Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Why are RED Cameras Industry Standard?
    I was curious if anyone could provide some insight for me as to why RED Cameras are industry-standard right behind Arri with the Alexa Cameras? I know many feature films choose to shoot with the Alexa but when they don't it's usually one of the RED cameras. I not saying RED makes bad cameras but why do many production choice RED over Sony, Panasonic, or Canon when they can't use the Alexa?

Please keep this civil.
    Last edited by achieply; 08-31-2019 at 09:17 PM.

4 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    This will go well.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm going to grab some popcorn...
    Ted Ramasola
    Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

4. Collapse Details
    The Red cameras are not industry standard. Arri is the industry standard for digital cinema cameras. For Netflix originals (which have to be acquired in true UHD/4K) the Red, F55 and the Varicam 35 are the major players. Until and unless Arri releases a camera with a S35, true 4K sensor, that will remain the case. From this article, 8 of the 14 Netflix originals used Red cameras, and not for every season.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Don't forget film. Its sitting side by side with Red, but the standard seems is Arri Digital. I keep having people ask about 35 and 16mm

6. Collapse Details
    It's because Red offers 8K and resolution is very important to telling a story while most of the Arri cameras can't even shoot 4K which is required for all content on Netflix including content not commissioned by Netflix. Back in 2010 Arri used to be popular but they haven't updated their sensor once since then so most big Hollywood movies have moved on to the ever updating Red cameras. Another reason that Red is popular is because it has market savvy names and good marketing that appeal to the younger generation while Arri approaches marketing in a more straightforward and boring way which appeals to old timers who are behind the times and dying off.

My mom bought me my first Red when I was 22 and had just graduated from film school. Unfortunately my school only had Arri film cameras to shoot on so I didn't make any films until after I graduated and had a Red camera. A lot of my potential clients thought I was really cool because I had a Red camera and that made me feel good about myself and encouraged me to start making movies. I made my first movie 10 years later when I was 32 after having gone through owning 11 different models of the Red cameras, each iteration better than the previous. My first film I took my girlfriend out to a fair and filmed her eating ice cream, smiling at the camera on a Ferris wheel, laughing at a clown show, and I got lots of rack focuses from the lighting of the fair back to her face, all in slow motion with my wide open Rokinon primes. I put melancholic music to it and being that it is in 8K, the movie really has deep meaning, especially since her sister suffers from Alzheimer's.

The low light on the newest Red cameras are incredible; after spending just 15 minutes black balancing before each shot and about 10 hours denoising in post production for my one minute short film, I had a film that I knew would mean a lot to those who have suffered. And I plan to finish the edit eventually but I just bought another update of the latest Red camera and I need to figure out and purchase all the accessories for it since my previous Red's accessories are not backwards compatible, so the edit for that movie has gone on the back burner for now, plus a lot of the festival submissions aren't until later in the year, and I may want to push for a 2020 release to give more time to hype up the film.

As for Canon, Sony, and Panasonic, none of their cameras shoot 8K either, so they're all pretty pointless.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 08-31-2019 at 11:06 PM.

9 out of 13 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    It's because Red offers 8K and resolution is very important to telling a story while most of the Arri cameras can't even shoot 4K which is required for all content on Netflix including content not commissioned by Netflix. Back in 2010 Arri used to be popular but they haven't updated their sensor once since then so most big Hollywood movies have moved on to the ever updating Red cameras. Another reason that Red is popular is because it has market savvy names and good marketing that appeal to the younger generation while Arri approaches marketing in a more straightforward and boring way which appeals to old timers who are behind the times and dying off.

My mom bought me my first Red when I was 22 and had just graduated from film school. Unfortunately my school only had Arri film cameras to shoot on so I didn't make any films until after I graduated and had a Red camera. A lot of my potential clients thought I was really cool because I had a Red camera and that made me feel good about myself and encouraged me to start making movies. I made my first movie 10 years later when I was 32 after having gone through owning 11 different models of the Red cameras, each iteration better than the previous. My first film I took my girlfriend out to a fair and filmed her eating ice cream, smiling at the camera on a Ferris wheel, laughing at a clown show, and I got lots of rack focuses from the lighting of the fair back to her face, all in slow motion with my wide open Rokinon primes. I put melancholic music to it and being that it is in 8K, the movie really has deep meaning, especially since her sister suffers from Alzheimer's.

The low light on the newest Red cameras are incredible; after spending just 15 minutes black balancing before each shot and about 10 hours in denoising in post production for my one minute short film, I had a film that I knew would mean a lot to those who have suffered. And I plan to finish the edit eventually but I just bought another update of the latest Red camera and I need to figure out and purchase all the accessories for it since my previous Red's accessories are not backwards compatible, so the edit for that movie has gone on the back burner for now, plus a lot of the festival submissions aren't until later in the year, and I may want to push for a 2020 release to give more time to hype up the film.

As for Canon, Sony, and Panasonic, none of their cameras shoot 8K either, so they're all pretty pointless.
    Pretty good!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Three reasons:

(1) RED offered extremely high-quality, high-resolution digital images at a very early time during the worldwide motion picture imaging transition (from film).

[Note: Anyone with a lot of money could have done this but Jim (Oakley) is a smart businessman and saw the potential (or his team did). Other companies weren't doing enough and/or were thousands of miles away on different land across oceans. The United States of America needed strong innovation and representation. It as simple as that.

(2) Because of RED's early technological contributions they became an industry-standard option like ARRI (who was founded in 1917 and built their first camera in 1924, which is insane, BTW).

The Japanese - who are brilliant - moved too slow. (There were exceptions, but they obviously weren't good enough.)

[Note: ARRI made a digital cinema camera - which was better than everything else - at the right time. It could have been anyone. If it were a few years later (RED was still growing in 2010) it could have easily been RED that took the #1 spot, but it wasn't and once a monopoly favored choice like choosing an ALEXA has a few years to become an industry-DECISION it's borderline impossible to change.

(3) RED cameras can and do look very good. And can look very different than the competition.

[Note: Export an ungraded sequence shot in the middle of the day (sun) and it could look like any new flavor-of-the-month mirrorless, but put millions of dollars behind professionals working with REDCODE RAW and you'll quickly understand why RED cameras are at the top of the go-to list.

___

The last 2-3 years have been absolutely explosive in terms of closing the quality gap and it will be interesting to see how a new generation of decision-makers takes over. All eyes on the Sony VENICE for the next 2 years.

Because if it can't make an impact then nothing can, and ARRI and RED will be Apple and Microsoft forever.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details
    Because they can make lovely pictures, and they’re first layer of control (via the touchscreen) is less painful than most of the others.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast