1. Collapse Details
    What kind of stretchy black fabric works as a scrim net?
    Does anyone know what kind of fabric Matthew is referring to in this video?

Also, has anyone tried using a generic mesh tarp to cut background window light? I'd imagine that the background would have to be pretty defocused to prevent it from turning into a moire and aliasing nightmare.

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    We have a number of large fabric stores where you can buy stretch nylon chiffon white fabric in various widths. Like this US supplier. I've used it on home made frames made from 1" and 2" plastic conduit with 90 degree conduit bends. I've just taped the bend joints to the straight bits of conduit and stretched the material over the frames then taped or clamped as required. Once stretch it's beautifully flat. You can double or triple up the fabric by doing one or two wraps around the frame if you want more reduction. When finished with it we just roll it up onto a 2" piece of conduit with a couple of string ties around it to keep it in place. Works a treat, light weight, quite cheap and a solution that's pretty easy to transport on roof racks if you don't have a 9' van The other thing I have use is stretch Tulle, also available in many colors and widths.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/uf-737/10...n-tricot-white

Chris Young

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    We have a number of large fabric stores where you can buy stretch nylon chiffon white fabric in various widths. Like this US supplier. I've used it on home made frames made from 1" and 2" plastic conduit with 90 degree conduit bends. I've just taped the bend joints to the straight bits of conduit and stretched the material over the frames then taped or clamped as required. Once stretch it's beautifully flat. You can double or triple up the fabric by doing one or two wraps around the frame if you want more reduction. When finished with it we just roll it up onto a 2" piece of conduit with a couple of string ties around it to keep it in place. Works a treat, light weight, quite cheap and a solution that's pretty easy to transport on roof racks if you don't have a 9' van The other thing I have use is stretch Tulle, also available in many colors and widths.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/uf-737/10...n-tricot-white

Chris Young
    Chris, what's the Aussie equivalent called?

Thanks.

4. Collapse Details
    Same names mate. You have to hunt around places like Spotlight and some of the big discount material warehouses or even bulk bridal material suppliers. You can even find it on eBay occasionally.

If you want something you can use numerous times and built for the job have a look at the Tendo and Sheer Voile from Reveal Productions the staging equipment suppliers in Melbourne. Available up to 3mtr wide. Their Tendo stretch is one of the best materials you can use for large diffuse back lighting, daylight or artificial.

Re the Voile. Back in the sixties we used to buy really fine women's voile scarfs and cut them up for rear of lens diffusers. Blue ones, red ones. black and white. Long before Promist filters existed It's funny because Art Adams did an article a while back on "Behind-the-lens nets: a lost art makes a comeback." I still have numerous plastic lens filter cases with bits of various Voiles of various grades which I still use occasionally.

Chris Young

https://www.revealproductions.com.au/fabrics

https://www.provideocoalition.com/be...es-a-comeback/

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Same names mate. You have to hunt around places like Spotlight and some of the big discount material warehouses or even bulk bridal material suppliers. You can even find it on eBay occasionally.

If you want something you can use numerous times and built for the job have a look at the Tendo and Sheer Voile from Reveal Productions the staging equipment suppliers in Melbourne. Available up to 3mtr wide. Their Tendo stretch is one of the best materials you can use for large diffuse back lighting, daylight or artificial.

Re the Voile. Back in the sixties we used to buy really fine women's voile scarfs and cut them up for rear of lens diffusers. Blue ones, red ones. black and white. Long before Promist filters existed It's funny because Art Adams did an article a while back on "Behind-the-lens nets: a lost art makes a comeback." I still have numerous plastic lens filter cases with bits of various Voiles of various grades which I still use occasionally.

Chris Young

https://www.revealproductions.com.au/fabrics

https://www.provideocoalition.com/be...es-a-comeback/
    Thanks, will give some of those revealproductions products a go. The delicacy (and price) of the larger film lighting single/double nets is pretty annoying!

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks Chris, I'll have to check the fabric stores in my area of the USA, Hancock and Joann's are the ones I've driven past in Des Moines.