Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Does the Canon 90D have DPAF in 4k?
    Hi everyone

Does the Canon 90D have DPAF in 4k?

Or does the 90D only have DPAF in 1080p?
    Blackmagic 4K Production Camera | Canon XC10 | Panasonic HVX-202 | Panasonic GH2 | Final Cut Pro X

2. Collapse Details
    Yes DPAF is in 4k, but no 24p

3. Collapse Details
    In a surprising turn of events, Canon announced they will put 24p into the camera via FW (and some other cameras too).

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    In a surprising turn of events, Canon announced they will put 24p into the camera via FW (and some other cameras too).
    i know, it was a surprise.

you don't think of the overlords at canon as being responsive to the crowd's niose.

anyone have thoughts on the quality of the 90d's video footage?

sharpness? color? soc?

tia

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

5. Collapse Details
    I had some store credit and purchased a M6 Mark II. If you know what you're doing, the footage can and does look like 99% of everything else that's out there besides a handful of the obvious options which are on the next level.

IMO, there are only two levels of quality today; a noticeably true cinematic look and everything else that's just the typical high-quality letterboxed video (YouTubers).

Whether it's the 90D or the a7III or the X-T3 or the GH5, they all look the same at 24p (high-quality video). And you decide what price you want to pay for other features (AF, IBIS, 10-bit, LOG, full-frame, 4K/60p, etc).

___

Here's a cool video of an expensive cinema lens on the M50 (older sensor than the 90D):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdrn1FjkLf8&t=159s

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I had some store credit and purchased a M6 Mark II. If you know what you're doing, the footage can and does look like 99% of everything else that's out there besides a handful of the obvious options which are on the next level.

IMO, there are only two levels of quality today; a noticeably true cinematic look and everything else that's just the typical high-quality letterboxed video (YouTubers).

Whether it's the 90D or the a7III or the X-T3 or the GH5, they all look the same at 24p (high-quality video). And you decide what price you want to pay for other features (AF, IBIS, 10-bit, LOG, full-frame, 4K/60p, etc).

___

Here's a cool video of an expensive cinema lens on the M50 (older sensor than the 90D):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdrn1FjkLf8&t=159s
    If using the lens adapter the price is pretty close to a 90d, so why not pay a little extra for one? Rather than buying an eos r, I'm looking at 90d or m6 ii as a small cam. I'm leaning towards 90d for screen and type of battery.

7. Collapse Details
    Personally, I wanted the smaller and lighter camera with a native small lens (32mm).

8. Collapse Details
    I want a 90d now, it looks awesome.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    I want a 90d now, it looks awesome.
    rob-

the 90D appears to have some solid video chops ;-)

but if you look at the youtube vids, folks are decrying the 90D's video quality.

they point to image softness, pixel-binning and no all-I codec.

i am also interested in a 90D.

is norbro correct in that all these aps-c cameras produce similar video quality?

(not challenging norbro who has probably has had more of these cameras in hand than me!)

my question is, how good is the 90D's video?

good enough?

good?

stellar?

all good.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, they all produce similar video quality...on 'level 1'.

If you apply critical thinking to your question; what is good for you? What is good enough? Such a description only exists in your own mind. Our minds.

I am looking at the big picture; high-resolution images captured through great video production and then distributed online.

The Canon has great colors, and processing for pleasant 4K video.

Will you be able to shoot on the 90D or M6 Mark II (same video quality) and heavily manipulate in post? Of course not. Is the 90D great for shooting at 1pm in the blazing sun and around reflective surfaces? No. Do other cameras on 'level 1' have a sharper image. Yes.

But if you have great lighting and audio and talent and glass and camera movement and set design and many other aspects of great video production then you will have a great product. And most people are not going to notice the quality difference between these cameras until you get to 'level 2'.

You always inquiry about inexpensive stills cameras that shoot video, so I would imagine; yes, the IQ is good enough for you. (Especially since you thought the SL2 looked great at one point in time.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast