1. Collapse Details
    Pairing with 17-120
    Quick question for those who use the 55 and Canon zoom. I’m testing out this combo today, but I noticed that the people have set it up like my FS7 where they are powering the PL mount lens via D-tap. I thought I had read that the lens could be powered and transmit info via the Cooke interface. Could it be that they didn’t know any better, or is there a version of this combo that won’t work with the electronics. Does it require a specific FZ to PL mount and maybe they have a “dumb” versión on there? Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    f5/55 you can power the CN7 through the PL mount.. lens set in menu to C (cooke) type.. plug the lens cable back into the lens .. there is a plug in the bottom side.. The fs7 I think doesn't have the right connectors in its mount for this.. oddly the Canon C300 you couldn't power the lens through the mount either..

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you. I knew this, but wondered how they didn’t know this considering they were using this kit for high end work. One of my biggest peeves is that cable dangling when it’s connected via D tap cause it always gets snagged on the tripod handle.

4. Collapse Details
    I run this exact combo and everything runs through the Sony PL mount. BUT I know people that have broken pins on the PL adapter and have to resort to “cabling” the lens(cheap bastards, if you ask me. $30K cam & $30K lens, but won’t pay a few $100 to fix the mount. Makes perfect sense). Also, I have seen some lenses since I bought mine a few years ago that did not have the connector on the side of the lens for the cable to plug/feed back into. They were some rental units on a big shoot and they had to be powered via cable-to-cable. Did some digging with my rep (not involved with that rental) and they were coming from the factory like that(not accidentally), so I don’t know if they were “special versions” or Canon changed the design, but I would check into it before making a purchase today to know for sure what you’re getting.

And yes, the C300 cannot power the lens through the mount. I have to run a Dtap/LANC cable to run it with my C300(it also cannot S/S record through the mount. But it does pass iris and focal length data and on a 300/II it can auto-focus).

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I run this exact combo and everything runs through the Sony PL mount. BUT I know people that have broken pins on the PL adapter and have to resort to “cabling” the lens(cheap bastards, if you ask me. $30K cam & $30K lens, but won’t pay a few $100 to fix the mount. Makes perfect sense). Also, I have seen some lenses since I bought mine a few years ago that did not have the connector on the side of the lens for the cable to plug/feed back into. They were some rental units on a big shoot and they had to be powered via cable-to-cable. Did some digging with my rep (not involved with that rental) and they were coming from the factory like that(not accidentally), so I don’t know if they were “special versions” or Canon changed the design, but I would check into it before making a purchase today to know for sure what you’re getting.

And yes, the C300 cannot power the lens through the mount. I have to run a Dtap/LANC cable to run it with my C300(it also cannot S/S record through the mount. But it does pass iris and focal length data and on a 300/II it can auto-focus).

Thanks. I’m going to see it today and I’ll report back about the pins.

6. Collapse Details
    I think the included Sony FZ-PL adapter is quite expensive to replace. Once I heard about the broken pins problem I gave up any thoughts of ever taking it off again. All my lenses for the F55 are electrically cold PL mount but I had considered adding the stabilized native FZ mount Sony SCL-Z18x140 until I learned how severe the lens ramping would make it nearly useless, so gave up on that plan too.

7. Collapse Details
    Update. There are 2 pins sheared off of the adapter. That’s why it won’t power it. Going to ask for another one because I don’t want the extra cable or not having rec on my thumb.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
    Update. There are 2 pins sheared off of the adapter. That’s why it won’t power it. Going to ask for another one because I don’t want the extra cable or not having rec on my thumb.
    It's unfortunately a fairly common problem. I take mine on and off a fair amount, because my primes are Canon CN-E's, but I try to be careful with the PL mount. I don't just toss it in a bag somewhere, I usually set it in the lens case or wrap it back up in the wrap I keep the Optitek EF adapter in.

I use it enough that even if some of the pins got damaged, I would either have it fixed or buy a new one. Cameras are messy enough now-a-days without one more cable hanging around.

9. Collapse Details
    Funny, you have the exact kit I was testing. 17-120 on the 55 and a 6 piece kit of the CN-e primes. I was pleasantly surprised at how sharp the primes are wide open.