Thread: iPhone 11 Pro

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I pontificated on the "Canon layoffs" thread a month ago thread that something like this would be the death of the DSLR's. Of course, I pontificated without knowing that "something like this" had already existed. This Yongnuo design isn't likely to fly far, as the sensor is too large for the body and the mount is even larger than that.

But ... a 1/2" sensor and a corresponding telephoto lens with the AF just might work.

2. Collapse Details
    Guys, there is a sneak peak of the future in this camera. When pro cameras start getting these smart features, the game is really going to change.

iPhone 11 Pro allows MULTI-LENS recording SIMULTANEOUSLY. If anyone missed that, check it out. Very cool. You can record a wide angle and ultra wide angle, or a wide and telephoto, at the same time. You'll get two separate clips saved from the different angles.

Sure, it's mobily-sharpened-electronically stabilized cell phone video. But just talking about the concept/theory here. That is really awesome especially for one-take moments. Imagine being able to get a live event shot in both medium and wide angles.

For practical uses today, this is going to get a lot of use for things like videoing your friends jumping off a cliff into water, snowboarding jumps, or other such things. In the future, this sort of tech is game changing. Imagine for example a 3 lens S35 sony alpha series camera that records all three views simultaneously to 3 separate files on the card. Wow.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    For the millions and millions of people using these phones, that's one of the best features they could ever offer. So useful.

4. Collapse Details
    1:27:40 feature demo

https://youtu.be/-rAeqN-Q7x4?t=5258

I'm not sure if its built into the stock app or not. This was from the Filmic Pro demo.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    ,,, iPhone 11 Pro allows MULTI-LENS recording SIMULTANEOUSLY. If anyone missed that, check it out. Very cool. You can record a wide angle and ultra wide angle, or a wide and telephoto, at the same time. You'll get two separate clips saved from the different angles..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    I wonder if DVXusers in 5-10 years will mostly be comparing phone models and their video capturing specs.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Imagine for example a 3 lens S35 sony alpha series camera that records all three views simultaneously to 3 separate files on the card. Wow.
    And unlike the cropping method where in post you crop into the same shot, the depth of field remaining the same, with a 3-lens system you could record at different f-stops / varying depth of field. Your wide could be deep DoF, at an F11. Your tight a shallow DoF. Or counter to habit resulting from lens physics, the wide could be shot with very shallow DoF and the tight with a deep DoF.

I've wondered in the past if any DP has shot in a manner that maintains DoF between shots regardless of focal length, altering the f-stop to counter the DoF resulting from focal length. In other words, shoot your wides at f/4 but your tights at f/8 or greater ( smaller ) in order to have the same Dof on a tele-photo shot as on the wides. The same DoF throughout regardless of focal length. This goes against the standard practice of shooting everything at the same stop and letting the DoF fall where it may. Here the aperture would be a slave to the desired DoF rather than the DoF being a slave to the aperture.

Is that last bit making any sense as written?
    Big sources matter.

8. Collapse Details
    It is. And I think what we see here is the tip of the iceberg of a new generation of cameras and mentality to shooting.

Smart cameras with a lot of CPU processing. I do think the future will be a LOT in the software, as sensor tech stabilizes more.

You could see the computer to automatically capture "equivalent DOF" on all lenses with no calculations. You could set them for constant aperture, i.e. differing DOF but all at the same lens setting. I think we'll see NLE progressions where you have a SINGLE video file containing a LOT of data. For example, one clip might contain 3-4 angles in it, or even some focal length but 3 different apeture settings. It will be like RAW for the physical side of things. We'll see plugins that do a lot of trickery with RAW codecs with multi lens arrays sucking in extra light and triangulation data that calculates physical distances, focus changes etc.

It'll get crazy.

9. Collapse Details
    Only problem is those three cameras are stuck to the same body meaning the same camera angle. That doesn't always work with three different focal lengths since one of those is going to have a ton of head room. Its cool to have this feature in a phone but I wonder just how practical it will be to use on an actual project. Attempting to position a phone just right for all three cameras to have good framing is going to be interesting.

As cool as some of these features are at the end of the day these are still cheap camera sensors and lenses with a fixed aperture. That may be ok for photos but I have serious issue with a camera where the only way to change exposure is with the shutter speed or ISO which on a sensor this small should never be touched.

I have equal issue with smartphone cameras outdoors and indoors. Indoors they are practically useless and outdoors they may look good but they tend to use a 1/120th or 1/250th shutter to adjust exposure.

Apple really needs lenses that can be tilted and an adjustable aperture then I will consider these a good professional alternative. The other option is some sort of adjustable ND filter to compensate for the lack of adjustable aperture.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    FiLMiC Pro (and others) can be used to adjust the aperture (if applicable), shutter and ISO.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast