Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    So, to sort of get it back to the thread title.

BCN is a Japanese industry site that tracks the Japanese photo-video sales. Apparently, over there, full frame (both mirrorless and the DSLR) comprises only 10% of units sold and Sony now is the leader in full frame (but they're all tanking).
    Makes sense. The amount of human beings on earth that care about the benefits of FF enough to pay the premium for both the body and the generally larger lenses is limited to people who make money with their cameras. Not to mention there are actually crop bodies that I prefer to most FF cameras now (Fuji). Hell for most people the convenience of camera phones outweighs the benefits of having to deal with a dedicated camera at all.

On the stills side I haven’t felt the need to upgrade in a long while because the products are so mature and I’d bet a lot of others feel the same. I’m using a Fuji crop and a FF camera from 2012. If I need better quality I’d go directly to medium format.

2. Collapse Details
    http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/dw-201910_e.pdf

After an awful summer, there's been a slight rebound ... in the sense that the decline in units shipped isn't as precipitous - ~ 13% vs. 35%. At the same time, there's been a slew of discounts on many popular models. A7III is not only down to $1,800 but (insert a name of the often quoted retailer) is giving away a memory card, a camera bag, an external charger, a spare battery and a lens care kit.

3. Collapse Details
    This may also go to a "Black Friday/Cyber Monday" thread but a retailer whose name rhymes with a popular 1980's girls band "Bananarama" is giving away Atomos Ninja Inverno 7" with Sony A7RIV. On paper, it's a $500 monitor/recorder but it was $800 prior to the holidays. Plus, there's mo' stuff thrown in on top of this.

5DMKIV is $2,500 (over the years Canon had 5D in mid-$3,000's).

A7RII is $1,400. That's probably as good a deal as any. Sure, it's a four and a half year old camera but it has a 42 MPX sensor, which is more than enough for most uses.

4. Collapse Details
    PM conversation with a friend on Facebook, who was looking for a small travel camera, likely an APS-C with a pancake.

Me - hey, you were looking for a camera and there's a great deal on A7RII right now.

Him - That's OK .... went to Best Buy last week and, for the way I shoot, I'll just stick with my new iPhone

5. Collapse Details
    Canon EOS R is being discounted at $1,550. That's an RF-mount equivalent of 5D (the same 30 MPX sensor) and 5D used to be a $3,500 piece of equipment. And 5D MKIV is selling at $2,000 at Walmart. And EOS R was introduced at $2,300 only a year ago. At 35% retail markup, the wholesale would be around $1,550-$1,600, so Canon must be rebating like crazy.

6. Collapse Details
    PM conversation with a friend on Facebook, who was looking for a small travel camera, likely an APS-C with a pancake.

Me - hey, you were looking for a camera and there's a great deal on A7RII right now.

Him - That's OK .... went to Best Buy last week and, for the way I shoot, I'll just stick with my new iPhone
    Yeah, i shoot on my phone a lot these days.

That is the main reason i have always disliked the “mirrorless” compact interchangeable lens design. Too small for pro use, and too big for casual use, when a phone is always present. I found that once i got used to the Canon 1D, i could carry it around and shoot comfortably. I’ve never enjoyed shooting with a mirrorless camera, ever. Cramped controls, cramped everything, yet it still requires a pouch or some big pockets. Mirrorless either has to be even smaller, or just relax a bit and be big as it needs to be, to be enjoyable to work with.

Cellphones feel awful in the hand, but they are small and light enough to carry without noticing much. Plus they do so much. So not exactly apples to... (see what i did there?) apples.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Canon EOS R is being discounted at $1,550. That's an RF-mount equivalent of 5D (the same 30 MPX sensor) and 5D used to be a $3,500 piece of equipment. And 5D MKIV is selling at $2,000 at Walmart. And EOS R was introduced at $2,300 only a year ago. At 35% retail markup, the wholesale would be around $1,550-$1,600, so Canon must be rebating like crazy.
    What’s kind of crazy, is that those prices aren’t even exciting.

8. Collapse Details
    I vividly remember my lust over the original 5D when it came out for $3300 in 2005 and I couldn't afford it. I wouldn't use a Canon EOS R today if they gave it to me for free. Same for Nikon and Panasonic FF mirrorless offerings, and even worse for any camera with a mirror inside. I might consider an a7R IV if it was free but the a6600 is a better option *for me* anyway. I'm having a hard-enought time trying to convince myself to bring my two APS-C bodies with me to a trip to Athens, imagine if I had to carry two big and heavy FF lenses instead of these small APS-C primes.

9. Collapse Details
    Just joking here a bit, but you two guys sound like a bunch of whiners! All of these great tools available today and you can not find a way to be happy? And even consider using a phone over real cameras? What would make you happy in the future? Kind of a lot to ask to put an Alexa in your pocket for $1,200. What is a camera company to do?

10. Collapse Details
    For me it's exactly the other way around: my a6500 with Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4 is great for stills, I don't need to go for anything bigger and heavier than that; and my p4k is great for video, I don't need to go for anything more expensive than that. It's not that I can't be happy with any equipment, it's that I'm happy with what's available nowadays in the midrange market.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast