Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Can you control the C200 with ANY touchscreen?
    Potentially dumb question...

Can a Canon C200 be controlled with a touchscreen via HDMI and/or SDI? More specifically, can I buy a C200B and an Atomos Ninja Inferno and have full access to the touchscreen autofocus face-tracking in the C200B? Or do I need Canon's specific LM-V1 4" LCD Monitor and (ridiculously expensive) UN-5 Unit Cable for that?

In other words, can a C200B be used with nothing but a battery, lens and external third-party monitor? If I don't have to buy Canon's touchscreen, cable and side grip, it makes the 200B WAY more attractive to me price-wise.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

2. Collapse Details
    You can use your phone or tablet for touch to focus using the wifi feature, but the video is super laggy and probably 10fps. Personally, I don't find it very useful for everyday use. Other than that, there is no touchscreen functionality for the C200 on anything other than the LM-V1 monitor. SmallHD and relative newcomer Portkeys have hinted that touch functionality for the C200 might be coming to their monitors, but nothing has officially been announced yet.

Personally, I operate this camera with the native LCD and an additional high-bright monitor. It's really not that bulky and gives me the best of both worlds.

3. Collapse Details
    Good to know. Thanks!
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media

4. Collapse Details
    One thing to add that may not be talked about a lot.

So...face tracking just sucks. It sucks a lot for most situations unless it's a sitting head interview. Object tracking is definitely the way to go if you want to use autofocus on moving subjects. You can just track their head if that is what you want.

When you connect your phone or tablet to the C200...it does something that the camera can not do...at least to my knowledge. It allows for dynamic touch object tracking. Meaning...where ever you touch the camera automatically just locks on to that new subject. On the camera touch screen...you need to program a button...press it...select the target...then it tracks. If you want to change targets...you need to go through that process again.

Connecting a device changes that. Its way easier to just touch anywhere on the device and it just immediately changes the target. Its super fast and I find that method of autofocus to be the money spot for Canon autofocus. Face tracking is garbage in my book unless it's a planned/rehearsed shot or an interview. Hardly ever works otherwise. Especially bad for musicians. Stick a mic in front of them and the C200 has no clue that it's a face. Loses them constantly.

The 12 bit RAW its just absolutely wonderful though. Very happy with the image.
    Last edited by ReelWorksMedia; 09-09-2019 at 07:31 PM.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelWorksMedia View Post
    One thing to add that may not be talked about a lot.

So...face tracking just sucks. It sucks a lot for most situations unless it's a sitting head interview. Object tracking is definitely the way to go if you want to use autofocus on moving subjects. You can just track their head if that is what you want.

When you connect your phone or tablet to the C200...it does something that the camera can not do...at least to my knowledge. It allows for dynamic touch object tracking. Meaning...where ever you touch the camera automatically just locks on to that new subject. On the camera touch screen...you need to program a button...press it...select the target...then it tracks. If you want to change targets...you need to go through that process again.

Connecting a device changes that. Its way easier to just touch anywhere on the device and it just immediately changes the target. Its super fast and I find that method of autofocus to be the money spot for Canon autofocus. Face tracking is garbage in my book unless it's a planned/rehearsed shot or an interview. Hardly ever works otherwise. Especially bad for musicians. Stick a mic in front of them and the C200 has no clue that it's a face. Loses them constantly.

The 12 bit RAW its just absolutely wonderful though. Very happy with the image.
    Whoa, that sucks! I thought it worked like on the 1DX II where all I have to do is touch the person's face and it tracks it. No programming button or any nonsense like that. Object tracking works exactly the same way. The camera simply knows that what I've touched is an object or a face, and responds accordingly.

Hrmph... why would they make it so much more complicated on their cinema cameras, when they had it perfectly figured out on the 1DX II?
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media

6. Collapse Details
    Because the cameras come from two different divisions. I would assume different people are working on them - maybe even on different floors or parts of the building (I don't know) - and sometimes probably not even aware of each other's work.

Most camera guys/gals also don't know (through no fault of their own) how much better DPAF works on Canon's DSLR/mirrorless cameras (like actually focusing and staying in focus). They are stills cameras and AF is one of their main focuses, so it makes sense to me.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Whoa, that sucks! I thought it worked like on the 1DX II where all I have to do is touch the person's face and it tracks it. No programming button or any nonsense like that. Object tracking works exactly the same way. The camera simply knows that what I've touched is an object or a face, and responds accordingly.

Hrmph... why would they make it so much more complicated on their cinema cameras, when they had it perfectly figured out on the 1DX II?
    I'm going to keep digging to see if there is anything buried in the menu that allows this...but I have not found it. Right now, I have the hand grip button programmed to select the object....then I have to touch the screen for it to latch on. With the phone...it happens immediately as soon as I touch somewhere.

Face tracking on the other hand has been a mess in doc style shooting and I find it not usable for professional work. Object tracking is great...but works best when a device is linked.

If someone has a work around for getting immediate touch response object tracking to work on the C200 itself (without a connected device) please let me know. I have been trying to get that to work but there does not seem to be an option and the menu and youtube tutorials do not talk about that functionality.

A little bummed about how bad face tracking actually is. I had veeery high expectations for Canon's autofocus. Through these work arounds...I would say its "passable at times" but it will not blow your mind.

8. Collapse Details
    @ReelWorksMedia

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea about this capability. What a huge oversight on Canon's part. I wonder if there is a way to connect a phone to the camera via USB for a better connection.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    @ReelWorksMedia

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea about this capability. What a huge oversight on Canon's part. I wonder if there is a way to connect a phone to the camera via USB for a better connection.
    That would be great...though I have not heard anyone mention it...and I have watched a lot of setup videos and read through manuals. I'll keep digging though. Sometimes these very particular things are not on the surface. I'll play with it more tonight.

Aside from these little frustrations....the image it spits out is absolutely lovely and a pleasure to work with.

I doubt the USB phone thing is possible as the only instruction is to connect via a LAN and type the actual IP address into a web browser. I had better expectations from Canon on this. It just feels like a wonky process that was put in place years ago and they have never updated the process.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelWorksMedia View Post
    I'm going to keep digging to see if there is anything buried in the menu that allows this...but I have not found it. Right now, I have the hand grip button programmed to select the object....then I have to touch the screen for it to latch on. With the phone...it happens immediately as soon as I touch somewhere.

Face tracking on the other hand has been a mess in doc style shooting and I find it not usable for professional work. Object tracking is great...but works best when a device is linked.

If someone has a work around for getting immediate touch response object tracking to work on the C200 itself (without a connected device) please let me know. I have been trying to get that to work but there does not seem to be an option and the menu and youtube tutorials do not talk about that functionality.

A little bummed about how bad face tracking actually is. I had veeery high expectations for Canon's autofocus. Through these work arounds...I would say its "passable at times" but it will not blow your mind.
    I too stopped using face tracking a few months after I got the C200, too unreliable and inconsistent. When it locks on, it can be very good but it often just loses the lock on the face.
    Object tracking works well but as noted, is a bit of a PITA to setup quickly. I just use zone AF-C or sometime one touch for certain circumstances. Once in a while I will also use manual focus too but it can be an exercise in frustration with fly by wire lenses.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast