Thread: iPhone 11 Pro

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    As an iPhone 8 user, I only have one question: is the "go back" button still on the top left corner of the screen?

2. Collapse Details
    Before we get all giddy about the Filmic Pro update and the "Multicam" feature I would point out we can already do this. The Apple camera app even on my iPhone X has the ability to swap between the 1x and 2x cameras while recording video. The updated Apple camera app on the iPhone Pro will have a switch to swap between all three.

The filmic app is not so much Multicam editing as it is a hard stop instant jump alternative to a zoom lens. Filmic Pro is just adding a preview of the different cameras vs the Apple app that has a button to swap between the cameras. Since the camera angle is the same and only a 2x zoom it isn't exactly a mystery what each camera will see and the live preview of each camera is kind of pointless.

Cool use of the technology but really not impressive at all. At least not as impressive as Apple made it out to be. Its a GUI alternative to the Apple camera app and nothing more. Even adding the front camera into the mix is not a big deal at all and some apps already allow us to do this like FaceTime.

Whats impressive is a phone can have an alternative to a 4x zoom lens. 13mm, 26mm and 52mm on a phone is pretty cool but it is no match to a good camera with a good zoom lens. Not to mention I find the 13mm on the iPhone Pro to be a bit too wide and distorted. So I'm really back to the 2 cameras on the iPhone X models. The iPhone 11 removed the telephoto camera in favor of the 13mm ultra wide which means the only way to get the useful telephoto camera is get an older X model phone or the new Pro. Apple seems to be forcing users into the pro model if they still want that telephoto camera.

I don't think Filmic Pro allows recording of each camera. By the look of the app it is clearly acting like a video switcher where you see four camera angles but you have to select the active angle. That likely means it just records a single video and feeds it whatever the active angle is. Exactly like the Apple camera app already does.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    There are those who will complain about the video/camera features on the iPhone no matter what the features are or what is missing. Then there those who will take these new iPhones and make amazing work product or even art with it. Did any of you watch "High Flying Bird"?
    Soderbergh will be all over these new ones. I've related before, I know a National Geographic photographer who 100% completely switched to iPhone shooting for stills, time lapse and video. Oh, and he was a finalist for BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year with
    his iPhone XR.

For me personally, I find the video from my iPhone 8 Plus to be a little rough but usable and we shot several scenes in our Docu Series with it when we either didn't have our "real" cameras with us or when we followed our subjects into places where we couldn't shoot with
    real cameras, it comes up a lot in documentary. The computational power combined with the economies of scale with phones mean they are the way of the future for at least lower end work and will eventually seep into medium scale work I am convinced and as we can
    see, they are even seeping into high end work like with Soderbergh and a few others. It's incomprehensible for gear heads to think of using an iPhone instead of an XT-3, A7 III or an S1H but that is exactly what will happen fairly soon, the writing is on the wall. Software and computing
    power and hopefully larger sensors will eventually solve all of the optical challenges, DOF, there are already ways to address the audio issues. It's coming guys, phones for professional video/digital cinema are almost here!
    Last edited by puredrifting; 09-11-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    What are the chances of me NOT getting mugged on the subway if I buy one of these? I'm out... @Dan. How is the Iphone 8 video?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    What are the chances of me NOT getting mugged on the subway if I buy one of these? I'm out... @Dan. How is the Iphone 8 video?
    Meh. It's oversharpened, super limited dynamic range, can look kind of rough unless you force the camera into it's sweet spot. If you can use Filmic Pro and lighting, you can keep the ISO to 20 which is where it looks decent. 64 starts to look bad and anything past that, it looks pretty rough. These tiny sensors do not
    respond well to any gain at all, yet. Any low light looks awful. The FPN reminds of of the terrible FPN on my Mavic Pro footage, which Neat video gets rid of about 80% of it. In bright, (but not too bright) daylight, it can look pretty good. I have the Moment case and 18mm
    wide angle which are fun for certain things and the Crane M although I am told by my Nat Geo friend that the internal stabilization is getting really good on the next gen phones, even his XR, he really liked. He does some testing for Apple and
    knows Tim Cook so he always gets to beta test and provide feedback. Not sure if they have it on this generation, but he said fully adjustable DOF is coming for video and can even be adjusted after the video is shot! Amazing!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks. I guess it works in a pinch...

7. Collapse Details
    Anyone know if the “Soderbergh fix” is implemented in the 11?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Anyone know if the “Soderbergh fix” is implemented in the 11?
    First you'd have to explain what the "Soderbergh Fix" is?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Thanks. I guess it works in a pinch...
    Exactly. Far from an ideal solution but handy once in a while to have, especially when shooting documentary/reality/event kind of stuff where picture quality is secondary or tertiary to getting the shot.

10. Collapse Details
    Eh, call me old fashioned, but I will never want a phone to shoot something for art or money. For candid snapshots to share with my friends, sure. We can all agree that point-and-shoot cameras are on their way out. In fact, I don't know why a single copy of a point-and-shoot camera has been sold in the past decade.

My favorite experience with a camera was for college photography 101, when the professor insisted we get a camera with manual shutter speed, aperture, and focus. My dad gave me his metal SLR, from the 1970s or '80s. Until then I had only used electronic snapshot cameras and prosumer videocameras.

Two things appealed to me:

(1) Clarity of the process, with a decluttering of all the fiddly buttons for automatic and semiautomatic adjustments. It was not until then that it crystallized in my head that there really are only three adjustments: focus, aperture, and shutter speed.

(2) The visceral experience of a good metal camera body and decent sized knobs, the feeling of turning the focus ring on a professional, well-dampened manual-focus lens.

Are there some of you who approach cameras only as tools for your day job? If so, I can understand how you would be pleased by a brain-controlled hovering smartphone that took a 360-degree angle of a scene, and you could fiddle with the framing and depth of field (like those Lytro cameras) to your heart's content in post or better yet let the artificially intelligent editing program select all that for you, some time in the year 2070.

But that process has no appeal to me, and I would still be looking for a simple, Leica-esque videocamera, with manual everything and preferably auto-nothing.

And global shutter. Still waiting...

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast