Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    OnLeaks leaked (the presumably accurate) Samsung Galaxy S11 specs. The phone will probably be announced in February.

Five cameras (maybe the 6th ToF), maybe 8K, likely 5x optical zoom, the same 108 MPX Quad Bayer sensor as in Xiaomi Mi10. One might get curious whether Samsung sold Xiaomi its sensor in exchange for Xiaomi's periscope zoom, with Xiaomi agreeing to stay in its middle class of the range while S11 will be offered as a top end version. Samsung and Xiaomi combine for about a third of all smartphones sold globally at ~ 23% and 10% respectively.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    As someone who owns the C200 and a hybrid Fujifim XT-3, I don't see the two products converging for me in the foreseeable future. Until they make a hybrid with built-in NDs, RAW, real TC i/o and integrated mini XLRs, my hybrid will always be my B-camera. The XT-3 makes great looking images but it is a PITA to shoot
    handheld or even on tripod compared to my C200. Even if hybrids do eventually integrate all of these features, the ergonomics are still a lot more of a compromise for many kinds of shooting scenarios. I have no problem owning and using a real video camera and a hybrid camera, it's nice to have different tools for different
    shoots.
    This is my point in a nutshell. The two worlds (hybrid and cinema) are different. They will never be the same purchase for most. Drifting owns a Canon C200 and a Fuji hybrid. One would think a Canon hybrid would fit nicely in that kit for pros. Now why doesn't Canon want to get that hybrid sale? Because tech has moved on so much, the hybrid needs to be close on specs to be considered as they are most useful if they compliment each other rather than only using one as secondary, lesser footage. That not saying the hybrid needs to/can equal the cinema camera, but not be a weak side attempt with 8 bit codecs and crops that phones can match.

3. Collapse Details
    A lot of the features of a pro camera can be matched by any modern data cable and/or WiFi/Bluetooth. Others can be performed by an external control panel, tethered or wireless. The physical shape/layout of the camera can likewise reflect a video shooter's need. And the reason it isn't done is not because the engineers in Japan are incapable of doing that. The pro market is the last tangible source of profits for the Big 4/5/6 and the US pro gear owners have very few options unless EZ Cam, Kinefinity and, to some extent, BMD take steps to compete.*

*The Chinese companies need to have a US service presence, while BMD would need an $8.000-$10,000 camera without any reliability issues. EZ Cam and BMD are very popular at the more affordable level but they do have to fight off the emerging videocentric hybrids such as Z6 and S1,

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    A lot of the features of a pro camera can be matched by any modern data cable and/or WiFi/Bluetooth. Others can be performed by an external control panel, tethered or wireless. The physical shape/layout of the camera can likewise reflect a video shooter's need. And the reason it isn't done is not because the engineers in Japan are incapable of doing that. The pro market is the last tangible source of profits for the Big 4/5/6 and the US pro gear owners have very few options unless EZ Cam, Kinefinity and, to some extent, BMD take steps to compete.*

*The Chinese companies need to have a US service presence, while BMD would need an $8.000-$10,000 camera without any reliability issues. EZ Cam and BMD are very popular at the more affordable level but they do have to fight off the emerging videocentric hybrids such as Z6 and S1,
    I'm on a couple of Zcam FB groups too. Not saying the cams are bad, they aren't but they are having a lot of normal growing pain issues.
    Personally I wouldn't touch one for at least a year, possibly two, a lot of these issues would be a nightmare in a professional environment.

I've also noticed ZCam owners seem to have an inferiority complex or low self esteem, any constructive criticisms of the camera, it's performance
    or questioning why there is so little good looking, impressive ZCam footage in existence are met with downright hostility. It's kind of weird.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    I’ve had a ZCam E2 for a while now. It definitely has its quirks, but it’s been a pretty solid performer for me so far.

It’s mostly a b cam to my C200 and a high framerate option for when I need slow mo.

It’s well worth what it costs IMO.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    I’ve had a ZCam E2 for a while now. It definitely has its quirks, but it’s been a pretty solid performer for me so far.

It’s mostly a b cam to my C200 and a high framerate option for when I need slow mo.

It’s well worth what it costs IMO.
    So which footage from it did you see that convinced you it was worth parting with your hard money? I haven't seen any footage yet that looked REALLY good. I've seen a few that look decent but nothing great.
    With as many owners as their are (they've sold a lot of E2s), I am just surprised nobody is turning out some head turning work with them. Or if they are, they aren't posting it.
    Especially looking forward to seeing what an experienced pro DP can get out of the new S35 models, they would be more tempting to me than the M43 E2 for not that much more.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    I’ll be honest, I bought it mostly because I needed 120fps slow mo for a specific project and the client paid for it almost entirely on that one job. Philip Bloom’s slow mo video was what pushed me over the edge.

I’ll agree there’s not a ton of great footage out there... which made me wary, but after owning it for several months, it’s a valuable addition to my kit.

I was interested in the larger sensors too, but none of them offer anywhere near the HFR capability of the m43 cam. My E2 has a near permanently mounted SpeedBooster XL on it, so it actually looks bigger than S35 but not quite as big as FF. I think the effective crop is around 1.2X.

Since buying it, it’s been pretty handy as a high quality mounted cam, on the Ronin S, etc.... in addition to having something that can shoot over 60fps in 4K.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

8. Collapse Details
    The zcams look to have more latitude than BM. Bm has the orange/cyan colour palette built in.

After using both the BM4K and the zcam M43, i ended up enjoying the Black magic a little more for personal use.

The dual iso noise performance won me over, because it allowed me to use DZO T3 zoom lenses without worrying about shooting when things go dark. The BMP4K and a pair of DZO zooms is one of the most underrated packages in the game right now.

The Zcam would be good for specific projects, but might require some familiarity with the camera to get the best image. Whereas i’d take the BMP4K and go shoot a documentary. M43 and zoom lenses equals compact zoom nirvana.

9. Collapse Details
    The thing that made the ZCam a lot more usable for me was using the PortKeys BM5 monitor. The onscreen controls make things simpler.

Though recently I’ve been running mine with an iPod Touch and the ZCam app... makes settings even more intuitive.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    The thing that made the ZCam a lot more usable for me was using the PortKeys BM5 monitor. The onscreen controls make things simpler.

Though recently I’ve been running mine with an iPod Touch and the ZCam app... makes settings even more intuitive.
    Very good to know.

The zcams are already great bang for buck. Seemed to struggle in lower lighting conditions without a fast lens. So, it ends up feeling like a camera that shines more in an intentional production than a slinging around. perhaps why i prefer the bmp4K at the end of the day. Zcam isn’t going anywhere. I talked with the boss briefly. They have already been in business a long time, and their recent cine line has seemed to take the value segment by the gongjidan.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast