Thread: 5D RAW in 4K?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    5D RAW in 4K?
    I had read ML had updated 5D to shoot 4K RAW too. But can't find any footage. Was the update released or is it only beta? Anybody use it? Is it really sharper or even close to 4K resolution? Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Not quite 4K (e.g. 3.2, 3.5 etc.), however looks good scaled to 4K on YT:

This person got 8s per clip (max).

I had 2 5D III's- kept a lot longer for stills and experimenting with ML RAW (now sold). Still looks great in 2019. Here's something I shot in ML RAW in HD. Was testing how well I could zoom and manual focus while moving around quickly. Skintones still look better than the C300 II I had and perhaps even better then the current cameras I'm using (1DX II, EOS R). I had to create improved custom picture styles to get better skintones for the 1DX II & EOS R (more DR than the 5D3 and decent AF). With ML RAW, it just looked great, straight from camera (similar comments from ARRI users). The Sony Venice also lends to this kind of look. Too bad the X-T3 and S1H don't have this kind of color (and better AF); with some work in post I could make an A7 III look like this (expect the A7S III to look more like this straight from camera when its released in 2030 ;)).

I didn't do much color grading for this test- today I'd make the skintones look even better with a small amount more work (e.g. some parts a tad too green).

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks. So the 4K is more of a gimmick then? 8 sec. is not very long. Is this card dependent or fixed limit? It records 4K basically only in funky 2.5 aspect ratio which is not even tall enough to be scope. So I guess you must crop side losing even more rez?

The 4K clip doesn't look great. Seems dropped frames or something. DR is not great. Seems bit crushed and very DSLR-ish. I know 5D is DSLR. But 5D RAW is pimped as not looking DSLR. Maybe is just the grade. Sharpness is only ok. Not great either for 4K.

4. Collapse Details
    I sold my 5DmkIII some time back. But the ML 2K raw out of it looked pretty darn good.

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by SJX View Post
    So the 4K is more of a gimmick then? 8 sec is not very long.
    Unless you want to shoot for "5 Second Films"...

6. Collapse Details
    So magic lantern 4K from 5D is just a joke? Not usable?

7. Collapse Details
    At least it resolves 4K for real? 5D mkii HD was never real HD before.
    Last edited by SJX; 10-08-2019 at 04:14 AM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Hard to info about magic lantern 4k. Almost like it is fantasy. Anybody?

9. Collapse Details
    It's mostly used for fun or for fast-paced independent projects (music videos, quick promo videos...nothing serious where someone else's money is on the line).

But does it work? Yes, it does. And it provides better quality than the cameras' internal recording, but IMO it's not worth the time spent getting there when modern 4K cameras are available for little money that will provide the same or better quality.

10. Collapse Details
    Bingo. Now if they could get the mkIV to shoot RAW 4K without the crop then it would be stop the presses. the RAW 1080p on the mkIII has tons more resolution than the internal recording. If you are an owner it is definitly worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast