Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Are you saying there are currently lenses from Panavision that are electronically controlled? If you are, what lenses would those be?
    The Primo 70s.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    ... It'll be really interesting to see how it stacks up against the C500 Mkii (which I'm finding myself really drawn to, as it basically offers everything I'm looking for at the moment).
    You figure the extension unit will take you into the Canon territory price-wise. For the non-cinematic applications, X-OCN should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    “The FX9 will also be compatible with the newly launched E-mount lens FE C 16-35mm T3.1 G, which uniquely balances full manual operability for movie shooting and auto-control functions.” This lens that's supposed to be announced tomorrow as well is almost more exciting to me than the new FX9. I am not a fan of the focus-by-wire design of Sony lenses, but I do appreciate their autofocus capabilities. If they start coming out with cine versions of their GM line that still retain autofocus and metadata, that's huge.
    I've been "suggesting" the same thing on the Canon forums, since Canon had the sole AF system on its cinema cameras up until now.

Canon does have two T4.4 rocker zooms but 3.1 should be in a different class.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm curious as to operational characteristics of the Fx9. Will the tally-light remain on screen when you disable the rest of the display? Will you be able to apply a VF LUT when recording in S&Q? Will the VF cable detach from the VF, as it does on the C500 MkII? Will the loupe be an improvement over the Fs7 loupe? Will it come standard with a cheese-plate on the top of the camera, something long overdue on as a standard feature on a camera?
    Couldn't agree more! There was a lot of room for improvement over the FS7 beyond the spec wars, so I hope they addressed those issues as well.

Personally, I don't know a single owner/operator that wanted a full frame or 6K sensor.

4. Collapse Details
    If they knew the benefits, they would all want one.

As repeatedly mentioned, a full-frame 6K sensor does not need to shoot full-frame or 6K (as appears to be the case for this camera).

Even the ARRI Alexa at a time when dinosaurs were roaming the earth in 2010 super-sampled its image from a higher-resolution chip.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    You figure the extension unit will take you into the Canon territory price-wise. For the non-cinematic applications, X-OCN should suffice.
    If the extension unit lets you pop cards into it to record the raw signal, great. If it's another case of having to send out a raw signal to an Odyssey 7Q or Atomos recorder... that erases most of the appeal for me. It's 2019, external recording is just an added level of stress that I don't want in my life anymore.

That said, how many FS7/FX9 level shoots EVER have the budget to record raw anyway? So maybe that's all a moot point either way.

Accessory power distribution is my only concern with the C500 MkII, other than that, it offers just about everything that I'd like a camera to have.

Very interested to see how the Sony stacks up.

6. Collapse Details
    I want one thing more than anything in a new FX9 camera and that's the ability to use the same picture profiles in Custom mode that you have available in CINE EI mode, or better yet, give us the option to change ISOs and select a custom WB in CINE EI mode. Either way would work. While I get why they have it setup that way, I do still find it frustrating that my mirrorless cameras can have any ISO, any WB and any picture profile you want when shooting with them, but on the FS7 you can't have that freedom unless you want to shoot in Custom mode which doesn't have the same picture profile options as CINE EI. That and a higher resolution monitor are really the things I want more than anything else.

Realistically though, I don't see myself upgrading from my FS7II. It's paid for, it still makes me money, clients still love it and I've never once felt during a shoot that my camera didn't have what it needed to be up to the task. Knowing that, I think that for my business it makes more sense to stick with what I have until the day it finally isn't capable of delivering what the world demands anymore, and quite frankly I believe that time is a good ways off.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    “The FX9 will also be compatible with the newly launched E-mount lens FE C 16-35mm T3.1 G, which uniquely balances full manual operability for movie shooting and auto-control functions.” This lens that's supposed to be announced tomorrow as well is almost more exciting to me than the new FX9. I am not a fan of the focus-by-wire design of Sony lenses, but I do appreciate their autofocus capabilities. If they start coming out with cine versions of their GM line that still retain autofocus and metadata, that's huge.

I can't get excited over any T3.1 lens. That's like getting excited over the girl with thick ankles that your mom picked out for you to marry.
    Big sources matter.

8. Collapse Details
    Yea, I really dislike slow lenses (even f/2.8, T3.1). The concept sounds amazing, but if they aren't f/1.4, f/1.8, I'm personally not too excited. The E-mount stills glass is so good and so fast and can be inexpensive as well.

9. Collapse Details
    The extension unit may allow 6K X-OCN recording with the R7 back. Maybe. Either way, you'll still get 16-bit output. Plus you'll get 4K @ 120fps at 10-bit. Since I got my R7, 98% of what I shoot is X-OCN. It's a stellar format. But like Grug said, at this price point, the R7 doesn't make much sense unless they drop the price of the recorder in half.

**Just read the point about not being able to record 6K.
    Last edited by Gizmosgadget; 09-12-2019 at 10:10 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Will the VF cable detach from the VF, as it does on the C500 MkII? Will the loupe be an improvement over the Fs7 loupe?
    I think it will probably be offered with the new viewfinder that is being released in December as an option for the FS7. Can be seen here at 2:05

https://vimeo.com/329001695

Chris Young

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast