Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Whether you do or don't upgrade A/V receiver; if it has room eq software and mic, ex. Audyssey or similar, it will delay the sound from the closer speakers so that the sonic arrivals happen together. I don't see anything problematic with your proposal, looks like a big improvement.

2. Collapse Details
    All of what you suggest is viable, but please understand that no matter what you do it can only map and compensate to a theoretical sweet spot in the room. The size of the sweet spot is determined by the size of the room and the layout therein. Atmos can't change the laws of physics, it can only adjust EQ, volume, balance, and delay. So you will still be left with determining where your ideal sweet spot is situated and trying to mitigate the rest.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3. Collapse Details
    Okay, I did see one thing..

For the sub, you are going to have some room modes, nulls and nodes; locations where certain low frequencies will disappear and concentrate. You can't fix this with a single sub unless you have a much larger room where the distance between parallel surfaces is well more than 1/2 wavelength of the low frequencies. If you were to consider one thing, it would be to add a second sub and do the sub crawl to find the best locations for each that put the listeners in the area where they are all hearing approximately the same thing, balanced low frequency sound field. I am sure you already know this, there are hundreds of YouTube videos on how to do this, phasing switch position on the sub also; as well the best source are the white papers from Harman, Dr. Floyd E. Toole etc. https://www.harman.com/sites/default...multsubs_0.pdf
    https://www.harman.com/sites/default...RoomsPt1_0.pdf
    https://www.harman.com/sites/default...RoomsPt2_0.pdf
    https://www.harman.com/sites/default...RoomsPt3_0.pdf

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Good catch Tom! I'd spent so much time thinking on the others, didn't think through this. You are right.

My sub is also in desperate need of upgrade. I'd love to get a pair of HSU subs or something, but $1500 - ouch! I'm going to research and revist this, I think I could move the sub to find a more ideal placement for now on my single, in-need-of-upgrade sub option.

5. Collapse Details
    Ok... by the time I fix this with more discreet surround speakers and Atmos upfiring speakers and a new receiver that can handle Atmos, fix my ARC issues, and get better room correction to balance this all better... I might as well just screw it and upgrade everything.

It's overdue anyway. I am looking at buying refurb or used and selling of my existing mid-entry level Polk setup I bought 10 years ago. I don't need to do it all right now, but I think I might do the receiver and rears immediately, and then look at selling my old setup and just upgrading the front stage.

Thoughts on the following?

More Immediate:

$750 Marantz 6013 Refurb (or a Denon X4500H refurb/sale)
    $400 Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos Upwards Pair, new
    $400 Klipsch RP-140D Surround Pair, New - Wall mount higher to sides, angle down
    $200 Klipsch RP-140D Rear Solo - Wall mount higher in center of couch, angle down

Soon-ish -- Seal the Deal

$820 Klipsch RP-6000F Front Tower Pair, Refurb
    $520 Klipsch RP-504c Center Channel, Refurb
    $780 HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer, Sale Price -- is this really worth it to spend so much on a sub?
    ** 2nd Sub - Should i buy a dual pair of the above, or a dual pair of a cheaper model? What's the sweet spot?

I'd assume I could get $500 used for my old towers, rears, sub on the conservative, easy/quick sell end. Maybe $750. Since the top list there with surrounds and receiver is a bit more important regardless, by the time I sell the other stuff it's actually not much more to just do a massive upgrade.

6. Collapse Details
    Whelp, there goes the rabbit....

7. Collapse Details
    haha I am going to sleep on this for 30 days.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    haha I am going to sleep on this for 30 days.
    You are wise!

9. Collapse Details
    Back to the more pragmatic and immediate question.

The side surround channels. I don't suppose I could mix/match their height? So put the right at around ear height (farther away), but the left (closer) up higher on the wall to create more distance? Or would that angle/height mismatch wreak havoc?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Back to the more pragmatic and immediate question.

The side surround channels. I don't suppose I could mix/match their height? So put the right at around ear height (farther away), but the left (closer) up higher on the wall to create more distance? Or would that angle/height mismatch wreak havoc?
    Try it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123