Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. Collapse Details
    #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    2,054
    Default
    I like Stax and Yamaha.

    What is the Socratic method?


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,769
    Default
    The thing is, while one can't duplicate the ambience of a live acoustic orchestra/symphony, one can "improve" other parameters such as volume and the direction to the listener. And, depending on the processor, one can tweak other variables, such as the frequencies, the delay, reverb, etc.

    For acoustic/classical/jazz/unprocessed vocals, speakers with a ribbon tweeter and a separately powered subwoofer would be the best bang for the buck.

    Strictly MO.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    2,054
    Default
    Any declarative statement here will be argued with, except this one.
    Why? Because tautology, thus laughter.

    With exploration outside of one’s current knowledge base, some may find it is possible to learn things about human perception with indirect means which can provide useful generalizations for a population.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    346
    Default
    Another factor is listen late in the evening. It just sounds better when the world is quieter.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    556
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    I like Stax and Yamaha.
    Subjectively, or objectively?
    Is it your personal preference, or is it useful generalizations for a population?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    What is the Socratic method?
    What is it and what it has to do with choosing audio gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    ...
    With exploration outside of one’s current knowledge base, some may find it is possible to learn things about human perception with indirect means which can provide useful generalizations for a population.
    Is it a theoretical possibility, or have you found some useful information relevant to the presently discussed topic, which is choosing audio gear for personal enjoyment of listening to music and/or movies in one’s home environment?
    If yes, can you please share your findings about ‘useful generalization for a population’ which may serve us choosing audio gear for personal enjoyment of listening to music and/or movies in one’s home environment?

    What is your point, generally speaking, in the line of argument you present here?

    What is your point concerning the presently discussed topic, which is choosing audio gear for personal enjoyment of listening to music and/or movies in one’s home environment?

    According to you and/or your findings, generally speaking, is the human perception reliable, or unreliable?

    Is one’s perception ‘good enough’ for choosing audio gear for one’s own personal enjoyment of listening to music and/or movies in one’s home environment, or is it not?

    Concerning ‘useful generalizations for a population’ - does it take into account the influence of any given room and it’s acoustics on the sound of an audio setup, or system?


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    2,054
    Default
    If one already ‘knows’ all the answers, why do they ask questions?

    https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/brain-an...nce-fall-2016/

    https://endless-satsang.com/advaita-...ty-oneness.htm


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,769
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    If one already ‘knows’ all the answers, why do they ask questions? ...
    "If you could have everything, where would you put it?" (Steven Wright)


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    2,054
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    "If you could have everything, where would you put it?" (Steven Wright)
    A reminder to purge & declutter one’s space + mind? (are they separate? re: non-duality)

    A useful tool for understanding decision making and persuasion? http://sourcesofinsight.com/convincer-strategy/

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #59
    Senior Member paulears's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lowestoft - UK
    Posts
    1,647
    Default
    I JUST CAN'T READ THIS TOPIC. For years we've stuck to technically supported, industry standard tips and fixes and suddenly we've thrown physics out of the window and started on the most important thing is cables thing?

    Just the mention that this makes differences makes me cringe. I've just tidied up my store and put things in new bins, and uncovered the pile of cables supplied with my Sony TC-377 bought in the late 70s. The phono to phono cables were quite common then pin Sony gear, and forty years on they still work, because I needed to connect a DAT machine up and knew where there was a cable.


    Cables have resistance/impedance/capacitance/screening and that's about it! Cross section/gauge and all the hifi claptrap have no place in recording/broadcast. I have never found any difference in audio quality that can be quantified. I've yet to see the BBC get excited about cables, and their recommendations always relate to screening and the physical aspects - NEVER audio quality. I just cannot believe we're promoting these crazy theories here on what was a solid technically based forum where we might complain certain brand cannot manage 3G SDI over a long length, or that some cables degrade composite video over Xm - that kind of thing. If we follow this crazy audio bent physics, we should try clever cable to get BETTER pictures. We don't because we can't.

    I know some people honestly believe this stuff, but there are very few things that I have never believed. If a cable makes things degrade, they're poor cables, but to get an improvement, you must have had poor performance to start with - and this is down to spec, and usually frequency response. Twenty metres of high impedance transmission is technically a problem with high capacitance cabling but this is application, not really the cable. I won't even go into the prices people pay for 1m of XLR to XLR. It's not a science, hifi is a mystique.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    556
    Default
    Hi Paul,
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    ...
    I know some people honestly believe this stuff, but there are very few things that I have never believed.
    ...
    On my part, I respect all beliefs of all people.
    For myself, on things that matter to me or that are important to me, I try to distinguish between my own beliefs and facts. I’m open to examine my beliefs.
    On my long (50 years) exploration of the possible difference between beliefs and facts, I noted that when someone has a strong belief on a certain matter, almost nothing coming from other people who don’t share that particular belief can make them examine the validity of their beliefs. Hence, I see no point in any debate, or argument, against any one’s beliefs.
    All the best to all people.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •