Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I know that few of you think about Hitachi as a camera manufacturer, but consider all the other things that Hitachi makes? Back in the 90's when I was out on Long Island for service training, the instructor joked that they were huge in other areas, everything from pencils to nuclear reactors and giant desalinization plants. The professional cameras market was less than 1% of their gross (may not be an accurate percentage).

Fujifilm photography cameras is a tiny portion of the giant Fuji empire. I want to say Nikon is similar but I'm not that familiar with them, I know they make a lot of industrial imaging equipment. Minolta used to be cameras and a lot of other things, sold it to Sony which is why their consumer camera division took such a huge leap in market share, the Maxxum/Dynax AF mount (Sony A mount) is almost still a living thing (being supplanted by E mount more every day).

Panasonic electronics components is probably far bigger than their professional camera division, and just about everyone making a camera has some of those Panasonic components in them, they make some of the best capacitors.

Right now, lighting for professional video/stills would be a hard market to get into. With several companies turning out really good product for low money, starting at the bottom is certainly a place to lose money. Shooting for the top is the only market, and going to be difficult to overthrow the leaders based on established customer loyalty (based on service life in the field). The new LED style has some benefits, but if a fixture goes bad, what do you do with it? You can't just pull a new socket out of a bin, and lamp out of a box and fix the thing during a 15 minute break like the old tungsten lights. You would need to have extra lights on hand kind of like you kept an extra ballast on hand for the HMI lights. This lack of field repair means that you need to be certain that the lights will work every time they are turned on.

2. Collapse Details
    Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi conglomerate.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Hahahahahaha
    Dammit, I want German engineered canvas filled with sand from German beaches, not some passed off Chinese or Italian canvas and sand!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Vinten used to make cameras in WW2, because they were an engineering company, who already had the machinery in the factory and critically, the staff who knew how to use it. As soon as it was no longer needed they went back to doing what they still do best. Camera supports. The old UK Strand Lighting company made lights from the 1920s - and when video lighting came to be a new market, they easily modified existing theatrical equipment to be great in the studio. When they needed lightweight, bright portable video lights they simply paired up with Ianiro and imported Italian kit and rebadged it as Strand Ianiro. Same with some of their TV designs. Panasonic make cameras, and over the years have dabbled in and out of other video products, but in the main, sales never warrant a production line, so the OEM other people's products. The microphones fitted to Sony and Panasonic ENG cameras were for years the exact same products, just brown packaging with branded stickers. This is normal practice. Vinten and Manfrotto have some identical products. Not surprising as the ownership of both companies has common parentage now. Some manfrotto products are unique to them, same with Vinten but others are the exact same product!

There's always perception too - a company that are well known for one product might really struggle. Strand Lighting in the UK in the early 80s tried to sell Strand Sound equipment - a total disaster, and it died very quickly and without any fuss. Most of the Japanese camera companies tried to market things like mixer/switchers, but sales again just didn't support the expansion, and many were quietly dropped from their ranges. The Chinese market also means a new player would need to be either exceptionally brilliant with a product, or it just wouldn't sell.

Other products are territory specific. Strand sold lighting in the US, but in tiny quantities compares to people like Mole and Leko, and perhaps in previous decades, Berkey Colortran. Berkey tried to sell lighting controls here and they soon vanished. Leko never even bothered, and while there were a few Moles in film and TV, they weren't strong, sales wise. Lighting is also a problem item. Is it electronics? or hardware? Both really - so which division claims it? It's not video, or audio, but it certainly isn't something their mechanical products would mix with? Any electronics company can make lighting, so why would Panasonic want to enter a new, and already pretty full sales area?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I think we make way more money in rice cookers than we do with all our professional and consumer cameras.
    My "National" (a Matsus*%ta brand just like Panasonic) rice cooker, which was my father's before me, is my most prized possession. Given a choice, I'd take it over all the cameras I've ever owned.

As far as cultural impact, Matsus*%ta's rice cookers will never be touched by their cameras, not even close - these devices loom larger in Asian-American culture than just about anything they could ever produce. https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt1xwfq7

edit: LOL I'm not trying to say poop here, Matsus*%ta is a different word. Moron bots drive me f'n crazy.

edit2: Wow, these moron bots even try to censor a URL! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! If any admins are still here at all, please turn off the kindergarten filter!
    Last edited by nothing; 09-06-2019 at 01:24 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    My "National" (a Matsus*%ta brand just like Panasonic) rice cooker, which was my father's before me, is my most prized possession. Given a choice, I'd take it over all the cameras I've ever owned.

As far as cultural impact, Matsus*%ta's rice cookers will never be touched by their cameras, not even close - these devices loom larger in Asian-American culture than just about anything they could ever produce. https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt1xwfq7

edit: LOL I'm not trying to say poop here, Matsus*%ta is a different word. Moron bots drive me f'n crazy.

edit2: Wow, these moron bots even try to censor a URL! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! If any admins are still here at all, please turn off the kindergarten filter!
    Yes. DVXUser is like network TV in the 50's vs. REDUser(same owner with some of the same mods) which is HBO and Showtime today(ANYTHING goes). Very annoying when this is largely made-up of adult working professionals, who basically communicate with nothing but profanity. Kind of ironic... Raise your hand if you didn't utter, or at least think, the F-word at least one or two dozen times before lunch today.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    It's the new TV industry, we aren't allowed to say those things anymore.

But I agree, turn the filter off, normally a single check box.

8. Collapse Details
    If you spell it Matshus-hita, the spell checker blinks.

Side note, private tutors used to make huge money in the former USSR (if they were any good) due to the college entrance system, requiring the actual knowledge of the subject rather than a standardized SAT type test. So, if someone wanted to become an engineer, he had to pass a written and verbal math on top of verbal physics. One of our neighbors was a 'star" physics teacher in town and was making close to 1000R/mo in private and off the books, compared to 150R-200R/mo for a typical high school teacher. He couldn't drive due to a disability and thus spent money - or his wife spent money - on home comforts and alike. One of his prized possessions was a National reel-to-reel deck. IIRC, he paid 900R for it used. We had a Soviet made reel-to-reel, which my dad bought for 100R in the early 1970's and which I used with great success for playback of a borrowed "Machine Head" in 1974.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12