Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It is always refreshing when manufacturers listen to the end users.

Panasonic and SD being the best at it, imo.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    I only wish it had dual SD card slots.
    For longer recording or dual recording ?

Because these new MixPre units "auto copy to a USB drive", which I assume is happening as you record. ( i.e. a second copy is being captured to a USB drive )

You can get very tiny USB drives. I have a 32GB drive that's just a small bump on the end of the metal USB plug.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    For dual recording. I've had several SD cards fail over the years and don't want to take any chances with the master audio.

I didn't realize the USB auto copy happens live. If that's the case, then that eliminates my worries of not having a backup. Can anyone confirm that the MixPre records to SD card and USB stick simultaneously?
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

4. Collapse Details
    I didn't realize the USB auto copy happens live. If that's the case, then that eliminates my worries of not having a backup. Can anyone confirm that the MixPre records to SD card and USB stick simultaneously?
    I've looked through the manual, and it's not totally clear. But I suspect you don't get dual-media recording as you do with a 6-series recorder (i.e. 633, etc). It looks like the idea is you can just plug in a USB drive and everything is then automatically copied over without extra "start copying" commands required. But I'm not sure. I've asked SD about that (and a couple other things).

The manual is here, btw: https://cdn.sounddevices.com/wp-cont...eII8.29.19.pdf

And for my 633, I've switched over to Sound Devices branded media. I've never had trouble with approved CF cards, but did have one with an approved SD card. No probs since switching to their stuff (which I guess eliminates the chances that a particular model card's specs and design change...as happened with a Delkin card a few years ago). Cheap insurance, imo: https://www.sounddevices.com/accesso...er=354&submit=

Also, I'm most intrigued by the MixPre-II 6. Still compact, but adds ambisonic support (which is increasingly a thing around here).
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

5. Collapse Details
    It’s not recording simultaneously. It’s an “instantaneous” transfer. Shortly after recording starts, a backup copy begins transferring to the USB thumb drive. This transfer may be completed shortly after recording is stopped, but for longer takes it may continue transferring for a minute or two after cut. The SD card icon in the lower left of the display screen flashes yellow when files are copying over. If a long recording has been made, you need to watch that icon and make sure the copy is complete. If the device is powered down before that happens, the USB will have a ghost file (which can be fixed by going into the “Project” menu and initiating the “copy” function).

The adjustable limiters and 32-bit float point make the MixPre-10 II a killer deal. I’ve had my MixPre-10T for a year now and it has paid for itself three times over. As soon as my latest project wraps at the end of September, I may be picking up the MixPre-10 II (at which point I’ll be looking to sell my MixPre-10T).

For all the amazing things SD have added to the second generation, I’m a bit miffed that they decided not to fix the one physical design flaw that many of the 10T users complained about: that blasted Hirose power connection. It sticks out at a downward angle when in a bag and puts pressure on the connection. Terrible design, and the fact that the 10 II also has this means that SD decided it wasn’t enough of an issue to try and rectify. Other than that, these machines are great.

Overall, I find the biggest leaps in the MixPre II series to be in the MixPre-3 II and MixPre-6 II: adding internal TC and the USB thumb drive backup. The original 3 and 6 can utilize TC sync only when fed constant, external TC from either the 3.5mm aux in or the mini HDMI in. Not necessarily an issue... I’ve done plenty of smaller projects with my MixPre-6 and had full TC with a Tentacle Sync strapped to it... but to have full internal TC is a big leap for both machines. And on the larger shoots, it’s much easier to pop the USB thumb drive to hand to the DIT than it is to get to the SD card. Looks like I may also be looking to sell my MixPre-6 to grab a 6 II...
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    I'm just about for sure going to get a MixPre-II 6. But I'm also curious to see if they'll introduce a small version of their Scorpio as a 633 replacement. The 633 still works great, but has been around for about six years. Perhaps there will be some news at IBC or AES:
    https://www.sounddevices.com/product/scorpio/
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    I'm just about for sure going to get a MixPre-II 6. But I'm also curious to see if they'll introduce a small version of their Scorpio as a 633 replacement. The 633 still works great, but has been around for about six years. Perhaps there will be some news at IBC or AES:
    https://www.sounddevices.com/product/scorpio/
    Seems to me that they sort of did this in reverse, but not as a 633 replacement. Just looking at physical design and layout, it looks like the Scorpio followed the MixPre-10T as the much-more-capable big sibling.

Though it would make sense to add a middle tier between the two.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

8. Collapse Details
    Not really disagreeing, but I would guess (and only guess) that SD had plans for some sort of Scopio-like device already in their heads as they were working on the MixPre-10. And as cool as the new MixPres are, I'm more comfortable with a 6-series recorder on most gigs...
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    It’s not recording simultaneously. It’s an “instantaneous” transfer. Shortly after recording starts, a backup copy begins transferring to the USB thumb drive. This transfer may be completed shortly after recording is stopped, but for longer takes it may continue transferring for a minute or two after cut. The SD card icon in the lower left of the display screen flashes yellow when files are copying over. If a long recording has been made, you need to watch that icon and make sure the copy is complete. If the device is powered down before that happens, the USB will have a ghost file (which can be fixed by going into the “Project” menu and initiating the “copy” function).
    Hmmm... I'm not sure if that helps me feel better about an SD card failing during recording. That's one of the things I like most about my Zoom F8. It's a shame they didn't include that in the F6, or I'd have already pre-ordered it.

But maybe I'm being too paranoid. If the MixPre auto copy to USB drive starts a few seconds after recording, what happens if the SD card dies in the middle of the take? Does the USB copy still work?
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

10. Collapse Details
    Any improvements in battery life?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast