Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Good handheld lens?
    I am looking for a good handheld lens for the pocket 6K. Something that won’t magnify shake, keeps the camera small and lightweight. A lens that I can run and gun without a lot of accessories. Would something like this work:

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

Is this an Ef lens that will work on the pocket 6k? Will the IS work on the pocket 6K?
    Last edited by thefilmaddict; 09-12-2019 at 06:45 AM.
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

2. Collapse Details
    You may want something a bit wider as a 28mm may not provide the results you're looking for.

It's also best to ask on the official BM forum or BMCuser about that lens' compatibility with IS.

[Back in the day, that's the only way any of us really knew what worked and didn't with such a company.]

3. Collapse Details
    They also have a 24mm with IS. I am leaning toward that one. It’s a little wider. You are right, there’s quite a bit of a crop factor with that camera. The thing is, I don’t think there’s a IS lens wider than 24mm. I think IS would help for handheld.

4. Collapse Details
    There's a Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 with IS which sounds fantastic on paper and I considered it at one point, but I never had a chance to use it and I don't know if it works well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._f_2_8_di.html

But it might be too big for you.

Canon has the 16-35mm f/4L IS and some other smaller wider zooms with IS.

5. Collapse Details
    I have a zoom that's similar to that one. I kind of like the idea of going small with a lens. Would love to buy Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens. It's super small pancake, but no IS.

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    No IS but if you really need wide, the Sigma 11-16mm f2.8, 11-20mm f2.8 or Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 zooms do a bang up job.

I have used the 11-16 and 18-35 many times for run n gun work.

Most of the time I have found that I don't need IS when I'm shooting that wide.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by thefilmaddict View Post
    I am looking for a good handheld lens for the pocket 6K. Something that won’t magnify shake, keeps the camera small and lightweight. A lens that I can run and gun without a lot of accessories. Would something like this work:

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

Is this an Ef lens that will work on the pocket 6k? Will the IS work on the pocket 6K?

"run and gun" with primes lenses. Like a sprinter in track & field who has to periodically change shoes during the race. "Can you all hold up a minute, mates, while I swap shoes? And anyone got a shoe-horn handy that I could borrow? It'll only take a minute or so. Really appreciate everyone waiting on me!"
    Big sources matter.

9. Collapse Details
    In 2019, "run and gun" for many people means lightweight and the ability to move quickly (and probably inconspicuously).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    That’s exactly what I meant, no bro.

I understand the limitations of photo lenses. When I say run and gun, I mean shooting family videos. I don’t want a cage or extra gear. I just want the camera and a lens. I bought the 24mm by canon. It seems to be the widest lens with stabilization and its much smaller than a zoom lens. I think it will do the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast