Thread: C200 in 2019?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    There's only one CFast card slot, but you can capture lower-quality options on the SD cards while you record CRL.
    Thanks, not sure why I thought two cards.

As Puredrifting said, I'm pretty comfortable switching cards if required and I don't often split across the two cards on my Ursa so this isn't a big deal but good to know.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by indiawilds View Post
    I see no problems with the C200 CRL image for high end work. I guess it would be easy to start with 2 C200s. Recoup some/full investment and then sell off one C200 and buy a C500 II. If I would have been booked like you then I would have bought the C500II in a heartbeat.

Personally I am planning to get a C500 II. However, mostly likely I will time the purchase for a major project which I am planning.
    I agree regarding the use of the C200 for highend work, I think the CRL image is great.

3. Collapse Details
    Dan, the potential situation youíre describing is basically mine for the last 1.5 yrs (minus all the traveling). Having a C200 A-cam and C200B gimbal/B-cam makes shooting a breeze and you can rest easy knowing your footage will match without having to do anything in post. The quality of footage is fantastic for the price, especially when downscaled to 1080 - gives you plenty of wiggle room to punch in on interviews, add digital zooms, stabilize footage, etc. without losing any quality.. I use EgoDisk 512s all the time no problem. If you have Canon lenses youíll love the autofocus.

My current post work flow is to transcode to Prores 422 while baking in the WideDR LUT on corporate jobs. Saves a little space and is way easier to work with in Adobe Premiere. Iím on an iMac and Premiere hates both CRL files and AVCHD/MP4 files in my experience. Transcodes take a long time unfortunately. Also, if you have to transfer footage day of shooting to client and they have anything slower than an SSD youíre gonna be stuck on set well past wrap time. Usually in those cases I have them leave me a drive to ship back to them.

In theory Iíd like to buy the new C500MKII, but typing this all out is reminding me of how good I have it now...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Mind you, looking at your website I'll hit you up if I ever do get any local work and need some drone.
    No worries, thanks! Let me know if you ever have any questions! Our i2/x7 is currently somewhere at the bottom of the pacific ocean but its replacement is already coming so we should be up and running again very soon.

What NLE are you using for the C200? How does it go in Resolve? I'd read conflicting things re: raw camera adjustments.
    I keep holding off upgrading my computer and haven't purchased yet but I'm about to be all resolve 16. I'll report back but it looks good enough for anything I'd use it for.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Also, if you have to transfer footage day of shooting to client and they have anything slower than an SSD you’re gonna be stuck on set well past wrap time. Usually in those cases I have them leave me a drive to ship back to them
    What SSDs do you use?

6. Collapse Details
    Just a general about SSDs...there are many fast ones today, but it's about the connections too.

TB3...super fast offloads.

I have collected a mountain of SanDisks over the years...by now they are pennies:

~$100 - 1TB - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_1tb_ssd.html

Or this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._ssd_plus.html

$200 - 2TB - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_2tb_ssd.html

Still old school with USB adapters:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Notebook.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._0_to_2_5.html

Been offloading like this since 2014...same SSDs, same adapters, same computer.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    What SSDs do you use?
    I did a kajillion hours of research as well as some buying and returning and landed on this as the most reliable and best bang for the buck:
    Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 8.39.42 AM.jpg

I've found that Samsung bare SSDs are as reliable as can be and any enclosed SDD over 2TB to be 100% completely unreliable on a mac.

A lot of times on sets where I'm handing over cards I'll back up cards to this drive throughout the day so I already have one copy in the bag, and then do one big transfer from this drive to whatever they have. Saves a ton of time and I know worst case scenario if we need to audible and have me ship a drive cause it's going to take too long to transfer I have a full copy of the footage on all the cards and a full backup copy on my hard drive.

(not sure if you can read the above picture since it gets resized so small, trying again below...)
    Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 8.44.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 8.44.31 AM.jpg
    Last edited by chris f; 09-13-2019 at 08:48 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    I did a kajillion hours of research as well as some buying and returning and landed on this as the most reliable and best bang for the buck:
    Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 8.39.42 AM.jpg

I've found that Samsung bare SSDs are as reliable as can be and any enclosed SDD over 2TB to be 100% completely unreliable on a mac.

A lot of times on sets where I'm handing over cards I'll back up cards to this drive throughout the day so I already have one copy in the bag, and then do one big transfer from this drive to whatever they have. Saves a ton of time and I know worst case scenario if we need to audible and have me ship a drive cause it's going to take too long to transfer I have a full copy of the footage on all the cards and a full backup copy on my hard drive.

(not sure if you can read the above picture since it gets resized so small, trying again below...)
    Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 8.44.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 8.44.31 AM.jpg
    Is this Samsung SSD/Startech USB 3.0 cable reliable enough as an editing drive or no? The enclosed USB-C SSD's are great for editing but pricy.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, there is no difference. An enclosure and a cable coming out of it is the same thing (and just another way for companies to make a bit more money, but in this case it's logical as most consumers need the drive in a casing).

This is how everyone should have been editing many years ago but it took some time for people to realize the option and its benefits.

[I have a variety of Samsung SSDs too including that 860 chris f mentioned, which is great.]

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by npm View Post
    Is this Samsung SSD/Startech USB 3.0 cable reliable enough as an editing drive or no? The enclosed USB-C SSD's are great for editing but pricy.
    I'm not sure, I use it strictly for transferring and bought two of the cables just incase one ever failed out in the field. At $9 it's a no brainer to me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast