Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 145
  1. Collapse Details
    #21
    Senior Member JPNola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Orleans USA
    Posts
    1,241
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    I think it will probably be offered with the new viewfinder that is being released in December as an option for the FS7. Can be seen here at 2:05

    https://vimeo.com/329001695

    Chris Young

    I'll be surprised if that is the case since that VF now retails for $4000. ( and for anyone wondering, the existing version of that VF does not work with the Fs7 because the pin configuration is different. There is also a mounting issue because that VF connects via the traditional ENG dovetail, not via a 15mm rod-mount like the Fs7 VF. Sony apparently modified both for the ENG kit being marketed for the Fs7 ).
    Big sources matter.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    840
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmosgadget View Post
    The extension unit may allow 6K X-OCN recording with the R7 back. Maybe. Either way, you'll still get 16-bit output. Plus you'll get 4K @ 120fps at 10-bit. Since I got my R7, 98% of what I shoot is X-OCN. It's a stellar format. But like Grug said, at this price point, the R7 doesn't make much sense unless they drop the price of the recorder in half.

    **Just read the point about not being able to record 6K.
    I've been on the lookout at least two years for an R7 to pop up. Still $6,980 and AXS series A memory 4.8Gb/s cards expensive too. I bought an R5 with low hours for $900 for my F55, found deals on the AXSM memory cards too but no X-OCN or 120 FPS possible but 16 bit Sony Raw is exquisite.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    257
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    I can't get excited over any T3.1 lens. That's like getting excited over the girl with thick ankles that your mom picked out for you to marry.
    That's really small minded. It's not about the T3.1 lens, it's about the fact that Sony is beginning to create lenses that not only have AF, but appropriate manual focus/iris controls. Anybody who's shot with Sony E-mount lenses knows what focus-by-wire is like. For Sony to take the initiative to start producing lenses that solve that problem while also maintaining AF abilities is huge. T3.1 zoom lenses could just be the start. Those no telling what other lenses they could make that follow this lead.

    So don't be small minded over a T3.1 zoom lens. Instead, look at the fact that Sony is learning what matters in a video/cinema camera and is taking steps to create products that camera ops like us need in order to have good experience in the field. I'd much rather have that than full frame or 6/8K, hence why big productions use 4K and even 2K cameras still, while pairing them with very high-end fully manual cine glass. It's that important which is why having a cine lens with AF is a great feature.
    Last edited by Joshua Milligan; 09-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.


    1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hay River, NT, Canada
    Posts
    106
    Default
    The R7 and media will tank in price once/if Sony can offer internal RAW. By that time you'll most likely replace your 5/55. What blows my mind is that Sony still doesn't have a replacment for the F55. The Canon still looks like a better option if you can squeeze a bit more quid out of your wallet.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    840
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmosgadget View Post
    The R7 and media will tank in price once/if Sony can offer internal RAW. By that time you'll most likely replace your 5/55. What blows my mind is that Sony still doesn't have a replacment for the F55. The Canon still looks like a better option if you can squeeze a bit more quid out of your wallet.
    Uh, no.


    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #26
    Senior Member JPNola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Orleans USA
    Posts
    1,241
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    it's about the fact that Sony is beginning to create lenses that not only have AF, but appropriate manual focus/iris controls.

    "beginning to"? The FE 85mm F1.4 GM was released in Feb 2016. That's over 3 years ago.

    But yes, it is nice to see it work its way into zooms. I was disappointed that the Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM didn't feature a manual iris ring. I still don't understand why it is that lenses with stepped electronic iris such as the EF glass cannot be converted into step-less electronic iris. It's a motor, right? What prevents it from operating in a step-less manner? There must be a reason it is not easily converted or else someone would have done it by now.
    Big sources matter.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hay River, NT, Canada
    Posts
    106
    Default
    I meant compared to the FX9. Internal RAW, even Canon's version is a huge selling point for those that want it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #28
    Senior Member JPNola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Orleans USA
    Posts
    1,241
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    Uh, no.

    Explain why you say no, Tom. Why is it you are of the opinion that the C500 MkII does not look like a better option than the Fx9?
    Big sources matter.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    840
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Explain why you say no, Tom. Why is it you are of the opinion that the C500 MkII does not look like a better option than the Fx9?
    It is no doubt a great camera. Who is it for? My F55 ecosystem is competent and complete. I have full knowledge for getting the best of it. My craft is the value, not the frame size, resolution, frame rate or auto focus.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hay River, NT, Canada
    Posts
    106
    Default
    I feel the same way Tom. The Canon isn't for me nor is the FX9. If I were in the market for either, it would be a tough call. Fortunately I will run my F55 until the wheel fall off or clients demand something more. Right now it's a bit more than what I actually need but I'm more than happy to be able to offer it.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •