Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Anyone Jumping to the S1H from the GH5/GH5S
    A few weeks ago, I was quite close to grabbing a steal on the Panasonic S1, with V-Log upgrade for $2000, USD out the door. But I just couldn't stomach the limited video capabilities compared to my GH5S, even though the video quality was magnificent. Well, here we are, and the full specs of the Panasonic S1H are here, and now I am currently in the process of selling all my gear and making the jump to the S1H! Some big features for me are:

• +14 Stops Dynamic Range.
    • 6K open gate for 4K reframe and delivery.
    • 4K 10-bit internal recording.
    • Dual Native ISO with a Full Frame sensor (Yes!!)
    • Dual I.S. 2 with IBIS (Yay!!).
    • High quality stills.

Anyone else ready to make the move into a camera?

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by estarkey7 View Post
    I'm not getting rid of my GH5 cameras ( not until the GH6 can replace them ), but I do plan on buying the S1H for low-light and better IQ when I need it. I still like the compactness of the GH5, so I want to have the option of shooting MFT or FF depending on the job.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    As much as I'd like to, I'm sticking to my S1/GH5S for now. The GH5S is simply hard to replace for the money, and I'm still getting used to the S1 and expanding my lens collection for it. Good thing is it will be easy to switch to in a year or so once more lenses are released and the price might drop a little as well, and to see what firmware updates will be done to the S1. I like what I'm getting with the S1 and it's got a nice balance of DR and low light capability while keeping manageable file sizes for 4K. There are certainly some missing features like timecode, synchro scan, and focus transition from the GH5/GH5S which are very nice to have but not deal breakers.
    Last edited by homerc67; 09-01-2019 at 08:34 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    I’m jumping from A7R2 if that counts...

I already have a deposit down on it. I haven’t been this excited about a camera in a looooong time.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Would love to but I just can't afford to move to a whole new lens mount plus a $4k body. Its a darn good camera but not that good to invest $6k+ into. I'm having a hard enough time convincing my wife to let me upgrade my GH4 to a GH5. I would likely be divorced if I even attempted to ask for permission for spend that much on a new camera setup with even the most basic set of lenses.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Not really jumping ship as I sold my GH5 for an XT3, but I'll be getting the S1. S1H is far too much for me right now.

XT3 plus the S1 is going to be my setup probably for a good long while. Until someone puts something out with electronic ND's.

7. Collapse Details
    The S1H is a killer camera, but I'm sticking with my GH5. I still keep eyeing the EVA-1 hoping the price will come down towards the $5000 USD mark. In the mean time, I'm buying full frame PL mount lenses to keep my options open.

8. Collapse Details
    I need to supplement my GH5 with a camera with better DR and sensitivity. I'd love it to be the S1 or S1H but I think the A7S3 may have even better DR and sensitivity and may also be the better business investment, considering the popularity of Sony cameras in the markets I work in. Even though I dislike Sony color, build, menus, rolling shutter...
    Whether I get the A7S3 or the S1H, I will just keep using my EF lenses (as I've been doing with a speedbooster on GH5). But I think I'd be wisest to wait for the dust to settle, read some in-depth reviews and find out how clients and producers are reacting.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by estarkey7 View Post
    A few weeks ago, I was quite close to grabbing a steal on the Panasonic S1, with V-Log upgrade for $2000, USD out the door. But I just couldn't stomach the limited video capabilities compared to my GH5S, even though the video quality was magnificent. Well, here we are, and the full specs of the Panasonic S1H are here, and now I am currently in the process of selling all my gear and making the jump to the S1H! Some big features for me are:

• +14 Stops Dynamic Range.
    • 6K open gate for 4K reframe and delivery.
    • 4K 10-bit internal recording.
    • Dual Native ISO with a Full Frame sensor (Yes!!)
    • Dual I.S. 2 with IBIS (Yay!!).
    • High quality stills.

I think that full-frame lenses are too large to be practical for handheld video recording.
    So I stick with the GH5 and hope we eventually get a GH6.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    I'm not getting rid of my GH5 cameras ( not until the GH6 can replace them ), but I do plan on buying the S1H for low-light and better IQ when I need it. I still like the compactness of the GH5, so I want to have the option of shooting MFT or FF depending on the job.
    Selling my GH4/GH5S and lens selection will fund a portion of my S1H purchase. If I can get $2500 for the bodies and 6 lenses, I'm in!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast