Thread: TV show forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    TV show forum
    Hi everybody.
    I know there are tons of filmmaking discussion forums out there, like dvxuser.
    But is there any forum out there specifally about making tv shows?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, I checked tv tropes out, but it seems to be more from the viewer's standpoint, not the makers? What I am looking for are forums about budgeting, scheduling, distribution, concept development, camera setups, lighting etc, specifically for tv shows.

4. Collapse Details
    There are quite a few online articles on the 4-camera sitcom lighting and blocking. The 1-hr drama are generally shot like a budget film, with several crews and directors. Budgeting on network TV is handled by the studios and the networks themselves. Agents will try to get the above-the-line talent mo' money anyway. Distribution is obviously handled by the very top executives and syndicate/distribution firms. Concepts are handled by the executives and the top writers/producers, many of whom have an existing development deal with a studio/network.

PS. Ever seen the "Pitch" episode on Seinfeld? It's pretty close to the reality. Sans the witty jokes.

5. Collapse Details
    You mean the "nothing" pitch?
    Yes, I guess it's still in large a closed world somehow, yet I guess with technology development the tv studio world slowly is getting democratized...
    For one, with online content there is something of a transition going on from traditional distribution by top agents into self-distribution. My notion is that online outlets (Netflix, Amazon etc) are more and more accepting toward independent producers, bypassing distribution companies.
    I've done quite some googling on the topic, yet if you find articles of interest I would appreciete any tip.
    Do you happen to have worked on a studio show?

6. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I've posted a number of notes here on various TV series I've shot, most extensively "Key & Peele". See sticky threads on the Cinematography forum.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

7. Collapse Details
    I suppose it's because film making can be a solo sport, or at least it often appears to be. individuals can make movies, hiring in the key people, but I can't imagine how any of the tV shows I've had an involvement could possibly have been done by individuals -so I suspect few people can make these kinds of programmes because of the investment in equipment and premises. I did a spell in educational TV/Media with a 4 cam quite nice studio, and when I left I invested in a portable production unit with the intention of carrying on, but in other people's buildings and it fell flat on it's face. A few music events, but before LED big screens, so just didn't work.

You can fire away with studio questions here, but I doubt there's enough traffic for a dedicated forum home.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    You can fire away with studio questions here, but I doubt there's enough traffic for a dedicated forum home.
    Yeah, my “The Good Place” and Apple TV+ threads are crickets.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    You mean the "nothing" pitch? ...

GEORGE: Everybody's doing something, we'll do nothing.

JERRY: So, we go into NBC, we tell them we've got an idea for a show about nothing.

GEORGE: Exactly.

JERRY: They say, "What's your show about?" I say, "Nothing."

GEORGE: There you go.

(A moment passes)

JERRY: (Nodding) I think you may have something there.
    As to Amazon, you can sign a "content creator" agreement with them and they'll pay their standard fee, which is 6-10 cents for a man-hour of viewing. It varies due to the different economic conditions across the globe - a show that's popular in India won't get the same payout as a show/program that's popular in the US. YouTube has different payout plans that is based on subscription and advertising. Netflix, the last time I checked, doesn't have this type of deals or arrangements. With them, you do have to pitch and getting to their offices is already a success.

PS. I've never worked on a show but I had friends who had. There are also a bunch of books out there, including various memoirs, as well as blogs/podcasts such as the one ran by Ken Levine (one of the 1970's-90's sitcom stalwarts with MASH, Cheers, Taxi, etc. on his writing resume) and Craig Mazin (Chernobyl, Hangover II) & John August (Charlie's Angels).

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I've posted a number of notes here on various TV series I've shot, most extensively "Key & Peele". See sticky threads on the Cinematography forum.

Charles, I'm struggling to recall an advantage the Sony Venice has for shooting tv shows, over other cameras. I know that isn't much information to go on, but you have any guesses?
    Big sources matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast