Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Well, mobile phones have had a lot more to improve upon than dedicated DSLR's/ILC's(not saying that what we get out of cell phone cameras isn't amazing for what they are). I can look at images from my iPhone 7 from 2016 to my iPhone X from 2017 and my iPhone 11 Pro from 2019 and see a noticeable difference from year-to-year. But none of them can touch my 5D IV from 2016. I guess to frame it another way, if you took at a body builder who has been training for years or decades already, their gains year over year are going to be much smaller and less noticeable than someone who doesn't workout and then starts to train, in earnest.
    That's certainly true. But the question for the professional is do I go with an SLR/mirrorless or a dedicated video camera? The question for the consumer is do I bother lugging around a big SLR/mirrorless or just use my phone that's always with me? Unfortunately for Canon their insistance on keeping mirrors has made their products less desirable in both cases. It makes cameras bigger for consumers and the inability to use a viewfinder is a mark against them in the professional field.

Over the past 6 years I've bought - Panasonic GH4, Panasonic G7, Sony A6500, Sony A7SII, and Fuji XT-3. I would have preferred to buy Canon since my main camera is a C200 (was a C300). But, quite simply their SLRs do not have some of the necessary features I need and downsides I don't want to live with. I mean that's 5 lost sales for Canon. If they keep insisting they don't want to sell me cameras then I expect their sales to continue to go down. They need to up their SLR/Mirrorless game.

2. Collapse Details
    The 5D series was generally priced at ~ $3,500, so naturally, it's going to be far superior to a $600-$1,000 smartphone. And, obviously, smartphone camera modules had much further to travel. But the problem with the bodybuilder analogy - Markus Rühl rules! - is that the phone-video jury is an average consumer and he doesn't want to invest $3,500 + glass into a pro tier camera. And, on some specs like resolution, these new upscale smartphones are on the level of the medium format cameras already. Now, try taking a selfie with GFX100 and then slide it into your back pocket.

So, who's left? You've got your sport/action/BiF shooters. But the portraits and landscapes have become DIY projects (have a new friend from the old country who takes gorgeous photos with a fairly outdated smartphone) for most people. I'd say that, the generation of photo-video hybrids after the next one, will be all rebadged Sony's a la A7III = Z6 = Sigma fp = S1, the same sensor with minor tweaks, different bodies and mounts and a different feature crippling. All made in the same plant in sequential order.

The point being is that lower priced cameras supported the R&D and the overhead for the prosumer/enthusiast buyers. With only the high end remaining, the Japanese Big 4/5/6 has very bleak prospects ahead.
    Last edited by DLD; 12-10-2019 at 01:39 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Found this off Vladimir on Image Sensor World, who found it via ... oh, never mind. Here's the text. The highlights are mine.

"With the continuous innovation and upgrading of technology and the promotion of 5G networks, multi-camera 2020 will increase the function of video shooting. It is expected that starting from the second half of 2020, the multi-camera + ToF ranging technology will slowly start to enhance the effect of background blur. In addition, post-shooting ToF combined with AI algorithms has the opportunity to improve the accuracy of indoor navigation, which is also a key focus of technological development. Therefore , Sigmaintell believes that the mainstream rear camera in the future will develop in the direction of main camera wide angle + video shooting + large telephoto + ToF.

The upgrade of 48M and above pixels accelerated, with a market share of about 9% in the third quarter. Among them, Sony accounts for approximately 41%, Samsung accounts for approximately 56%, and OV accounts for approximately 3%. Due to the accelerated replacement of 48M and the insufficient production capacity of high-resolution camera sensor wafers, Sigmaintell expects supply shortages from Q4 to Q1 2019.

According to Sigmaintell data , global shipments of 48M camera sensors will exceed 450 million units in 2020."
    http://image-sensors-world.blogspot....max-results=10

4. Collapse Details
    Map Camera is Japan's largest camera store - located in Tokyo - with a sizeable online presence as well. And so they have decided to release their Top 10 seller list for the month of November.

https://news.mapcamera.com/maptimes.php?itemid=32791

Let's count Canon mentions on that list.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Map Camera is Japan's largest camera store - located in Tokyo - with a sizeable online presence as well. And so they have decided to release their Top 10 seller list for the month of November.

https://news.mapcamera.com/maptimes.php?itemid=32791

Let's count Canon mentions on that list.
    Ouch

6. Collapse Details
    Ouch indeed. I'd guess yodabashi sells more cameras, being the retail chain giant it is. But it doesn't look much different over there either... Just one Canon makes the list, and it's an entry-level kit with 18-135mm lens.
    https://www.diyphotography.net/the-s...abashi-camera/

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920