Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    The Dedo LED Fresnels have great cuts.
    +1

2. Collapse Details
    The Dedo LED Fresnels have great cuts.
    From the original DLH4 tungsten product description: "The optical system of the Dedolight surpasses the traditional concept of studio lights with Fresnel lenses. The Dedolight optical system employs two lenses, neither of which is a Fresnel. The second lens pre-collects the light, directing it to the front lens, minimizing light loss. This produces focusing range and light efficiency, especially in the spot position."

I'm pretty sure the LED series e.g. DLED 9 etc. are no different:
    "The exceptional dedolight DLED9.1 combines the unique dedolight double aspheric optical system with state - of - the - art dedocolor LED light sources."

So while they may get used in the same way, the Dedos technically aren't Fresnels.

3. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I haven't wrapped my head around the multi-function utility of the unit yet, although in theory having a small army of them with a cart of accessories does mean you are covered for a number of scenarios that would require different units...but I'm not sure that it ends up be a savings. I can't quite see using a head this large for a GEM/china ball application as those are generally overhead and traditionally much lighter (and without the housing), so this would only make sense hanging from a studio grid, not for location. I'm all for an improved Jo-Leko style unit that can punch at 5600K (I'm currently using the Source 4 Lustres which are functionally very nice, but not a ton of output) but again, it's a lot of head.

On the subject of fresnels vs pars, in the tungsten domain I use them about the same amount for different purposes. I almost always use pars for HMI (more specifically the M series Arris) because they are more efficient and we are almost always pushing them through diffusion or into a bounce. Fresnels remain great for recreating direct sun or traditional hard light applications like film noir.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    From the original DLH4 tungsten product description: "The optical system of the Dedolight surpasses the traditional concept of studio lights with Fresnel lenses. The Dedolight optical system employs two lenses, neither of which is a Fresnel. The second lens pre-collects the light, directing it to the front lens, minimizing light loss. This produces focusing range and light efficiency, especially in the spot position."

I'm pretty sure the LED series e.g. DLED 9 etc. are no different:
    "The exceptional dedolight DLED9.1 combines the unique dedolight double aspheric optical system with state - of - the - art dedocolor LED light sources."

So while they may get used in the same way, the Dedos technically aren't Fresnels.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I almost corrected my post when I remembered that, but James had already quoted me, so too late. But the moral of the story is, they're LEDs with great cuts.

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I almost corrected my post when I remembered that, but James had already quoted me, so too late. But the moral of the story is, they're LEDs with great cuts.
    Agreed, they're nice lights.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I haven't wrapped my head around the multi-function utility of the unit yet, although in theory having a small army of them with a cart of accessories does mean you are covered for a number of scenarios that would require different units...but I'm not sure that it ends up be a savings. I can't quite see using a head this large for a GEM/china ball application as those are generally overhead and traditionally much lighter (and without the housing), so this would only make sense hanging from a studio grid, not for location. I'm all for an improved Jo-Leko style unit that can punch at 5600K (I'm currently using the Source 4 Lustres which are functionally very nice, but not a ton of output) but again, it's a lot of head.

On the subject of fresnels vs pars, in the tungsten domain I use them about the same amount for different purposes. I almost always use pars for HMI (more specifically the M series Arris) because they are more efficient and we are almost always pushing them through diffusion or into a bounce. Fresnels remain great for recreating direct sun or traditional hard light applications like film noir.
    A lighting truck has all special application tools on hand, which may perform a dedicated task better than the orbiter. E.g. less lenses than a traditional PAR set, less barrels than lekos, heavier than china balls, more depth needed for softboxes compared to panels. But maybe the appeal and strength of the light comes from ease of use once set up, as well as the speed of swapping out various modifiers?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Looks great, but is it Netflix approved?

I won't use any light that is less than 4k watts.
    Big sources matter.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Looks great, but is it Netflix approved?
    I won't use any light that is less than 4k watts.
    I think it's important to point out that the Netflix requirements for lighting equipment only apply to Netflix commissioned projects, so if you're working a project that plans to pitch to Netflix, you can use whatever lights you want.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Was just thinking today- when are cameras going to get color sensors, on camera and also able to use wireless color sensors. The tech is cheap- using cards, AWB, or guessing are dated methods. Using a color meter and entering K in cameras doesn't always work well either. The color sensors ideally would work directly with the camera: taking into account the entire color science of the system.

This new ARRI light has a color sensor- that's a start.

10. Collapse Details

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast