Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JCummings View Post
    I've never understood why Sony (and the other Japanese mfr's) still steadfastly refuse to do this. Are they afraid of gutting their small-sensor ENG lines, which are slowly becoming niche cameras?

Arri got it mostly right with the Amira, although it's not affordable for many of us freelancers. Plus it's a little too hefty.

Take the guts from the FX9, put them in an ENG body. Price it fairly. Boom. Sell 'em by the truckload...
    Amen, brother.

2. Collapse Details
    Doug I appreciate broadcast cameras but find them too heavy.

Also I donít do broadcast.

My need are usually satisfying a team to which good inbuilt wireless monitor consistent luts and the like would help.

But the rethink I was really referring to was the management of auto focus when ones eyes are inside a viewfinder.

With a canon one can tap the screen - but not if you canít see where your finger is because your are inside an Evf.

Ultimately we need to tell the camera where to go next and how fast - a complex gui challenge

Also the beta cam with a tape deck had a kind of shape defined - it happened to work but one can now think beyond that.

And eng cams are rubbish on gimbals

3. Collapse Details
    When I owned the F800 and PW500 with great Fujinon lens, I did not miss many shots. And for my work fast moving, and on my feet all day they were great. I loved the weight which was very close to my kitted out FS7 MK2. My PMW-500 is still to this day the best camera I have owned in 40 years. Oh well, history always repeats.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
    I’d pay Sony to give us the option of the broadcast evf on the FS7 and 9. That alone would make a difference. Stronger point of contact, much shorter eyepiece to be able to push the camera back on the shoulder, much brighter/sharper.
    I would be happy with that. No proper VF options announced so far as I know. WTH, Sony.

Guys that came up with DSLR's no nothing about good ergonomics. It's not all about weight.

I know...OK Boomer.

J.Cummings-Lighting Cameraman
    http://www.ohfilmworks.com
    IMDb

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Yeah, we know that you don't understand the beauty of the traditional ENG design even though it solves a lot of the gripes you bring up in other threads. Once again, here's just a FEW of the physical benefits of a Z450/Z750 style camera that go beyond the obvious advantages of balance, comfort, etc.

Four VU meters always visible on the side of the camera.
    External headphone volume control
    Nearly all audio controls clustered in one area.
    Timecode always visible
    Native VCT tripod mount with built-in shoulder pad
    Native v-lock batteries
    Better viewfinder and stronger viewfinder mount
    5-pin XLR connector up front for stereo shotgun -- leaving the rear XLR connectors free.
    Slot for two-channel digital audio receiver that becomes a seamless part of the camera.
    D-tap out
    Better shotgun mount
    External shutter speed switch (i change my speed all the time for S&Q)
    Record button under the lens.
    External black balance switch.
    Better menu controls
    4-pin XLR power input
    etc.

I'm sure if I could think of more things if I gave it a few more minutes.
    Modern cameras don't need a re-think, they just need to revisit what was already done right years ago. No need to reinvent the wheel. We just need a FF ENG camera (or even S35) with an e-mount and variable ND -- and that would be just about perfect.
    Looks like Panasonic has taken a small step in this direction with their new single sensor AJ-CX4000.
    https://na.panasonic.com/us/audio-vi...shoulder-mount

Years ago I was shooting with a JVC shoulder mount camera. The ENG form factor made shooting a lot easier.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegger View Post
    Looks like Panasonic has taken a small step in this direction with their new single sensor AJ-CX4000.
    Sony already has that camera beat with the PXW-Z450 and PXW-Z750.

What many of us are wanting is a S35 or FF sensor camera in an ENG camera form with all the XDCAM bells and whistles. I think Blackmagic may have something looks right, but I'm sure it doesn't have all the features of an XDCAM, so I'm not really interested.

7. Collapse Details
    What are the features of an xdcam?

Baffling menues, slow boot times, terrible playback and over compressed codecs?

I’m working with a BM “pocket” at the moment and playback is so intuitive as are all the other settings - I have hit the Sq button by a mistake though.

Playback on the fs7 is an embarrassment

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    What are the features of an xdcam?

Baffling menues, slow boot times, terrible playback and over compressed codecs?

I’m working with a BM “pocket” at the moment and playback is so intuitive as are all the other settings - I have hit the Sq button by a mistake though.

Playback on the fs7 is an embarrassment
    Not gonna take your bait, Sam. Move along.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Doug
    My sharp response was lead by your apparent dismissal of the BM without apparent logic or personal experience

I’ve shot a feature and a 45min tv pilot on BM cameras - I’m currently shooting a little project where the pocket is B cam.
    I own a Micro.

I know the strengths and weaknesses and would not want one as my primary camera - but be well aware that many aspects eat Sony for usability and quality. Particularly the ability to show a director your last shots

Particularly codecs playback and menu. That eng shape BM is better than the 7 and beaten by the 9 only because the 9 has AF.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Doug
    My sharp response was lead by your apparent dismissal of the BM without apparent logic or personal experience

I’ve shot a feature and a 45min tv pilot on BM cameras - I’m currently shooting a little project where the pocket is B cam.
    I own a Micro.

I know the strengths and weaknesses and would not want one as my primary camera - but be well aware that many aspects eat Sony for usability and quality. Particularly the ability to show a director your last shots

Particularly codecs playback and menu. That eng shape BM is better than the 7 and beaten by the 9 only because the 9 has AF.
    But how is it for battery and hand held..EVF ? wireless monitor set up . I would never have play back ability as one of the main factors that I would judge a camera by personally .. sorry another Boomer

Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast