate account is closer to what a dealer(like Abel or FilmTools, etc.) is going to probably sell to a good customer for vs. the prices you see for a lot of things on their site, like the flow techs when they were first introduced. Of course, some things are locked into prices by contracts, no matter what, and they’ll be the same price regardless of who you buy from. Which funny enough, is largely due to B&H.

8. Collapse Details
    In your experience, how do the 2575C and 1030B compare in terms of drag and heaviness of drag? I do consider, of course, that because the 2575 is intended for larger camera "set-ups" it will be relatively heavier. I know that, when compared to the older 1030 heads and the 515, and Ultimate DV heads, the 1030B head, and every iteration after it have heavier maximum drag, or heavier drag at all levels when compared to those heads.
    Last edited by giodashorts; 10-06-2019 at 04:22 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I can't be truly scientific in terms of comparisons between the heads and where my drag settings end up but I feel like I never go above the halfway point on either (maybe a touch more on the 1030). More than enough to go around. I find the feel of the heads are very comparable--which is to say, they basically "disappear", which is as it should be. I only notice a head when on the odd occasion I have to use a different brand and suddenly it has a learning curve, especially with compound moves such as diagonals. No thanks!
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I can't be truly scientific in terms of comparisons between the heads and where my drag settings end up but I feel like I never go above the halfway point on either (maybe a touch more on the 1030). More than enough to go around. I find the feel of the heads are very comparable--which is to say, they basically "disappear", which is as it should be. I only notice a head when on the odd occasion I have to use a different brand and suddenly it has a learning curve, especially with compound moves such as diagonals. No thanks!
    Great! Thank you for responding, I really do appreciate it. And yes, I think I understand what you mean when you say they "disappear" -- the moves you make are made as you respond to whatever it is you choose to follow; the act of beginning and ending a move isn't so deliberate but it is instead a natural response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast