Thread: C200 in 2019?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. Collapse Details
    #31
    Junior Member Victor[BC]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    23
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    I'm not sure, I use it strictly for transferring and bought two of the cables just incase one ever failed out in the field. At $9 it's a no brainer to me.
    Whats the real world transfer times that you're seeing for your 256GB cards?
    thx!
    Canon C100mkii & Canon 5Div
    Semi-pro gear wh*re


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    136
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Dan, the potential situation youíre describing is basically mine for the last 1.5 yrs (minus all the traveling). Having a C200 A-cam and C200B gimbal/B-cam makes shooting a breeze and you can rest easy knowing your footage will match without having to do anything in post. The quality of footage is fantastic for the price, especially when downscaled to 1080 - gives you plenty of wiggle room to punch in on interviews, add digital zooms, stabilize footage, etc. without losing any quality.. I use EgoDisk 512s all the time no problem. If you have Canon lenses youíll love the autofocus.

    My current post work flow is to transcode to Prores 422 while baking in the WideDR LUT on corporate jobs. Saves a little space and is way easier to work with in Adobe Premiere. Iím on an iMac and Premiere hates both CRL files and AVCHD/MP4 files in my experience. Transcodes take a long time unfortunately. Also, if you have to transfer footage day of shooting to client and they have anything slower than an SSD youíre gonna be stuck on set well past wrap time. Usually in those cases I have them leave me a drive to ship back to them.

    In theory Iíd like to buy the new C500MKII, but typing this all out is reminding me of how good I have it now...

    Thanks Chris, good to know re: EgoDisk 512s.

    On the Canon lenses, I read that some of the older L lenses don't manage the autofocus as well as the newer Canon designs, is this the case in your experience?


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    136
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Yep, just had the UMP G2 for a few weeks, interesting camera in comparison to the C200.
    I've given up on Canon doing any fixes or additions to the firmware in the C200, it's done. Stick a fork in it.
    How did you find the Ursa when compared to the C200? Since I'd be coming from an Ursa Pro, which did you prefer purely from an image perspective?

    Thanks.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #34
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    9,863
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pears View Post
    How did you find the Ursa when compared to the C200? Since I'd be coming from an Ursa Pro, which did you prefer purely from an image perspective?

    Thanks.
    I like both cameras. Personally I find the UMP G2 was pretty heavy when rigged out with a V Mount, beefy lens, rods, etc. I’ll give the edge to the C200 for color and overall images. The UMPs lack of an onboard waveform monitor to me is a big negative, I hate histograms. The UMP has better menus and the EVF is so good in comparison to the just adeqaute EVF on the C200. The XLR location on the UMP is just plain bizarre and I really disliked where they are.

    Overall, I prefer the C200 better but the UMP G2 is a solid and easy to use camera. I am learning Resolve but I wish the UMP shot Prores RAW besides BM RAW. BM RAW can’t be edited in FCP X and I like FCP X a bit better than Resolve for speed. But I like Resolve a lot too.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    136
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I like both cameras. Personally I find the UMP G2 was pretty heavy when rigged out with a V Mount, beefy lens, rods, etc. I’ll give the edge to the C200 for color and overall images. The UMPs lack of an onboard waveform monitor to me is a big negative, I hate histograms. The UMP has better menus and the EVF is so good in comparison to the just adeqaute EVF on the C200. The XLR location on the UMP is just plain bizarre and I really disliked where they are.

    Overall, I prefer the C200 better but the UMP G2 is a solid and easy to use camera. I am learning Resolve but I wish the UMP shot Prores RAW besides BM RAW. BM RAW can’t be edited in FCP X and I like FCP X a bit better than Resolve for speed. But I like Resolve a lot too.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I agree regarding XLR placement on the UMP, and I'm a bit apprehensive to record interview audio directly into the UMP, where as the Canon I've recorded hours upon hours of seamless audio into a C100 mk ii so I'd be pretty happy returning to single system for sound and vision.

    Does FCPX work well with the native CRL files? Is the round-trip to Davinci easy enough? I currently edit BRAW 12:1 in Resolve on my 2019 MBP without any issue. I think from a practical production point of view the C200 is the no brainer, but I am concerned I'll end up losing time in post. Typical travel day for me will mean shooting for 8 hours then editing for 6 back at a hotel.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #36
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    9,863
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pears View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. I agree regarding XLR placement on the UMP, and I'm a bit apprehensive to record interview audio directly into the UMP, where as the Canon I've recorded hours upon hours of seamless audio into a C100 mk ii so I'd be pretty happy returning to single system for sound and vision.

    Does FCPX work well with the native CRL files? Is the round-trip to Davinci easy enough? I currently edit BRAW 12:1 in Resolve on my 2019 MBP without any issue. I think from a practical production point of view the C200 is the no brainer, but I am concerned I'll end up losing time in post. Typical travel day for me will mean shooting for 8 hours then editing for 6 back at a hotel.
    If it's something short with limited footage, I'll bring in the CRL and edit it, outputting a Prores Master. If it's a lot of footage, proxy all of the way, then re-link to the CRL for the finished cut. CRL works pretty well in FCP X for me, its just another format as far as FCP X is concerned, nothing weird or unusual once you download the Canon plug-in.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 09-16-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #37
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    9,863
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor[BC] View Post
    Whats the real world transfer times that you're seeing for your 256GB cards?
    thx!
    For me, 24 minutes.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    136
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    If it's something short with limited footage, I'll bring in the CRL and edit it, outputting a Prores Master. If it's a lot of footage, proxy all of the way, then re-link to the CRL for the finished cut. CRL works pretty well in FCP X for me, its just another format as far as FCP X is concerned, nothing weird or unusual once you download the Canon plug-in.
    Thanks. As tempting as the camera is I'm not sure the post side of it will gel. While I'll save effort in the logistics of the camera, I think I'll become frustrated compared to the relatively easy workflow of BRAW editing natively in Resolve (software I already use, compared to FCPX which I've never touched).


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #39
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    9,863
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pears View Post
    Thanks. As tempting as the camera is I'm not sure the post side of it will gel. While I'll save effort in the logistics of the camera, I think I'll become frustrated compared to the relatively easy workflow of BRAW editing natively in Resolve (software I already use, compared to FCPX which I've never touched).
    Nothing wrong with shooting the BMD cameras either, horses for courses.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •