Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelWorksMedia View Post
    It just feels like a wonky process that was put in place years ago and they have never updated the process.
    That's exactly right...and that also applies to other camera features that are questioned. They are worked on and finalized months if not a year or two before the cameras are released, and then at that point could be outdated or sometimes don't seem very understandable.

2. Collapse Details
    This is so upsetting. It's making me completely reconsider my entire camera upgrade strategy going forward. I was thinking about putting together the funds for a C200, thinking I would get the ease-of-use of my C100 combined with the awesome 1DX II auto focus and 4K raw, but if the face tracking auto focus on the C200 isn't up to par, then no dice.

I'd almost rather get an external recorder to use with the 1DX II for unlimited record time for long events (which is most of my work). It would be in HD only, but that's fine for most of what I do. For sit down interviews, I record internally in 4K. Audio goes into my Zoom F8. Save myself a whole lot of money by not buying a C200, continue getting amazing face-tracking auto focus with really great image quality.

So disappointed...
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    Well, I haven't been using the camera for as long as @ReelWorksMedia. But I also came from the C100 and it does feel like a significant upgrade. I did notice fairly quickly that DPAF is not bulletproof. Face-tracking does miss sometimes, which is one of the reasons I think it's important to have a separate monitor so that you can see when this happens. But object tracking has been pretty invaluable to me so far. Yes, it's another button to press. However, it has allowed me to get shots that I never would have been able to pull off with my C100 unless I had someone else pulling focus. Or I have also connected my phone via wifi a few times and had someone else pull focus with that. So, all is not lost. I've never used a 1DX ii or EOS-R so I have no baseline for DPAF efficacy, but I still think that the C200 represents a solid value.

4. Collapse Details
    If you're coming from a C100's DPAF then it's a big upgrade (C200's DPAF).

The 1DX Mark II and 5D Mark IV and EOS R are Canon's best 4K DPAF cameras.

The Sony a6400 is the world's best video AF camera, IMO. Absolutely unbreakable. If Sony puts this technology into the FX9 or whatever, mother of god...I might even buy one for $10,000, lol.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    This is so upsetting. It's making me completely reconsider my entire camera upgrade strategy going forward. I was thinking about putting together the funds for a C200, thinking I would get the ease-of-use of my C100 combined with the awesome 1DX II auto focus and 4K raw, but if the face tracking auto focus on the C200 isn't up to par, then no dice.

I'd almost rather get an external recorder to use with the 1DX II for unlimited record time for long events (which is most of my work). It would be in HD only, but that's fine for most of what I do. For sit down interviews, I record internally in 4K. Audio goes into my Zoom F8. Save myself a whole lot of money by not buying a C200, continue getting amazing face-tracking auto focus with really great image quality.

So disappointed...
    If we were having beers and you asked for my honest opinion about whether you should get the camera based on the auto focus differences between the 1DX2, I would say that that probably shouldn’t hold you back. It is a fantastic camera it’s just a slightly different method to get the results you want. And object tracking works very very well. I was just a little taken back because I expected face tracking to do the job the object tracking does. As far as the process of object tracking it only takes a split second and you just have to adjust to that style and then it’s not a problem at all.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post

So disappointed...
    I use the AF for:

- some interviews. You need enough light though. For example A cam is fine but if B cam is on the side with more shadow it can struggle.

- product shots. Sliding/panning without having to focus is amazing.

- specialized shots - e.g. following a car/horse on a long lens, also amazing.

- I've also used it on a steadicam walking towards/away from camera in a straight line with some success depending on the lighting.

While it's really really nice to have for certain situations, there's no way you can rely on it for everything.

Just rent one for the day and do lots and lots of tests. One thing which could help is changing your focus speed settings. You get more control if using a canon lens. This is where a lag can be good because it doesn't hunt instantly.

Another thing I've done that can be a major help is assign a button to lock the focus. Then button on/off as needed e.g. if people are walking in front of the camera, a huge pillar goes between you and the subject etc. I'm sure these aren't revolutionary tips if you've used the 1dx ii but just some things to include if you test yourself.

7. Collapse Details
    I used AF with my Canon 18-80 on a professional well-lit set with multiple actors going from 10ft to 2ft in front of the lens. Worked almost perfectly in most situations. My 1st AC was a little bummed he didn't get to pull focus though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12