Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Very cool looking. DLD, is that Plasticine the same stuff that the Beatles would be singing about in Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?
    You know, "Plasticine Porters with looking glass eyes"?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Very cool looking. DLD, is that Plasticine the same stuff that the Beatles would be singing about in Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? You know, "Plasticine Porters with looking glass eyes"?
    I went-a-lookin'.

For similar reasons, John was attracted to The Goon Show, the British radio comedy programme featuring Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe and Peter Sellers which was broadcast by the BBC between June 1952 and January 1960. The Goon Show scripts, principally written by Milligan, lampooned establishment figures, attacked post-war stuffiness and popularized a surreal form of humor. The celebrated Beatle 'wackiness' owed a lot to the Goons, as did John's poetry and writing. He told Spike Milligan that 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' and several other songs had been partly inspired by his love of Goon Show dialogue. "We used to talk about 'plasticine ties' in The Goon Show and this crept up in Lucy as 'plasticine porters with looking glass ties'," says Milligan who, as a friend of George Martin, sat in on some of the Sgt. Peppers sessions.
    http://www.thebeatleshk.com/SongStor...hDiamonds.html

As a side note, Plasticine (or Plastilin, as it's called in Russian) is probably what every Soviet kid had in preschool. Below is what my set was (if I can remember something from over 50 years ago). I was never that good in sculpting things out of it. I think I tried making toy hand gun but it wasn't very stable and the barrel tended to quickly fall off.

But, now thinking about it, I remembered the smell! It was probably the die.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, the barrels were always tricky. I remember to this day accidentally breaking a potato in the sandbox when I was about 3. I am not kidding. It was devastating to me...for life apparently. I've never forgotten that.
    Joking wise: Yeah, making potatoe guns are tougher than they sound.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I went-a-lookin'.

As a side note, Plasticine (or Plastilin, as it's called in Russian) is probably what every Soviet kid had in preschool. Below is what my set was (if I can remember something from over 50 years ago). I was never that good in sculpting things out of it. I think I tried making toy hand gun but it wasn't very stable and the barrel tended to quickly fall off.

Looking glass ties dammit, not eyes! Great photo!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I went-a-lookin'.

And the sad-ass society that we live in today suspends kids, throws them in jail and wants to have them psychologically evaluated just for making a “finger gun”. Of course, we also used to go outside and actually play- you know, run, jump, swing and climb on things- when it was still okay to fall down on the real ground. Who else remembers playing ‘Army’ or ‘Cops & Robbers’ or, God Forbid, ‘Cowboys & Indians’? I bet they don’t even let them play ‘Hide & Seek’ anymore, because someone said it’s somehow tied to some type of “anti-something” thought or behavior.

6. Collapse Details
    They still play 'Hide & Seek' except now they call it 'Active Shooter Drill'. (I'll probably go to hell for that joke)

When I was in high school, my friends and I were not so imaginative. We just used to pelt each other with oranges from the grocery store, apples in the apple orchard, or goose eggs from the nest under Bryan's porch. (This was all upstate, not the metro area.) Or throw water balloons off the parking garage onto the town parade. We were such miscreants...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    And the sad-ass society that we live in today suspends kids, throws them in jail and wants to have them psychologically evaluated just for making a “finger gun”...
    This is a "finger gun" we had in the 9th grade.

And I ain't kidding. We had to assemble and disassemble it in under two minutes. (which was a piece of cake, actually) Girls too. (I don't mean we had to assemble and disassemble the girls too but that boys and girls were in the same Military Readiness class ... only boys got to shoot it at the actual Army training ground though ... no earplugs ... and that's a loud MoFo)

8. Collapse Details
    The oft mentioned Minsk based photographer Vadim Kachan (who has a son in law posting on this forum)

This is from 1985.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    When I was in high school, my friends and I were not so imaginative. We just used to pelt each other with oranges from the grocery store, apples in the apple orchard, or goose eggs from the nest under Bryan's porch. We were such miscreants...
    Things are so tame now. In grade school, perhaps when I was 10 or 11, we had a gross of M-80s. Each of us would have our pockets full of M80s. We'd light them and throw them at each other. I wonder why I have tinnitus? Now don't confuse M80s with the fake and wimpy M80s of today. M80s were originally made by the military to simulate explosives or artillery fire. Nice! They were made illegal long ago and the fun ended; stupid Child Protection Act, it ruined my youth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-80_(explosive)
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    M80, yep remember my dad tossing one in ditch across the street and hearing sirens and we turned off the lights till the police left. Potatoes were for frys and for use in a pinch to make my frozen tator tots delightful.

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast