1. Collapse Details
    The Dead Don't Die (2019)
    Rockin the Boat
    Jim Jarmusch made the amazing "Stranger than Paradise" (1984) and the quite good "Down by Law" (1986) and then ran out of steam. And that's how we arrive at "The Dead Don't Die", a film that has no reason for existing. It seems more like an excuse to collect stars and celebrities like bracelets - Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Steve Buscemi, Tom Waits, Danny Glover, Cloe Sevigny and a bunch of music stars. I guess everyone wants to be in a Jim Jarmusch movie, no matter what the movie is. All that star power and to what end? The script feels lazy, aimless, pointless and uninspired. The very invocation of zombies is enervating in the extreme, and no, we don't care whether it's a satire, or commentary or whatever it is, invoking zombies is like beating a dead horse, only the horse is no longer there and you only wish you had the energy to beat anything. Seriously, ya'll, zombies are beyond played out, and have been for decades now. George Romero said all there was to be said about zombies and nothing of lasting value has been added since.

But this movie is so pointless that even trying to describe it is not worth the energy. Watching this, I kept wandering about what state of mind you have to be in, to write and direct such a pointless run of footage. What was Jarmusch thinking while doing this "ooh, this is gonna be funnnnny! yeah!" or what? Smh.

Watch it, if you feel you're going to live forever and need to fill up an eternity of time. Otherwise, skip. You have been warned.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I couldn’t agree more. I’m a huge fan of his other works. But this film just left me bored. I already find the zombie sub genre a bit boring and was wondering how he would surmount it. But he never did.

3. Collapse Details
    Down By Law is one of my favourite films of all time and I really liked Only Lovers Left Alive.
    Not a big fan of Zombie films though so not having too much hope for this one.
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

4. Collapse Details
    I went into my local movie theatre with decent expectations after seeing the trailer... but have to agree it's a big swing and a miss. I think it was trying to be mostly a commentary on us... but I felt it just missed the mark. Too bad.
    Dead Man - from 1995 is probably my favorite of his - but need to rewatch Stranger Than again since it has been way too long since I've seen it.

5. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Interestingly, the film has very poor scores on RT - both critics (54%) and audience (38%) as of today (09/12/2019) - this is pretty bad showing for a Jarmusch movie. Good. I don't think poorly made movies should be rewarded. Jarmusch should wake up and get serious about making good movies, unless he's no longer capable.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dead_dont_die_2019

6. Collapse Details
    I was quiet liking it up until the massive 4th wall breaking bit, not that I mind breaking that wall, just didn't like it here.