Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I did a double blind test with speaker cables years ago and spotted the difference to 100%. But it wasn`t that one was better than the other, just different. My experience is that the room which you listen in is the biggest factor. Then speaker placement, then speakers and after that the source and last the amplifier. Given all gear plays in the same league.

2. Collapse Details
    Ah - I already have a true sine wave UPS converter that I route all the AV equipment through to protect from brief power outages or what not:

https://www.costco.com/CyberPower-14...100215531.html

That do the trick?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    I did a double blind test with speaker cables years ago and spotted the difference to 100%. But it wasn`t that one was better than the other, just different. My experience is that the room which you listen in is the biggest factor. Then speaker placement, then speakers and after that the source and last the amplifier. Given all gear plays in the same league.
    How did you perform a double blind test with yourself in the loop?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    See now, my experience has always been first the cable, and everything else follows

(kidding!)

How true is that - plenty of good setups ruined by bad rooms. My new room has some asymmetry and a open back, but overall decent. I was looking at those acoustic panel companies that allow you to print custom artwork on the panels to disguise a couple sound dampeners on problem spots.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Ah - I already have a true sine wave UPS converter that I route all the AV equipment through to protect from brief power outages or what not:

https://www.costco.com/CyberPower-14...100215531.html

That do the trick?
    Maybe: https://headfonics.com/2017/11/power...eal-advantage/

6. Collapse Details
    Regarding isolation transformers / power conditioners - are these the same?
    No, they aren’t the same, though they serve partly similar action.

What exactly do they do?
    Isolation transformers, when designed well, clean unavoidable RF interference which exist on the mains (the home, or building, AC power). Power conditioners also stabilize the AC voltage. Since most power conditioners use internal switching power supply, therefore, in some cases they may introduce RF interference of their own.

And why are they a must?
    The basic components which are a must are:
    1. Source (from where the music, or sound, is coming: either TV reception, Internet stream, CD/DVD/Blu-ray player, turntable {vinyl records player} – or any combination of the above);
    2. Amplifier (or receiver);
    3. Loudspeakers (or earphones);
    4. Cables to connect the above.

Besides those basic components, nothing else is a must.

My basic (and constant) advice is to bear in mind that you are the person who’s going to enjoy more, or less, the sound coming out from the system, or setup – neither any sales person nor any audiophile, or ‘audiophile’.
    Different people have different preferences and listening habits.

Therefore, to my view (and many years experience), the best route is to start with only the basic, necessary components. Have the system, or setup, for a while – until you’ll get used to its’ sound and be familiar with it.

Then try any additional component on your own system, or setup. Best is to try it for at least a day, or few says, and see whether there may be any improvement to the sound (to your own ears) and whether that improvement will worth your money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Paul McGowan of PS Audio says it's not necessary because every amp has a transformer anyway.
    I’m familiar with the theory, yet my both my knowledge of electronics and experience are different.

I can explain, though it will be very long, too long.
    It is explained in details in various articles on my blog, in Hebrew: http://www.gomeh.com/audio_h/index.html . I have no idea if Google translate, or similar service, can do justice to those articles.

A person representing a commercial company may have an ax to grind – I have none, I sell nothing, nor do I receive any commission from anyone. I only share my experience.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    Can you hear a difference past decent audio cables?
    I can, and so are some other people I know.
    Yet, some people don’t hear any significant difference.
    Moreover, from my experience, whether a certain cable improves the sound quality, or degrades it – varies between different people. To some, it would be improvement, to others it would be a degradation.
    It also depends on the entire setup and the listening habits of any particular person.
    It also depends on whether the system is used for watching movies or listening to music – and what music one listens to most. There are marked differences between, say, rock and classical symphony.

The same goes to power conditioners and similar devices.

How to know for sure- record A/B and do a spectral analysis. Can't measure a difference = save your money.
    Some use a sound system in order to make measurements, while others use it to enjoy watching movies, or listening to music, or making a mix.

Unless the sound system is used for measurements – my advice is to go by what one ears and forget measurements. As long as one hear differences, moreover, improvement – go for it. When no improvement is being heard by the user, on ones’ own system – nothing is worth a cent.

(There are some cases when ‘audiophiles’ try to impress others. I believe this isn’t what’s being discussed here).

9. Collapse Details
    My experience is that the room which you listen in is the biggest factor. Then speaker placement, then speakers and after that the source and last the amplifier. Given all gear plays in the same league.
    Indeed. The room also includes its’ acoustics, of course. The acoustics can be manipulated and improved.
    Treating properly the room’s acoustics, including the placements of the speakers and all the other components, would be the first thing I’d invest into.

10. Collapse Details
    How did you perform a double blind test with yourself in the loop?
    How do you enjoy more, or less, listening to music with yourself in the loop? How do you choose speakers, or earphones, with yourself in the loop?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast