Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I have the Atomos Shinobi these days and FWIW, it's the same. If I dropped it onto concrete or asphalt, it would be history I'm sure.
    I almost bought the PortKeys BM-5 instead because of its beefier all Aluminum build, but the lighter weight and better menu controls of the Shinobi won me over. We'll see how long I can use it without dropping it.

That's cool you can get a Feelworld that cheap with a metal body, kind of amazing.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I have the Atomos Shinobi these days and FWIW, it's the same. If I dropped it onto concrete or asphalt, it would be history I'm sure.
    I almost bought the PortKeys BM-5 instead because of its beefier all Aluminum build, but the lighter weight and better menu controls of the Shinobi won me over. We'll see how long I can use it without dropping it.

That's cool you can get a Feelworld that cheap with a metal body, kind of amazing.
    Pretty much any monitor would be. If I dropped either of my smallHD DP7Pro OLED's or my Focus OLED, I wouldn't expect them to survive that kind of treatment. Now my OLD smallHD DP6's or Panasonics, I think I like the chances of survival, within reason.

3. Collapse Details
    Monitor reliability has been an issue since at least 1975.

mediaburn.jpg
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

The PortKeys HS7T looks really good, except it doesn't have a battery level indicator! I wonder if I can make it work despite that...

The Feelworld Ultra Bright also looks good (and 2200 nits!) but no LUT support...

Talk to me about SmallHD monitors. On B&H I see some fantastic reviews, but also some terrible ones. I'm OK paying for the SmallHD 702 Bright if I know it works well.

I'm also open to one of the Atomos offerings, even though I don't need an external recorder. It just seems like a waste paying for the recorder part when I only need the monitor, but if it works great, then whatever.

Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by Jaime Valles; 09-08-2019 at 06:28 AM.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

5. Collapse Details
    IMO, it's actually a waste the other way around since the prices could be so close.

I understand purchasing a monitor for exact reasons (maybe it's super thin or surrounded by metal or has this and that), but if you're flexible and the price doesn't matter and you will be spending $600-$700-$800 then why not just purchase a fully-loaded monitor with recording?

The recording can be super useful when you least expect it. The hardware can even unlock the extra potential of other cameras you may find yourself renting or dealing with out and about. Flipping through LUTs on the UI in front of clients never fails to impress people (seriously, lol).

As far as SmallHD, they've been around for a while and have good monitors, but the prices can be high. Personally, I used the 502 a few times and always disliked the joystick.

I really love touchscreens and the Atomos is like an iPhone.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

The PortKeys HS7T looks really good, except it doesn't have a battery level indicator! I wonder if I can make it work despite that...

The Feelworld Ultra Bright also looks good (and 2200 nits!) but no LUT support...

Talk to me about SmallHD monitors. On B&H I see some fantastic reviews, but also some terrible ones. I'm OK paying for the SmallHD 702 Bright if I know it works well.

I'm also open to one of the Atomos offerings, even though I don't need an external recorder. It just seems like a waste paying for the recorder part when I only need the monitor, but if it works great, then whatever.

Any other thoughts?
    I’m in the ‘I like smallHD’ camp, mostly. They’ve had some bad monitors that I didn’t like, like their 17’s... But all of the ‘on-camera’ monitors that I’ve owned have all been great. The now ancient DP6 was awesome in its time, after you “calibrated” it(own 2). The old, long discontinued and ‘ahead of its time’ DP7Pro OLED is still ‘the tits’ and my favorite. After they were dropped from the line-up, I actually bought Charles Papert’s that he was selling, so that I had a second(still own both). And I recently added a Focus OLED SDI which I really like, as well. It’s obviously smaller than the DP, but it’s much quicker to rig and place, because of the tilting bracket. No screwing around with Noga arms.

7. Collapse Details
    The monitor/recorder could give you an on set proxy file to easily start editing, and a RAW master file for later. Just something to consider.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    The monitor/recorder could give you an on set proxy file to easily start editing, and a RAW master file for later. Just something to consider.
    That would kind of depend on what you're feeding it. Personally speaking, my on-camera monitors are usually fed a "dirty" signal with info. Although with some cameras, you can fairly easily toggle the overlays on & off and others it's a more involved menu dive.

9. Collapse Details
    True about the dirty feed, and I was thinking that the in camera might end up as proxy and the monitor records the RAW since that is how many have to be done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12