Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    They either hadn't done the Samsung 20 Ultra yet or are waiting for the promised firmware updates. The Ultra had auto focus issues and the March update didn't do much to solve the problem. So, Samsung went back to work. DxO did review the audio portion.

Anyhow, DxO rates P40 at 140 on photo (compared to 124 for the iPhone 11 Pro Max). What's more relevant is that, presuming consistency in the evaluation process, a year old iPhone X was 101, 2018 8 Plus 96 and 2017 7+ was 90, thus making P40 more than 50% "better" than a three year old Apple model. Meanwhile, a 2014 Nikon 810 has virtually identical scores to all the current full frame cameras. It's rated as 97, whereas Z7 is 99, D850 is 100, as is Sony A7RIII (gee, I wonder why).

And a long article on the topic.

https://www.dxomark.com/smartphones-...image-quality/

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure what those scores mean and how an increase translates into actual performance that people can notice in their pictures. But I see very good dynamic range, very good AI bokeh, and very good detail in all conditions (good light, low light, portrait lens), coupled with automatic processing that is better than what most people would do to their stills from a $1500 camera.

3. Collapse Details
    P40 is looking dope

4. Collapse Details
    If everything else advanced as fast as cell phone cameras have, we’d have a “cure for everything” and colonies of humans living in other galaxies, by now.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I'm not sure what those scores mean and how an increase translates into actual performance that people can notice in their pictures. But I see very good dynamic range, very good AI bokeh, and very good detail in all conditions (good light, low light, portrait lens), coupled with automatic processing that is better than what most people would do to their stills from a $1500 camera.
    Well, that's basically it. I wish they shot some charts, texts and some standard layouts under the controlled interior conditions and lighting before going outside. Nonetheless, resolution is up, low light performance is up, color accuracy is up, auto focus is near perfect, zoom works and the price is reasonable.

Now, in the comment section, there's some dissent about DxO's instant enchantment with Huawei products. This can be particular to the reviewer or the company. I know from seeing the US based smartphone reviewers, there's a greater tendency to worship Apple and dismiss Samsung, with Huawei being a smartphona non grata. Likewise, due to generally low grades given to Canon cameras and sensors, DxO is despised on Canon forums as much as anyone not named William Conrad. And most gear reviewers generally avoid negative summaries, lest they want to risk not being invited for the next trip to Maui, Miami or Milan for the next unveiling of the greatest model in the history of modeling.

And that's how it goes. Reminds of the 1980's CD player reviews, when any difference within a price range was too minute to make reading the review worthwhile.

PS. I watched a review of (Hyundai) Genesis G90 yesterday, with the very popular host livid about it not having a rear seat massager. Courses for (375) horses.
    Last edited by DLD; 04-08-2020 at 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling

6. Collapse Details
    Geez, rear seat massager. I just want Canon to put 10bit 4:2:2 in the R5...

7. Collapse Details
    And who would have ever thought you’d be talking about Hyundai and rear seat massager in the same sentence and it not really be about the back seat full of cockroaches. My how things change in 20 years.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Geez, rear seat massager. I just want Canon to put 10bit 4:2:2 in the R5...
    Things we’re still saying in 2020.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    This news made both the financial publications, as well as the photo-video related sites. Unfortunately, there was a heavy infusion of politics, so I'll provide the basic summary - in a Covid based stimulus package in Japan, $2 Billion are earmarked for shifting the production out of China and (back) into Japan. There's additional $200M for companies to shift production out of China (but, technically, not into Japan). Nikon's began moving (additional?) manufacturing into its plan in Thailand. (Olympus moved its production out of China and into Vietnam last year).

10. Collapse Details
    This whole situation makes me wonder when the R5 will be released. It was sort of talked about for this summer but I would not be surprised if it will be pushed who knows forward.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast