Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Of course

I dont know how many buttons you need though. My fs7 I basically use the S+Q button and nd wheel because my shutter is 180 and my iris is on my lens and my focus is on my lens and in log I dont change the gain.

Deviating from those iris and focus positions brings up much to think about. That side-wheel electric iris is horrific for starters and I have no idea how you are supposed to adjust focus area without a tap screen (or if your eye is an evf)

THe modern era needs a big rethink - something that seems beyond CaSony, however large or small the camera.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I could use a few more buttons but I've also learned to deal with what's on FS7 and FS5 and still I hardly ever need to dig into the menu.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Of course I dont know how many buttons you need though. My fs7 I basically use the S+Q button and nd wheel because my shutter is 180 and my iris is on my lens and my focus is on my lens and in log I dont change the gain.
    Yeah, we know that you don't understand the beauty of the traditional ENG design even though it solves a lot of the gripes you bring up in other threads. Once again, here's just a FEW of the physical benefits of a Z450/Z750 style camera that go beyond the obvious advantages of balance, comfort, etc.

Four VU meters always visible on the side of the camera.
    External headphone volume control
    Nearly all audio controls clustered in one area.
    Timecode always visible
    Native VCT tripod mount with built-in shoulder pad
    Native v-lock batteries
    Better viewfinder and stronger viewfinder mount
    5-pin XLR connector up front for stereo shotgun -- leaving the rear XLR connectors free.
    Slot for two-channel digital audio receiver that becomes a seamless part of the camera.
    D-tap out
    Better shotgun mount
    External shutter speed switch (i change my speed all the time for S&Q)
    Record button under the lens.
    External black balance switch.
    Better menu controls
    4-pin XLR power input
    etc.

I'm sure if I could think of more things if I gave it a few more minutes.
    Modern cameras don't need a re-think, they just need to revisit what was already done right years ago. No need to reinvent the wheel. We just need a FF ENG camera (or even S35) with an e-mount and variable ND -- and that would be just about perfect.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 11-27-2019 at 07:36 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    It's not the just the weight, it is the total ergonomics, button placement, handheld balance, etc. that only an ENG camera design offers. And I miss being able to sling a camera over my shoulder with a Portabrace strap without having a dozen sharp edges jabbing me all over the place.
    I've never understood why Sony (and the other Japanese mfr's) still steadfastly refuse to do this. Are they afraid of gutting their small-sensor ENG lines, which are slowly becoming niche cameras?

Arri got it mostly right with the Amira, although it's not affordable for many of us freelancers. Plus it's a little too hefty.

Take the guts from the FX9, put them in an ENG body. Price it fairly. Boom. Sell 'em by the truckload...

J.Cummings-Lighting Cameraman
    http://www.ohfilmworks.com
    IMDb

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JCummings View Post
    Take the guts from the FX9, put them in an ENG body. Price it fairly. Boom. Sell 'em by the truckload...
    You have summed up the major points of my dream camera that I wrote up last year before NAB and proposed to Sony.

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with the eng body crowd. My co workers went 750 and I’m going fx9. I’m very jealous because of the ergonomic design, but I’m past the 2/3” look. The deep dof is beneficial for certain things, but I overcome that on a larger sensor by stopping down. I don’t want to have to swap a camera for a sit down interview and then get the big one for run and gun. I learned to use the large sensor cams for everything so the 750 is going backwards visually in my opinion. Oddly enough, Arri was the only one to recognize the need for both with the Amira, but hang a 17-120 + gold mount brick off of it and it’s way heavier than the newer eng cams. Why isn’t anyone doing this? Especially a Sony who has killed it in the broadcast low end market with the FS7. Just stick all of that in a shoulder mount shell and take all of my money.

7. Collapse Details
    I agree with Doug, camera ergonomics are key to making us better shooters. I have been shooting since the late 60's. I moved from the Auricon conversions all the way to todays Fs7. For me shoulder balance has always been the most important issue with all of them. The camera simply becomes part you. It moves with you seamlessly. You do not have to exert any exert effort to "hold it up." I have spent many hours and tried many different braces, etc to get the Fs7 balanced and I have mostly succeeded. However if Sony came out with a traditional ENG style Fs7 I would not hesitate to order one. Like Doug I miss a camera that sits on the ground without falling over, goes from the bag to shoulder and is rolling in one smooth move, has external audio meters, headphone volume control and a built in VCT shoulder pad.

Alan Dater
    Marlboro Productions

8. Collapse Details
    I may have posted this once before, but this is my proposed dream camera from 2018 . . . the Z550. About the only thing I'd change now would be an FF sensor. Why not?

Suggested product name: PXW-Z550

Specifications:
    • Shoulder-mount body style (similar to F450, F800, X500, etc.)
    • Super35mm 4K sensor (global preferred)
    • Locking E-mount
    • All standard XDCAM menus and capabilities (custom clip naming, duration display, Last Clip Delete, etc.)
    • Rosette for a short, sturdy, arm w/ REC trigger (must be better than FS7 arm)
    • Electronic Variable ND Filter
    • 4K UHD up to 59.94p and up to 180 fps S&Q Motion for 1080P recording
    • XAVC-I, XAVC-L, and MPEG HD422 codecs
    • S-LOG2 and S-LOG3 via a true CINE EI mode
    • Native SxS slots with XQD compatibility using an adapter
    • Simultaneous Recording to both cards
    • Fast Hybrid Auto-Focus and SteadyShot when using compatible lenses
    • MI-Shoe on handle
    • Slot for 2-channel Sony ENG wireless microphone receiver
    • 12G SDI video output
    • HDMI output
    • External headphone volume
    • VU meters on body of camera
    • (2) 3-pin XLR input at rear - AES/EBU: AES3 compliant
    • (1) 5-pin XLR for shotgun
    • XLR-type 4-pin power input
    • V-mount battery connector
    • 12v D-tap output connector
    • TC in and out (both)
    • Power consumption should be under 40W

Features that are not needed (especially if it reduces the overall cost of the camera):
    • All wireless connectivity, QoS, live streaming, and remote control
    • Ethernet connector
    • GPS
    • Pool-feed input recording
    • HLG

Three choices for EVF: 1)HDVF-EL30, 2)HDVF-EL20, or 3) FS7-style LCD with diopter.
    Suggested price: Under $15,000 for body -- plus customer’s choice of EVF (sold separately)

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Nice to think about, but I'm afraid my days of buying $30K plus camera bodies is probably a thing of past, and that's probably what we'd be looking at.
    Really, anything over $20K at this point won't have the ROI I need.

To think I could pick up a matched pair of FX9's for the price of one ENG body FF is sort of a no-brainer...
    Last edited by JCummings; 11-27-2019 at 08:32 AM.

J.Cummings-Lighting Cameraman
    http://www.ohfilmworks.com
    IMDb

10. Collapse Details
    I’d pay Sony to give us the option of the broadcast evf on the FS7 and 9. That alone would make a difference. Stronger point of contact, much shorter eyepiece to be able to push the camera back on the shoulder, much brighter/sharper.

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast