Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Sony PXW-FX9 with venice features and 6k full frame
    FX9_1.jpg

Today comes a new Sony PXW-FX9 camera with a full frame sensor and 6k recording. Other highlights include:

Dual native ISO 800/4000
    Venice colors
    Variable ND
    15 stops DR
    Over sampled 4k recording
    Fast Hybrid AF
    Internal 10-bit 4:2:2 recording
    And more

The camera has the same form as FS7 II but with improved features like four audio channels adjustment on the body.

Sadly to get raw recording one need the new XDCA-FX9. Post to be updated with images.
    Last edited by J.Brown; 09-13-2019 at 12:23 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Any word on pricing?
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    The 6K might just be oversampling for 4K (and no 6K recording)...we'll see soon though.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/its-...-frame-sensor/

4. Collapse Details
    Hopefully not that expensive if it's "only" 4K... granted I only get requests for 4K rarely anyway, but my next cam has to be future-proofed for at least 5 years.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

5. Collapse Details
    4k downsampled from 6k is great, it should be a noticeable improvement over the "straight" 4k of the FS7 (which loses detail and colour fidelity to the debayering).

It'll be really interesting to see how it stacks up against the C500 Mkii (which I'm finding myself really drawn to, as it basically offers everything I'm looking for at the moment).

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    “The FX9 will also be compatible with the newly launched E-mount lens FE C 16-35mm T3.1 G, which uniquely balances full manual operability for movie shooting and auto-control functions.” This lens that's supposed to be announced tomorrow as well is almost more exciting to me than the new FX9. I am not a fan of the focus-by-wire design of Sony lenses, but I do appreciate their autofocus capabilities. If they start coming out with cine versions of their GM line that still retain autofocus and metadata, that's huge.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    “The FX9 will also be compatible with the newly launched E-mount lens FE C 16-35mm T3.1 G, which uniquely balances full manual operability for movie shooting and auto-control functions.” This lens that's supposed to be announced tomorrow as well is almost more exciting to me than the new FX9. I am not a fan of the focus-by-wire design of Sony lenses, but I do appreciate their autofocus capabilities. If they start coming out with cine versions of their GM line that still retain autofocus and metadata, that's huge.
    Very interesting. I wonder if it's like the Panavision lenses - full, conventionally geared, manual control. But able to be flipped over into an electronically controlled mode.

That's kind of the holy grail - proper, manual cinema lenses - that can be flicked over to autofocus modes when needed (for gimbal walk and talks etc.)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    That's kind of the holy grail - proper, manual cinema lenses - that can be flicked over to autofocus modes when needed (for gimbal walk and talks etc.)
    Exactly my thoughts. Right now you have to choose between autofocusing photo lenses or fully manual cine lenses. The only real hybrid that actually works well as a hybrid is the 18-110. If they start releasing lenses built off of the 18-110's design, but that cover your typical full frame lenses (16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 24, 35, 50, 85, etc.), then that's a massive game changer. I think that's an ace in the hole compared to anyone else's offerings and would be a huge reason to continue shooting on the Sony E-mount platform.

9. Collapse Details
    I'm curious as to operational characteristics of the Fx9. Will the tally-light remain on screen when you disable the rest of the display? Will you be able to apply a VF LUT when recording in S&Q? Will the VF cable detach from the VF, as it does on the C500 MkII? Will the loupe be an improvement over the Fs7 loupe? Will it come standard with a cheese-plate on the top of the camera, something long overdue on as a standard feature on a camera?
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Very interesting. I wonder if it's like the Panavision lenses - full, conventionally geared, manual control. But able to be flipped over into an electronically controlled mode.

Are you saying there are currently lenses from Panavision that are electronically controlled? If you are, what lenses would those be?
    Big sources matter.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast